Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Caporegime
Fairr enough then. Mk7.5 GTI PP is not a bad choice! May I ask what exactly your requirements are?

Sure.

- Not the boggo cloth seats
- LED headlights
- Sound system, sunroof, keyless
- Adaptive chassis
- Without upgraded wheels
- Not black or white

...which makes it fairly hard to find a second hand one.

I would get a test drive of a Golf R before deciding on a GTI

God now I want an R :p. I'd be slightly paranoid about it getting stolen, though it will be garaged.

Soldato
Any good?
Yes very good, not as perfect as VCDS but there’s an active forum for any coding you may require. If you are not confident on long coding, then you can buy or attain tokens for free in which then you can spend on quick and easy coding that people have already created for whichever model.

Currently only runs on Android. Would highly recommend as it works for all VAG cars.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sure.

- Not the boggo cloth seats
- LED headlights
- Sound system, sunroof, keyless
- Adaptive chassis
- Without upgraded wheels
- Not black or white

...which makes it fairly hard to find a second hand one.

God now I want an R :p. I'd be slightly paranoid about it getting stolen, though it will be garaged.
R is overkill; GTI is the perfect balance. Not that I've driven either in Mk7 guise :p

Your options don't seem that picky, but I can't imagine there being many with sunroofs and keyless. Wheels-wise, you could always just sell them and buy the smaller ones.

Associate
Hush you. Trying to justify my purchase of a 1.4 :(
I have a 1.4 Twincharger Golf GT as well , albeit in a MK5 guise with the 170 BHP and only FWD , difference is day and night.

Id, prolly get the newer 1.5 Evo unit for the runabout when we come to replace the older Golf. Good allround if you are just driving 'normally'.

Soldato

As a cop, I wouldn't say a GTI is any less likely to be targeted than an R, it seems any of the modern performance (or performance-ish, ala GTD) VAG MQB cars are sought after for car thieves. Went to a burglary the other day where the only thing that was stolen were keys to a 67 plate GTD, clearly one where they'd only come for the car. Something like a GTI Clubsport may be even more sought after than a bog standard R, given the special recaro seats, more aggressive rear spoiler/bodykit and so on, its probably more desirable if the plan is to strip it and sell the bits.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I have a 1.4 Twincharger Golf GT as well , albeit in a MK5 guise with the 170 BHP and only FWD , difference is day and night.

Id, prolly get the newer 1.5 Evo unit for the runabout when we come to replace the older Golf. Good allround if you are just driving 'normally'.
I was originally looking at early 7.5 GTIs and Clubsports, but ultimately couldn't justify the cost. (pesky children!)

The dealer is being retarded, so probably won't have time to pick it up for another week or two, but will show off my 1.4 in here anyway :p

Associate
I was originally looking at early 7.5 GTIs and Clubsports, but ultimately couldn't justify the cost. (pesky children!)

The dealer is being retarded, so probably won't have time to pick it up for another week or two, but will show off my 1.4 in here anyway :p

I was also orginally looking at the GTI , but i couldnt stand the alloy options with the GTI at the time and also the Clubsports was not released then. The difference for me to get the R vs the GTI was around about £2K. Needless to say i test drove the R and liked it.

Soldato
I love our R. I have previously had GTIs but the 4WD is just so much better at putting the power down, something to consider. I might even change it for another this year in a different colour can’t think of anything else that ticks so many boxes.

Soldato
Yes very good, not as perfect as VCDS but there’s an active forum for any coding you may require. If you are not confident on long coding, then you can buy or attain tokens for free in which then you can spend on quick and easy coding that people have already created for whichever model.

Currently only runs on Android. Would highly recommend as it works for all VAG cars.
Thanks - may pick it up for my Mk7 GTi.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is Carista any good? (no android device here)

Honestly, I just want to code rear DRLs, and maybe needle sweep, coz needle sweep innit.
Might find a local forum member and buy him a beer instead as oil temp is standard, etc.

Might turn off fog light on turn though, utterly pointless feature and looks daft IMO.

Caporegime
Picked my new R up yesterday, blown away by the tech in it! The media functionality, car play etc. It's off to be ceramic coated in a couple of weeks so is a bit filthy from the dealers, I asked them not to touch the bodywork.

Couple of pics.

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
Picked my new R up yesterday, blown away by the tech in it! The media functionality, car play etc. It's off to be ceramic coated in a couple of weeks so is a bit filthy from the dealers, I asked them not to touch the bodywork.

Couple of pics.

The VW stuff works well doesn't it :) Does yours have the digital dials/active info display? and the normal 8" or 9.2" touchscreen?

Caporegime
The VW stuff works well doesn't it :) Does yours have the digital dials/active info display? and the normal 8" or 9.2" touchscreen?

It does indeed! It's got the digital dials yes and the normal 8" screen, no nav pro.

I spec'ed;

DSG
Lapiz Blue
19" prets
DCC
Rear camera
Black mirrors
Dynaudio

The only downside is that you can't spec keyless in the 3 door model anymore :( I would've taken that given the choice.

Back
Top Bottom