Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Watched this for the first time last night, mainly as a boredom filler. I did the same with Thor 3 the other week, and it amused me from start to finish. This bored me to tears.

-Boring
-Cliched
-Self-deprecating
-Slightly creepy
-Overly PC

I enjoyed TFA, loved R1. But this was just trash.

Luke Skywalker's droll character was epitome of the overall theme - detached, confused, belligerent, a shadow of it's former self.

Will watch Han Solo movie for kicks, but no interest in Ep9

Permabanned
Watched this for the first time last night, mainly as a boredom filler. I did the same with Thor 3 the other week, and it amused me from start to finish. This bored me to tears.

-Boring
-Cliched
-Self-deprecating
-Slightly creepy
-Overly PC

I enjoyed TFA, loved R1. But this was just trash.

Luke Skywalker's droll character was epitome of the overall theme - detached, confused, belligerent, a shadow of it's former self.

Will watch Han Solo movie for kicks, but no interest in Ep9

Other way round for me... TFA was rehash junk, there was no appreciable story to it - felt like one long "omg it's great to see you again" fluff piece.

This at least had some story progression to it and I liked the humour.

Still not the best film ever for sure, but then I've never been a huge Star Wars fan.

Caporegime
I watched this again last night. It might have been the excitement and hype forcing me to like it at the cinema, but on second viewing it is clear just how bad it really is. I enjoy the Phantom Menace a hell of a lot more tbh.

I have absolutely no hope for the third film. Can't see them doing a 'Revenge of the Sith' and blowing the other two out of the water somehow...

Soldato
I don't think I will ever watch it again to be honest.

I didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people are saying, but it certainly wasn't great.

I can reel off a huge list of what is wrong with this film. But I still kinda enjoyed it.

It's just not a proper star wars film though. It's Disneyfied and aimed at modern cinema goers.

Man of Honour
Quite excited to see this again - I thoroughly enjoyed it first time around, I do wonder how it will hold up without the intrigue as to where the plot is going.

A lot of it is unforgivably awful and yet it has little parts that are amazing but frustratingly go nowhere. R2 showing the Leia holo to Luke got me right in the feels, the Kylo/Rey skyping was interesting, Snoke for little moments was baddass, Luke/Kylo showdown had moments.

But my overwhelming feeling after watching it.... Sadness, the whole thing smacked of Kennedy's MarySue at the expense of it being just StarWars. Shoehorning men are idiots and women save everyone is 'diversity' now? The thing has aliens in it, how diverse do you need to ******* be!? Not to mention Luke, we've waited nearly 30 years to see him and they turned him in to a Victor Meldrew version of Yoda, except Yoda had a reason for his exile, Luke just wants to be left alone to die but dont mention the map he left so you can find him?

So we have Abrams who says he's a die hard fan and wanted to make a starwars movie that he would be happy to watch, we got New Hope 2.0 but he introduced elements that could be built upon. Then we get Johnson who im not sure even likes SW but just throws everything Abrams did in the trash and we are left with nothing? No mystery, just a bunch of random people going to turn up next using the force? Now we have Abrams saying this was planned all along and he LOVES what Johnson has done....yeah bull****.

Soldato
I watched it again and apart from the pointless Finn storyline I once again enjoyed it (but as per my older posts I don't hold the originals in near mythical regard like some SW fans)

Caporegime
The dreadnought part of the movie was really ":rolleyes:", "that things a fleet destroyer", but lets have a single x wing go in and take out all of its defensive turrets, then drop bombs (in space no less) onto it (hows that work exactly??). You'd think by now they would have developed weapons mounted onto their ships capable of taking out rebel fighters.

Soldato
The dreadnought part of the movie was really ":rolleyes:", "that things a fleet destroyer", but lets have a single x wing go in and take out all of its defensive turrets, then drop bombs (in space no less) onto it (hows that work exactly??). You'd think by now they would have developed weapons mounted onto their ships capable of taking out rebel fighters.

It's sloppy writing that just conveniently forgets about overlapping fields of fire. "Oh, you want to blow up one of our surface turrets? All by yourself? Good luck avoiding the fifty other turrets that are going to be shooting at you at the same time, because we learned something from all the other big battleships/stations that got blown up by little fighters."

Caporegime
It's sloppy writing that just conveniently forgets about overlapping fields of fire. "Oh, you want to blow up one of our surface turrets? All by yourself? Good luck avoiding the fifty other turrets that are going to be shooting at you at the same time, because we learned something from all the other big battleships/stations that got blown up by little fighters."

Plus, the dreadnought apparently has no shields, but the rebel cruisers are later seen taking impacts on their shields after they get tracked through light-speed, so the rebels have shields and the first order don't?. Then again their cruisers shields were conveniently missing for Leia to do her Mary Poppins in space bit and magically get through the door without it sucking anyone else out. Its just a joke of a movie that seems to have had nobody asking questions and the director surrounded entirely by yes men.

The thing that boggled my mind was why bother taking out the surface turrets when the bombers were made out of paper, seriously bombers are designed to take a crap load of abuse but at least 6? of them were taken out by TIE fighter debris? It was a literal facepalm moment for me. It's almost like Johnson Watched The Dambusters and thought "I want this...but in SPACE!".

Permabanned
Plus, the dreadnought apparently has no shields, but the rebel cruisers are later seen taking impacts on their shields after they get tracked through light-speed, so the rebels have shields and the first order don't?. Then again their cruisers shields were conveniently missing for Leia to do her Mary Poppins in space bit and magically get through the door without it sucking anyone else out. Its just a joke of a movie that seems to have had nobody asking questions and the director surrounded entirely by yes men.

It's the same for the fighters that got close to the ship and even blew the hole that blew Leia into space.

I think they tried to explain it by saying it was related to range... supposing that energy weapons lose effectiveness with range.

That has some theoretical possibility behind it... but being completely ineffective against closer-range smaller weapons like Kylo's ships tiny canons? Nah... that was big BS.

Permabanned
The thing that boggled my mind was why bother taking out the surface turrets when the bombers were made out of paper, seriously bombers are designed to take a crap load of abuse but at least 6? of them were taken out by TIE fighter debris? It was a literal facepalm moment for me. It's almost like Johnson Watched The Dambusters and thought "I want this...but in SPACE!".

Well that's a bit silly... the planet's gravitation field isn't completely useless once you get outside of the atmosphere.

The empire ship was between the rebel bomber and the planet, so the gravitational pull of the planet would have pulled the bombs in the correct direction.

Also... it's possible those bombs were magnetic or otherwise propelled... so I'd drop this argument unless you both want to seem completely scientifically illiterate ;) ;) ;)

There are plenty of other plot holes to complain about...

Back
Top Bottom