Over heating issue

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm using an old Coolermaster cm690 case with a 980TI gaming at 4k/2k. I seem to be having a problem keeping the temperature down inside the case. The metal case around the graphics card is usually warm to hot to touch after about 30 minutes of gaming.

I'm using a coolmaster COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 X heatsink on a kaby lake 7600k.

I have 2 main questions and I'm open for recommendations;
Is water cooling for cpu worth paying extra?
does the case make much of a difference to temperature?

As Rob said, what are your temps and what are you playing?
Have you fitted more fans are just using what came with the case? Also have you removed those stupid HD cages as all that front fan is doing is keeping those cages nice and cool but starving air to whats behind them.

Associate
OP
Ok so I have some stats in however this forum doesn't allow upload of images, so I'll type them out as accurate as I can.

System;
Intel i5 7600k 3.8Ghz
Coolmaster hyper 212 x
16GB Corsair 2400Mhz
MSI 980TI 6GB
256GB SSD
Asus 28" 4k 60hz
Cool master C690 case

Case fans
1x 12" front fan
1x 12" rear fan

The game is Witcher 3 Wild hunt on Ultra settings with blur turned off running at a screen resolution of 2560x1440.

Idle stats;
CPU Temp - 31-33C
4x Core speeds 4091Mhz
GPU Temp - 35C
GPU core speed - 762Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 135MHZ

1440p Gaming 58-60FPS
CPU Temp - 45-47C
4x Core Speeds - 3992Mhz
GPU Temp - 77C
GPU core speed - 1342Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 3506Mhz

1440p Gaming GPU OC - 60FPS
CPU Temp - 56-58C
4x Core Speed - 3992Mhz
GPU Temp - 78-80C
GPU core Speed -1418Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 3815Mhz

Associate
OP
As Rob said, what are your temps and what are you playing?
Have you fitted more fans are just using what came with the case? Also have you removed those stupid HD cages as all that front fan is doing is keeping those cages nice and cool but starving air to whats behind them.

Just checked the Hdd bays in this version of the case there poprivetted in.

Associate
OP
The overclock isn't at fault here the card can OC further than I'm currently pushing it as I've already tried, I've left it in the sweet spot for 1440p and 4k gaming. Each time it's crashed the pc has been hot to the touch and expelling loads of heat ,the pc easily heats the room.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I'm using an old Coolermaster cm690 case with a 980TI gaming at 4k/2k. I seem to be having a problem keeping the temperature down inside the case. The metal case around the graphics card is usually warm to hot to touch after about 30 minutes of gaming.

Your temps are fine pal, the back of the GPU will get really hot as it’s disspating heat, it does not increase the temperature of the actual GPU. I’ve tested this before with some EK back plates which get ‘hotter than the sun’, wired up a spare fan directly on the back to cool it.

Outcome cool to touch, no impact on actual GPU temp vs sun mode.

Associate
OP
Your temps are fine pal, the back of the GPU will get really hot as it’s disspating heat, it does not increase the temperature of the actual GPU. I’ve tested this before with some EK back plates which get ‘hotter than the sun’, wired up a spare fan directly on the back to cool it.

Outcome cool to touch, no impact on actual GPU temp vs sun mode.

Thanks Smffy good to know :)

Yeah those temps dont seem excessive but i would definitely get more intake fans. Does your case have the vents on the left side or is it a window? Tried taking the side panel off to see how it affects temps?

Fap I have the vents on the side, the top one is unusable as my heat sink for the CPU is close to case but the one facing the graphics card I could wire a 140mm or 120mm fan up to pushing air in. Also I've noticed there's brackets for 2 fans at the top of the case above the cpu.

So would it be worth getting 2 140mm fans one for at the top more to the front of the case pulling air down in for the cpu and a second pulling air in directly to the graphics card?

leave the current fans so that would be 1 120mm at the back pushing air out and the one 120mm fan pulling air into the HDD bays.

also any recommendations on fans? quiet is better but I understand there is a happy medium.

Yeah it wont hurt at all to get a couple of 140s in there, have one blowing on the GPU and the one at the top exhausting warm air out the case, should definitely help with air flow. As for what type, dont think you can go wrong with Bitfenix Spectres, decent airflow and pretty quiet :)

Soldato
Yeah it wont hurt at all to get a couple of 140s in there, have one blowing on the GPU and the one at the top exhausting warm air out the case, should definitely help with air flow. As for what type, dont think you can go wrong with Bitfenix Spectres, decent airflow and pretty quiet :)

I’d personally just use both exhausting heat out, don’t think blowing at the GPU does much at all to the temps of its internal components.

Soldato
Ok so I have some stats in however this forum doesn't allow upload of images, so I'll type them out as accurate as I can.

System;
Intel i5 7600k 3.8Ghz
Coolmaster hyper 212 x
16GB Corsair 2400Mhz
MSI 980TI 6GB
256GB SSD
Asus 28" 4k 60hz
Cool master C690 case

Case fans
1x 12" front fan
1x 12" rear fan

The game is Witcher 3 Wild hunt on Ultra settings with blur turned off running at a screen resolution of 2560x1440.

Idle stats;
CPU Temp - 31-33C
4x Core speeds 4091Mhz
GPU Temp - 35C
GPU core speed - 762Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 135MHZ

1440p Gaming 58-60FPS
CPU Temp - 45-47C
4x Core Speeds - 3992Mhz
GPU Temp - 77C
GPU core speed - 1342Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 3506Mhz

1440p Gaming GPU OC - 60FPS
CPU Temp - 56-58C
4x Core Speed - 3992Mhz
GPU Temp - 78-80C
GPU core Speed -1418Mhz
GPU Ram Speed - 3815Mhz

The overclock isn't at fault here the card can OC further than I'm currently pushing it as I've already tried, I've left it in the sweet spot for 1440p and 4k gaming. Each time it's crashed the pc has been hot to the touch and expelling loads of heat ,the pc easily heats the room.
With only 1x 120mm fan (I think you mean 120mm, not 12" fans) for airflow through case I'm surprised you don't have much higher temps. 1x intake and 1x exhaust fans is only 1x fan of airflow. Your 212 cooler is using 1x 120mm fan of airflow, and your 980 has 2x 80-90mm fans on it, so what is happening is your CPU and GPU coolers are flowing more than twice as much air as your case is .. meaning they are re-usiing their own heated air over and over making it hotter and hotter.

First things I would do are remove all unused PCIe back slot covers and more rear exhaust fan to bottom intake. I'm guessing that will lower temps nicely, but I can't be sure. Please let us know how it works if you do it. ;)

Soldato
Yeah those temps dont seem excessive but i would definitely get more intake fans. Does your case have the vents on the left side or is it a window? Tried taking the side panel off to see how it affects temps?
It's not only GPU temperature which affects stability.
VRM might be getting overstressed and its temperature doesn't show in GPU temperature reading.

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys, I'll report back on my setup as I've found the HHD bays unscrew and can be removed opening up the front fan to the case.

I've also found the 2 fans that came with the case 7 years ago look to be knackered and I can push the fan blades a good half a CM back onto where the bearing should be.

When is the best time to call it quits and buy a new case? XD

Back
Top Bottom