• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

OcUK Staff
Out of curiosity, is that 5% profit on wholesale price or 5% profit net of wholesale price + expenses/overheads?

If it’s the former, it’s pretty depressing stuff.

Former, so if you pay by say paypal/amazon or certain credit cards it is even less profit. When I say profit I literally just mean the OcUK landed cost, our landed cost is just the cost of product plus shipping. Overheads are not calculated into that! That is why so many companies have gone bust in the past year as they were selling everything at under 10% margin, which once you calculate in overheads they were simply drowning.

OcUK has a good business model as we make good margin typically but at the same time we do what we can, when we can to bring good deals. :)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Well done to OCUK for the special offer.

I’m sitting it out until the next Nvidia Ti anyway but a £300 weekend only deal is not to be sniffed at in the current GPU climate.

That and I’ve still got my OCUK supplied Nitro+ 480 to tide me over until then. :)

I do hope the next Nvidia range come in at prices mere mortals can afford but we shall see. Lesson learnt from the Vega launch though, if a special launch price is offered, probably best to take it.

Caporegime
well nvidia site was selling directly to customers at the actual price the other day i was gobsmacked ! 1080ti were the actual retail price while they were there.

you cant blame companies wanting to make profit.id do it.

Soldato
I find it absolutely astonishing that 1080P cards are still getting sold for £300+. The prices for these cards were already overpriced, they weren't great prices to begin with even before the memory/mining situation. If 4K on PC is to be popular with gamers, just as 1080p is now, then Nvidia/RTG need to release 4K cards at £300/400. And i mean proper 4K cards, not this half-arsed attempt at 4K, just as we see now with the 1080 Ti/Vega 64 series.

I can see me skipping another two (maybe three) generations of GPU releases, if that's the case, then so be it.
I just feel sorry for those paying current prices when they could just buy an R5 2400G and be done with it, saving tonnes of cash whilst not supporting this nonsense. Is all of this really worth it just to dial up some graphics settings?

I think the prices of the RX 480 were good at launch ($200 for 4 GB) but they launched pretty much as our currency fell due to Brexit so it wasn't as good for Brits compared to previous generations. Now we're two years on and the price of effectively the same part is about double what it was, even with the improved pound.

Soldato
£100 - £200 cheaper than anyone else isn't enough? Do you want them for free?

No, I'd like them (& other retailers) to stop being part of the problem by directly selling hundreds/thousands of GPU's to miners in bulk at a time, before they even reach the retail market, then feeding the the rest of us the scraps, at ridiculously inflated prices and then have the temerity to expect us to be grateful at the odd 'deal', when this is a problem of their making!

Yes, general costs on components have increased, but NOTHING like to the extent that can justify a price of £500 on GPU's that should be HALF that price at this stage in their product life cycle, we are talking about $20-$30 increases on the cost of GDDR5 memory, not hundreds, yet that somehow translates into £100-£200+ on the retail cost!

It's disingenuous to the core, this is a manufacturer/retailer created crap storm of greed, pure unadulterated greed.

Soldato
well nvidia site was selling directly to customers at the actual price the other day i was gobsmacked
Why, they've already sold chips to the card producers, if they can undercut them with reference models and shift even more chips that means even more profit. It's business not friendship club.

Caporegime
No, I'd like them (& other retailers) to stop being part of the problem by directly selling hundreds/thousands of GPU's to miners in bulk at a time, before they even reach the retail market, then feeding the the rest of us the scraps, at ridiculously inflated prices and then have the temerity to expect us to be grateful at the odd 'deal', when this is a problem of their making!

Yes, general costs on components have increased, but NOTHING like to the extent that can justify a price of £500 on GPU's that should be HALF that price at this stage in their product life cycle, we are talking about $20-$30 increases on the cost of GDDR5 memory, not hundreds, yet that somehow translates into £100-£200+ on the retail cost!

It's disingenuous to the core, this is a manufacturer/retailer created crap storm of greed, pure unadulterated greed.

This again!

At the end of the day, I am not going to be paying £300+ for performance that I've already had for the last 4+ years, which I also paid £300 for back then...... :o

If I am going to upgrade, it has to be at the very least 1070 performance for £300 and nothing more!

Associate
I was looking to upgrade from my 290X due to the dam heat it puts out when I game. But seeing as the 1060GTX 6gb card retails for £319 at the cheapest and I brought my 290X in 2013 for £360 I found out that in games like the division the new card would not be an Improvement at 1080p. The entry level cost of a PC to play maxed out AAA titles at 1080p Has got stupid compared to consoles prices and I feel if something doesn't give soon in pricing of graphics cards It will signal the death of pc gaming.

Associate
Seems like the MM is getting flooded with mining machines being split, not much seems to be shifting either.

Combined with the next generation of cards incoming and I think prices will tank over the next couple of months. (hopefully)

Man of Honour
Former, so if you pay by say paypal/amazon or certain credit cards it is even less profit. When I say profit I literally just mean the OcUK landed cost, our landed cost is just the cost of product plus shipping. Overheads are not calculated into that! That is why so many companies have gone bust in the past year as they were selling everything at under 10% margin, which once you calculate in overheads they were simply drowning.

OcUK has a good business model as we make good margin typically but at the same time we do what we can, when we can to bring good deals. :)

This is why I try and buy from OcUK where possible even if the price on the day is not always the lowest.

I think OcUK are the most customer orientated retailer and support people like the forum members/gamers.:)

Soldato
Seems like the MM is getting flooded with mining machines being split, not much seems to be shifting either.

Combined with the next generation of cards incoming and I think prices will tank over the next couple of months. (hopefully)
The ones appearing in the MM are all fairly small-time though, using ~5 cards and likely from people weighing up the actual benefits of having five graphics cards sitting there making noise and pumping out heat in the spare bedroom. I suspect that it'll be significantly longer before we see the people who've gone all-in on it deciding to sell up. People like this, for example:

dxrhs3nx0acsckj.jpglaxpsfe.jpg
(That's 130 1080 Tis for the record.)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
The ones appearing in the MM are all fairly small-time though, using ~5 cards and likely from people weighing up the actual benefits of having five graphics cards sitting there making noise and pumping out heat in the spare bedroom. I suspect that it'll be significantly longer before we see the people who've gone all-in on it deciding to sell up. People like this, for example:

Need a GSync monitor to go with those.

Soldato

No one's going to offload 130 cards in the MM... that isn't even within the rules.

Soldato
No one's going to offload 130 cards in the MM... that isn't even within the rules.
I don't recall saying that they were. I was responding to the idea that the market is suddenly going to be flooded with used cards because a few people on here were selling their modest mining rigs. From looking at the Twitter of the owner of the setup I posted, I can assure you that he's as bullish about cryptocurrency as ever and won't be selling those cards here or anywhere else any time soon. And said flood of ex-mining cards is only going to come if/when those kind of people sell up, rather than Dan the Daggerman from Dagenham offloading that silly PC in the spare room that the wife keeps moaning about.

Associate

Thats pretty impressive, what brand are they?

You are right about it being the more casual users, but I see it as the tip of the iceberg. If the next generation cards substantially increase hashrate VS power consumption the miners will upgrade and they will get what they can for their old cards.

Back
Top Bottom