Worth upgrading my cpu, ram and mobo?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm currently running a 3930k, Asus x79 sabertooth mobo with 16gb of Samsung green and looking for advice.

I'm looking at making the jump to 4k gaming and from what I can see online through calculators I'd see an 8% bottleneck if I dropped a 1080 ti in there. That sounds pretty liveable but not ideal.

I'm in no rush though and am wondering if there's a cpu thats worth the cost of an upgrade as performance wise alone the 3930k still sits quite pretty?

Other than cost the only other factor I'm concerned with is if I wait for volta will bottlenecking be even more of a problem with my current set up?

Permabanned
No, it's currently at stock I've never been confident enough to Overclockers.
Well on X79 it is fairly straight forward as long as you're not using a stock cooler. It should pretty much eliminate any bottle neck at 4K.

The vast majority of 3930k will do 4.5Ghz with a minor bump on voltage. Here are some great videos done by an Asus motherboard engineer that will get you up to speed.

Part 3 never seemed to materialise though you probably won't need to go that advanced.

Over the years I've overclocked over 20 3930k's and all bar 1 did at least 4.7Ghz with voltage set to 1.39v or lower. (I would keep to 1.40v or below).

Many of them did this with only a change in voltage and Load Line Calibration set to High. Everything else left at default/auto settings.

Permabanned
So many settings in those videos...

So just two settings to change?
I would just start off by setting the voltage to 1.35v and under DIGI+ Power Control, change the LLC (CPU Load Line Calibration) to High and then set the AI Overclock to XMP as this will take care of your memory speed as there is little need to overclock memory on X79.

Then just change the Turbo Ratio from Auto to Sync All Cores and start with 42 which will be 4.2Ghz. Save that and download Realbench and use the stress test for say 5mins, then if it passes that try 43 and so on until it fails. Then you can add some voltage if your temps are good. (Realbench has a temperature display built in)
http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBe...22.104772541.1520982200-1972481233.1520982200

Back
Top Bottom