PC NOOB Graphics Card Upgrade Help!

Associate
Hi Peeps!

Ac complete Noob to PC gaming but managed to pick myself up a gaming PC (entry Level)

Spec here:
ADMI RD21 Gaming PC Package: Versatile Desktop Computer with 21.5 Inch 1080p Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse Set (AMD A6-6400K 4.1GHz Dual Core CPU with Radeon HD 8470D Graphics, USB 3.0, 500W PSU, 1TB Hard Drive, 8GB RAM, 24 x DVDRW Drive

I have this hooked up via HDMI to my 65' TV and wanted to improve the graphics card for playing games like, American Truck Sim, Fortnite and Possibly playing AAA title games later on.

Question is what Graphics Card do I look at buying to make sure I will notice the difference without breaking the bank? Id say under £200 ideally or less... Do I then need anything else for it work run ok?

Thanks in advance....

Soldato
Hi Peeps!

Ac complete Noob to PC gaming but managed to pick myself up a gaming PC (entry Level)

Spec here:
ADMI RD21 Gaming PC Package: Versatile Desktop Computer with 21.5 Inch 1080p Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse Set (AMD A6-6400K 4.1GHz Dual Core CPU with Radeon HD 8470D Graphics, USB 3.0, 500W PSU, 1TB Hard Drive, 8GB RAM, 24 x DVDRW Drive

I have this hooked up via HDMI to my 65' TV and wanted to improve the graphics card for playing games like, American Truck Sim, Fortnite and Possibly playing AAA title games later on.

Question is what Graphics Card do I look at buying to make sure I will notice the difference without breaking the bank? Id say under £200 ideally or less... Do I then need anything else for it work run ok?

Thanks in advance....

able to send it back ? :D

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...yzen-raven-ridge-ryzen-3-2200g-fs-1ca-og.html

Soldato
Only paid £150.00 for it and it runs more than fine! Just graphics card is required for the min..:p

nice! sorry googled and it popped up on rainforest for £450 odd... and i cried.

gtx 1050

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £119.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

would normally suggest gtx 1050ti but APU is weak , and is a step up from current 8470d

with £200 could slap in better apu/cpu unit as most games now moving onto 4 threads for min/recommended spec
will have to check if board can support FM2+ though

Total: £203.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
nice! sorry googled and it popped up on rainforest for £450 odd... and i cried.

gtx 1050

Total: £119.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

would normally suggest gtx 1050ti but APU is weak , and is a step up from current 8470d

with £200 could slap in better apu/cpu unit as most games now moving onto 4 threads for min/recommended spec
will have to check if board can support FM2+ though

Total: £203.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)
Awesome thanks so much for your thoughts, so basically your basket will improve my overall graphics quality? Thanks.!

Soldato
Awesome thanks so much for your thoughts, so basically your basket will improve my overall graphics quality? Thanks.!

top one yes, bottom one will improve all aspects - have a wait what others say as well- worth getting a few view points .
if your board is able to support fm2+, above chip or Athlon X4 or X3 then even better

Associate
OP
Ok a friend has recommended the following: MSI GEFORCE GTX 750TI Graphics Card and also Radeon R7 Graphics (4 CPU + 8 GPU)
Good buy or should I spend more on the Graphics Card ONLY and but the 1050ti?

Thanks again guys....:p

Soldato
Ok a friend has recommended the following: MSI GEFORCE GTX 750TI Graphics Card and also Radeon R7 Graphics (4 CPU + 8 GPU)
Good buy or should I spend more on the Graphics Card ONLY and but the 1050ti?

Thanks again guys....:p

both based on strong CPU then yours currently so fps will be lower

stick with the gtx 1050 - normally we WOULD recommend the gtx 1050 Ti for your budget! but that cpu might hinder its performance - if you can find out your mobo make, if it takes FM2+ then you can grab GPU and CPU for your budget price

Associate
OP
both based on strong CPU then yours currently so fps will be lower

stick with the gtx 1050 - normally we WOULD recommend the gtx 1050 Ti for your budget! but that cpu might hinder its performance - if you can find out your mobo make, if it takes FM2+ then you can grab GPU and CPU for your budget price
Your too kind!
So below is screenshot of my spec, Happy to spend say £200 in total on just a graphics card and a CPU if you suggest, what would you buy if you was in my shoes :) Thanks again so appreciated!

Associate
That CPU is shockingly bad for gaming. That whole platform is not ideal - FM2+ best processor is something like 860K - perfectly good for Euro Truck Sim, Farming Simulator, e-sports games like Overwatch/CS GO etc and I'd say Fortnite would be fine too.

Not great for CPU intensive AAA titles though, so a dead end platform in some ways. But for the games you mentioned so far, perfectly good....and the 860K can be had for about £30 so I'd say go for that plus a GTX1050.

As it is though a 6400K is pretty super low end, not sure I'd pair a GTX1050 with one.

Also consider that £150 is a lot of money for a 6400K machine if 2nd hand. You can get 3rd gen i5's on Ebay for the same price which would be 4x faster.

Associate
OP
That CPU is shockingly bad for gaming. That whole platform is not ideal - FM2+ best processor is something like 860K - perfectly good for Euro Truck Sim, Farming Simulator, e-sports games like Overwatch/CS GO etc and I'd say Fortnite would be fine too.

Not great for CPU intensive AAA titles though, so a dead end platform in some ways. But for the games you mentioned so far, perfectly good....and the 860K can be had for about £30 so I'd say go for that plus a GTX1050.

As it is though a 6400K is pretty super low end, not sure I'd pair a GTX1050 with one.

Also consider that £150 is a lot of money for a 6400K machine if 2nd hand. You can get 3rd gen i5's on Ebay for the same price which would be 4x faster.

OK Thanks so what would you buy to make the machine better? Thanks again !

Soldato
@Phil Warren Bingo!

supports FM2+

• Socket FM2+ supports AMD FM2+/FM2 A-series APU

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A78M-HD2-rev-30#ov

BUT you'll want to make sure on on the latest BIOS! F3d

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A78M-HD2-rev-30#support-dl

means you can grab the suggested GTX 1050 and FM2+ CPU i posted- should give a must better boost for you then current dual core and gpu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bingo!

supports FM2+

• Socket FM2+ supports AMD FM2+/FM2 A-series APU

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A78M-HD2-rev-30#ov

BUT you'll want to make sure on on the latest BIOS! F3d

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A78M-HD2-rev-30#support-dl

means you can grab the suggested GTX 1050 and FM2+ CPU i posted- should give a must better boost for you then current dual core and gpu

would have preferred to quote Althon X4 but none in stock- might be worth a google, but either way 4 core chip will perform better then current dual core

Amazing so Il order them both and will notice big step up in graphics and speed of machine?

Soldato
Amazing so Il order them both and will notice big step up in graphics and speed of machine?

you should see a difference ! how much- i couldn't honestly say ! did the System come with the mobo box? worth check again just to see if its version 3.0 or 3.1 but I had a look and that model number doesn't exist for FM2 non PLUS sockets :)
Worth checking BIOS version in BIOS.

best thing to do, if you want to measure performance increase. Download and run Unigine Valley and 3D Mark Firestrike - their free - will give you a score on your system as well as feed back.
drop in the card , install all the drivers - and run again.
then lastly - install CPU and run

you'll also need thermal paste - Thermal grizzlie - about £4 .

just a question of your current cooler- should handle that new CPU if graphics are running off the card and not its self

also seems using the newer APU, PCIe 3.0 is unlocked

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
      (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
      * To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU.

Associate
There is a huge difference between that CPU and your current one though the 7700K is still a low-end CPU by current standards, roughly about the same as a desktop Intel Celeron in games.Still fine for those games you've mentioned though.

It would be better if you buy new GTX1050 from OCUK but get 2nd hand FM2 CPU. I know CEX in Ireland sells the FM2 760K which is pretty much the same as the 7700K (minus integrated graphics which are redundant in this case) for about £20.

For £82 on e-bay you would get an entire machine faster (eg 2nd gen i5).

Back
Top Bottom