Acer KG271U.

Soldato
Hi.

I've been looking for a budget 2k monitor for a few weeks and stumbled across this in passing on hotukdeals. A certain etailer that are big in white goods had it on offer for £199 but they are now out of stock. I am tempted to pre-order it on the rain forest for £199.

Unfortunately there seems to be no reviews whatsoever so it's a bit of a gamble but for £199 I think its worth a spin.

It states its a 6 bit VA panel. My current panel is a Asus VE247H, which is a bit long in the tooth now but a solid budget screen non the less. I presume that is also a 6 bit panel so if it's comparable colour wise to my Asus I would be happy.

What do you think of this monitor?

Associate
Hi,

I ordered one of these and it arrived a few days ago. Unfortunately I never saw the £199 deal but got it for £230. Still impressive and couldn't really find any other 2k, 75hz, Freesync monitors near that price. I think it's a new model hence the lack of reviews.

This has replaced my current 22" LG 1080p 60hz IPS screen which I bought back in 2013.

I have to say, when I first turned it on I was initially disappointed as the colours looked really washed out compared to my current monitor however after changing a few settings on the monitor and the AMD software I've got it looking decent. I'm still searching high and low for reviews and some optimal settings though.

I'm no monitor expert but for games it looks good and Freesync is much smoother. My RX 580 8GB seems to have handled the step up in resolution quite well. For the price I think it's a good budget monitor if it's mainly used for gaming but I'd be going for an IPS panel if I did much else with my desktop PC. My only concern with going Freesync is the lack of upgrade path with AMD cards. Vega is horribly overpriced and seemingly no new cards on the horizon.

Would be good to hear if anyone else has this monitor and what their thoughts are.

Soldato
OP
Hi,

I ordered one of these and it arrived a few days ago. Unfortunately I never saw the £199 deal but got it for £230. Still impressive and couldn't really find any other 2k, 75hz, Freesync monitors near that price. I think it's a new model hence the lack of reviews.

This has replaced my current 22" LG 1080p 60hz IPS screen which I bought back in 2013.

I have to say, when I first turned it on I was initially disappointed as the colours looked really washed out compared to my current monitor however after changing a few settings on the monitor and the AMD software I've got it looking decent. I'm still searching high and low for reviews and some optimal settings though.

I'm no monitor expert but for games it looks good and Freesync is much smoother. My RX 580 8GB seems to have handled the step up in resolution quite well. For the price I think it's a good budget monitor if it's mainly used for gaming but I'd be going for an IPS panel if I did much else with my desktop PC. My only concern with going Freesync is the lack of upgrade path with AMD cards. Vega is horribly overpriced and seemingly no new cards on the horizon.

Would be good to hear if anyone else has this monitor and what their thoughts are.

Hi.

At least you got one. My Amazon order @£199 has been stuck on "waiting for item to be released" for almost a week even though all the other etailers have had them in for ages. I even cancelled another order from another site for £199 to wait for Amazon.

I'm glad you like it. I have a nvidia card myself so I won't be able to check out freesync but I have seen on a video review that you can choose 75hz with a nvidia card by setting up a custom resolution profile.

I not surprised the colours didn't look that great coming from an IPS screen but I'm glad the tweaks to the screen worked for you.

How is the step up from 22" to 27" going? How far do you sit from the screen?

Associate
Hopefully it won't take too long!

Which nvidia card do you have?

Really liking the bigger screen. It's made quite a big difference when playing CoD WWII. Much faster response and smoother as well. I'm playing sat at my desk so if I'm using keyboard & mouse I'm only a foot or so away from the monitor (a bit further when playing games with a controller). It doesn't feel overly big and haven't felt the need to increase the scaling either.

Associate
Hi.

I've been looking for a budget 2k monitor for a few weeks and stumbled across this in passing on hotukdeals. A certain etailer that are big in white goods had it on offer for £199 but they are now out of stock. I am tempted to pre-order it on the rain forest for £199.

Unfortunately there seems to be no reviews whatsoever so it's a bit of a gamble but for £199 I think its worth a spin.

It states its a 6 bit VA panel. My current panel is a Asus VE247H, which is a bit long in the tooth now but a solid budget screen non the less. I presume that is also a 6 bit panel so if it's comparable colour wise to my Asus I would be happy.

What do you think of this monitor?

Never buy Acer you will only regret it

Soldato
OP
Hopefully it won't take too long!

Which nvidia card do you have?

Really liking the bigger screen. It's made quite a big difference when playing CoD WWII. Much faster response and smoother as well. I'm playing sat at my desk so if I'm using keyboard & mouse I'm only a foot or so away from the monitor (a bit further when playing games with a controller). It doesn't feel overly big and haven't felt the need to increase the scaling either.

I've got a 1070. It should handle the monitor fine.

It was a toss up between a 1080p 144hz 24" or 27" 1440p. I play the odd game of quakelive and have never experienced 144hz with it. Some day! But I'm looking forward to trying 1440p, especially with PUBG. I just hope Amazon can get a shift on and get some stock asap.

Never buy Acer you will only regret it

Thanks for the advice. If it's crap it's going back but kris seems to rate it so I am optimistic.

Associate
Thanks for the advice. If it's crap it's going back but kris seems to rate it so I am optimistic.

I put it in another way Acer customer service is crap at it's best if you need a repair, if it is the same panel in all Acer products as mine look for a another brand because you will regret it like I have and I am fighting for repair with Acer now.

Do a research on this monitor yourself and if it's don't have chipset panel problem then you are OK but for a future repair you will need to fight with acer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi.

I haven't opened it yet. I'm thinking of sending it back because my current ASUS 24" is all I really need and it's a PITA to shift 2nd hand goods nowadays (I have a list of stuff not selling) so the ASUS would be probably sitting around the house gathering dust. It's so tempting to open it but it will probably go back. It looks a cracking monitor.

Associate
I have this 27" 2k monitor but its 144hz. cant find any product page or review for it but I got it from this shop in aus: https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631127/Acer-KG271UA-27-WQHD-FreeSync-144Hz-1MS-LED-Gaming-Monitor Its actually a very nice monitor for the price and I love it. Goes well with my rx 560 because I play mostly low spec games like league of legends. I thought it was 75hz at first due to some amd driver issue but I fixed it so now I have an amazing monitor for under AU$600. Only complaints are minor ghosting and typical TN dullness but no issues other than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom