Website features that appeal to female visitors?

Permabanned
Right. Prepare for the ultimate guide to female web development.

Note 1 - JAVASCRIPT EVERYWHERE - the demand in the applets they will want means your site will be 90% javascript, 10% useful.
Note 2 - It doesn't matter if it's user friendly, if it doesn't look pretty, they don't care.

with that said:

Background - Needs to be a live video of their webcam so they can see themselves. b****** love a good mirror.
PICTURES! - Need to be of unrealistically good looking women, with excellent photoshop application to make them look even more unrealistic, because you can't dream about being average!
Layout - Don't worry about reducing mouse clicks, every click is like picking up a new item of clothing, they love it! embrace the clicks!
Audio - From all the excitement that men cannot comprehend, you need to provide an audio experience that calms the mind and makes them want to take up yoga. Do this for bonus points.
Checkout process - probably the most difficult part, must autopopulate everything so the transaction can be as forgetful as possible! Nobody likes regret, so forget about it!

On a serious note, you don't design to the gender, you design to the topic - In this case, clothing.

Soldato
I reckon a male dominated forum is not a great place to ask. Why not start a thread on mums net and ask them what they like, what things bug them about a site.

Build a couple personas of your target audience and try to imagine their journey through your site.

Eg: Jane the time starved mum. She likes things to be quick and easy. Features like repeat orders are great for her. She likes being thrifty so looking through sale items specifically and sorting by price are a must. Etc.

Sophie the trendy 20something professional, status conscious, disposable income, but not much. Spends a lot of time on social media

Try to imagine how they will find your site, what they are looking for, how you want them to experience it etc.

Soldato
I reckon a male dominated forum is not a great place to ask. Why not start a thread on mums net and ask them what they like, what things bug them about a site.

Build a couple personas of your target audience and try to imagine their journey through your site.

Eg: Jane the time starved mum. She likes things to be quick and easy. Features like repeat orders are great for her. She likes being thrifty so looking through sale items specifically and sorting by price are a must. Etc.

Sophie the trendy 20something professional, status conscious, disposable income, but not much. Spends a lot of time on social media

Try to imagine how they will find your site, what they are looking for, how you want them to experience it etc.

Probably because what Women say they want and what market research shows they actually go for are completely different things

Soldato
I run an ecommerce website aimed at a female audience and there isn't really any features that are specifically desired by women in my experience.

I would say product reviews (including customer photos/videos) and social media links but this applies to most ecommerce sites anyway.

Soldato
I was considering posting this in the programming forum, but I don't want a tech answer to this I just want a layman's view on the subject.

I'm building a simple website which is primarily aimed at a female audience. I have all the expected features of the website planned out, but I was wondering if there were any specific features of websites that females tend to like or enjoy more than male visitors?

Maybe female visitors prefer more images? Or more ability to communicate with the website owner? I'm guessing here at this point.

The website is just a standard e-commerce website with a focus on female visitors. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding anything that women tend to like? It is an entirely custom website which means I can implement just about any feature within reason.

Colour will be the main factor for you to consider. Warm colours appeal to women. Triggers a state of mind that can be used to get the sale.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...oe=&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=_d-rWor7K8nU8gf117rACw

Soldato
OP
I asked my sister to make a post on Mumsnet on my behalf. Although GD has been extremely helpful (as always), I think a second opinion might be required. If that fails, I'll go with the discounted vibrators.

Back
Top Bottom