The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Thanks for that. Prices still TBA on the Sigma's, by the looks of things. I wonder if this might be better to wait until a bit later in the year when the body prices have cooled somewhat and there's more coverage of the lens performance.

If I were you I'd wait a bit and see how things pan out with 3rd party support. Also, be wary of the weight / size of the Sony ecosystem. Whilst the camera bodies are small, once you purchase a few lenses you'll be hauling a similar weight to your current Nikon DSLR system. And yes, as you've already noticed the native Sony lenses are very expensive, however, there are a few cheaper ones with good quality eg. 85mm f1.8.

By autumn I think it's highly likely that both Nikon & Canon will have announced their mirrorless full-frame cameras. And by then you'll have a fair idea about the quality & standard of Sigma's lenses for the Sony E mount.

Associate
There is no getting around the flange distance, it’s just physics.

I know, I'm not asking for them all to be tiny just for them to make a decent, reasonably priced 35mm f/1.8 as right now my only choices are the 35m f/1.4, the f/2.8 lenses or something via an adapter.

The Sigma art's aren't that well suited for what I'll be doing so the added size/weight/cost would be a waste for me but I see their appeal.

Associate
From the reviews I have read; the Sony FE 85mm F1.8 provides near identical results of the Batis, for a fraction of the price and weight.

From memory my reasoning was once I've gone for the lowest prices there isn't that much difference in the price so I may as well go for the slightly better lens. Nothing's final though, have to see how much I like the A7 III first.

Soldato
I'm very tempted to sell my A7R for this. Wonder if I will miss the extra 10+MP.
The AF would be nice and the speed. The only time my R let's me down is in general speed and AF. Oh and the show flash sync speed.

Caporegime
Its beautiful Raymond, you must be very proud

It's amazing how much tech they can fit inside a "compact" camera these days.

Awesome :)

Please share the results!

Will do, but the true results won't be at least until Adobe releases update for the Sony RAWs.

It seems Nikon users on Sony bodies will always struggle because Canon lenses focuses electronically the Nikon lenses focuses mechanically, so there are more similarities between Canon and Sony than Nikon and Sony.

Associate
It seems Nikon users on Sony bodies will always struggle because Canon lenses focuses electronically the Nikon lenses focuses mechanically, so there are more similarities between Canon and Sony than Nikon and Sony.

It's only Nikon's old AF-D range that needs a mechanical linkage to the body for autofocus, their new stuff (e.g AF-S, G, E - pretty much every lens in the last 18 years) focuses electronically. I'm guessing Nikon's AF algorithms don't lend themselves quite as easily to reverse engineering + translation to Sony E quite as well as Canon.

Caporegime
It's only Nikon's old AF-D range that needs a mechanical linkage to the body for autofocus, their new stuff (e.g AF-S, G, E - pretty much every lens in the last 18 years) focuses electronically. I'm guessing Nikon's AF algorithms don't lend themselves quite as easily to reverse engineering + translation to Sony E quite as well as Canon.

True, may be they just take time? The first generation of adaptors for Canon were iffy too.

But you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

Associate
True, may be they just take time? The first generation of adaptors for Canon were iffy too.

But you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

Yeah I think it’s just a matter of time as well. I think it makes more sense for the Canon lenses to have gained more initial support considering they are more popular and Canon’s own sensors haven’t been quite as good as Sony/Nikon over the past 5 or so years, so you’d have more Canon users wanting to try out a Sony body just for their sensor tech compared to Nikon -> Sony switchers.

Soldato
I'll be interested to see what you think of it Raymond, I tried the A7/R III at the camera show and didn't like it from the time I had with them, not so much in performance but in terms of usability/handling.

I know it has a few customisable buttons, but most things seemed to be hidden behind menus. It didn't feel that comfortable either with not much space between grip and lens.

I'd like to try an A7R III or A9 for a weekend but my initial impressions were not very good, hard to explain but there was just something that didn't feel right.

Caporegime
I'll be interested to see what you think of it Raymond, I tried the A7/R III at the camera show and didn't like it from the time I had with them, not so much in performance but in terms of usability/handling.

I know it has a few customisable buttons, but most things seemed to be hidden behind menus. It didn't feel that comfortable either with not much space between grip and lens.

I'd like to try an A7R III or A9 for a weekend but my initial impressions were not very good, hard to explain but there was just something that didn't feel right.

It does feel small and it is not balanced with an adapted L glass in front. It feels like I am shooting a 70-200 on a DSLR kind of scale. That may change as I use it more, I don't know. The acid test is how it handles when I am under pressure, how quickly I can get to things, or do I just give up and pick up my 5D4 again.

I am going to shoot this with my 5D4, as my 3rd camera, not my main.

Back
Top Bottom