sold out of date meat - what would you do?

Soldato
If it's cooked beef then I would probably eat it even after 4 days but that would be about my cut off. If it was uncooked chicken breast I would probably would throw it away. The pepperoni I buy has a use date, I've eaten that two weeks later and it's been fine.

Soldato
1st world problem, the meat someone else farmed, butchered, packed, prepared, transported and sold for a tiny fraction of my daily earnings was not correctly checked by the minimum wage workers in my local Tesco... being too lazy to check the date myself, or to even know how to tell if meat is good to eat I NEARLY DIED....

Soldato
It's actually advised not to wash poultry before cooking it. For example running a raw chicken under the tap all you are doing is spreading droplets of bacteria laden water all over the place.

I wasn’t clear, sorry. I never wash poultry for that very reason, but the chopping boards, kitchen counters, utensils, my hands, etc I wash obsessively, I get stressed out so I rarely bother!

I'm more concerned about how long these big supermarket chains keep stuff out of the cold chain for. The rules are 20 minutes but I witness cages of chilled foods standing in aisles a lot longer than that.

I believe you. It’s fine when senior management are about but when I see unsupervised teenagers working i don’t doubt this for a moment.
The bacteria that could cause real problems doesn't smell and doesn't change the colour of the meat, so the meat looking ok and smelling ok doesn't tell you it is safe.

I’d never even considered this stupidly enough. It’s made me a little more cautious with meat, thanks.

Soldato
2a7zoud.jpg

Soldato
EDIT : I’m surprised by the amount of people that don’t realise food poisoning can be life threatening!
Some people think they are cool and alpha on the internet. ******** your life away in the toilet is neither.

Dowie I would take it back and complain. Maybe it's just me but I'm noticing more and more crappy food lately, with stuff quite often going off before the 'use by' date, and fruit going from unripe to rotten before ever being ready to eat.

Soldato
Take it back and get a refund if you must but you'll probably be wasting your time going to trading standards/environmental health. They know the supermarkets have all the legal checks covered with log books and training records etc everything is so tight, so unless they have the time and resources to code check the whole shop they won't bother trying to take it further unless they get lots of complaints in a short period of time.

Soldato
I'd probably throw it in the bin and move on with my life, I definitely wouldn't make a forum post about it or care enough to return it. I may not use that retailer again and I would double check use by dates in the future. Hope that helps.

Soldato
Someone I knew bought an Asda frozen chicken and it was rank. Took it back and got a £40 voucher and personal thank you from the manager for not blabbing to the press etc. They had to clear out their entire storage freezer apparently.

Caporegime
Can I just ask wtf is immunocompromised and why are so many people on ocuk so?

Are we a community of aids victims?
You cannot be 100% certain that any product has been properly stored at the right temperatures throughout its life to inhibit bacteria so good luck tbh.

I work in a large kitchen and a few peoples attitudes to control are a bit shaky to say the least. Multiply that by a few more middle men and ... Problems.

I don't get all the hate against the snifftest survivors. We are living proof of its impeccable results.

Seriously just take it back and get your £1 and double check next time, maybe even ring local council environmental health if u can, which I guess you can/should.

Caporegime
I'm more concerned about how long these big supermarket chains keep stuff out of the cold chain for. The rules are 20 minutes but I witness cages of chilled foods standing in aisles a lot longer than that.

I've seen Iceland home delivery goods sit in room temp areas for hours.... Mostly defrosting. Waiting for a Muppet to move them to a chilled van or storage area. Very sloppy.

Associate
Feed it to your enemies, or if your upto it hire Tim Vine and explore the chance of making a musical play or a tragedy possibly titled My Shiny Green Beef and pebble dashed Toilet. Imagine that on Broadway?

Back
Top Bottom