Keyboard that doesn't sound like an AK47

Soldato
Hi,

I have a Corsair K70 and I'm unable to type on it when my son is in bed in the next room because its so loud.

I'm looking to change it, would prefer to stay mechanical but no where near as loud as this, not bothered if it has RGB or not and definitely not installing any additional software drivers or need any additional features other than back lit keys.

I would like something small but with a number pad, reliable, none gamer style and not ludicrously expensive although that limits my options I think.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Soldato
Not much of choises when most mechanical switches fail to give damn about noise...
And some even have additional sound effects.

Topres have always had smooth quieter sound profile because of design actually being part rubber dome...
But availability isn't good and pricing is high. (and not even basic lightning)

Omron made Romer-G switch of Logitech was designed also for lower sound with damping for sound of both bottoming and key/switch rising back to top position.
And G810 avoids that gaming garbage outlook.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/logi...cal-gaming-keyboard-920-007744-kb-25c-lg.html
Also key cap illumination is very discreet without any of that bright light leak from between keys like in Cherry MX RGB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTBfa0wNxY
(pressing 0-key with light on/off button pressed simultaneously cycles through static single colour lightning)

It of course isn't silent and bigger keys have clearer noises from stabilizers when "hitting" them harder, but it's heck lot better than sharp higher frequency noise of Cherry MX even with o-rings.
(which don't do anything to noise of key/switch rising top position)
Used nearly five years Cherry MX Brown Logitech G710+ with o-rings factory installed and there's no going back to those noise makers.

Though with little shorter travel and higher resistance from pretty much start of press before force lowers feel is definitely different even though overall it's quite similar non-linear switch.
Got over that weird feel in about week.

But if you're using very light linear MX Red difference is sure to be bigger.
Cherry has damped MX Silent version with Red like force curve, but that's used only in couple Corsairs... with that bling bling gaming trinket level light leak of Cherry MX RGBs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KbymFVePM

Btw, if anything NATO 5,56x45mm would make sharper noise than punchier 7,62x39mm.
Most Finnish men have some experience with that. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
You can try installing O-rings on your current keyboard. Not sure it will make it notably quieter but for a few quid it may be worth testing it?

Soldato
Mechanical keyboards sound nothing like the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of the enemy, which makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you....

Can you mod your existing keyboard with different O-rings, perhaps, to better cushion the keys?

And just because:

AVY7wFL.jpg

Soldato
Either get hold of a damper kit for your current KB or look at getting something by Steelseries, they don't use Cherry switches but they aren't none mech either, was the quietest kb I've ever typed on and CS was good with sending replacement keys out when I damaged some of mine.

Soldato
I used to have a K70 RGB, was very loud, really annoyed the GF! Got rid in the end, wish I didn't though I love all things ambiance and RGB! I want RGB in my case too but no RGB on my MOBO :(

Soldato
You can try installing O-rings on your current keyboard. Not sure it will make it notably quieter but for a few quid it may be worth testing it?
Won't help that much unless writing carefully and using finger to soften rise of key/switch.
Switch stem hitting "roof" of switch housing with key cap rattling along makes at least half the noise of mechanical switches.

Like I said I used nearly five years MX Brown keyboard with factory installed o-rings.

Soldato
I have cherry reds here and they can either sound like an AK47 or not very loud depending how hard I press the keys.

Associate
You could try the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, unsure if updated, as expensive (as a few years ago), still available or whether there's even better. But it might fit the criteria you put out in OP.

Soldato
As others have suggested, try fitting some o rings before junking an otherwise good keyboard. The keycaps will come off very easily with the right tool (which should have come with the keyboard), and you just slip a rubber ring on each key post.

Associate
Associate
I recently bought a a steel series red switch mechanical keyboard and to be fair it’s 5x louder than my razor death stalker of 4 years.
Kinda looking for another keyboard just because I want a fresh one, but something flat as I’m used to it. I don’t generally get why you’d use mechanical as for csgo/overmatch and RuneScape pking I play really well

Associate
I have an steel series apex 150 and don’t think it’s that loud, and is blue backlit.

Picked it up for £30 online

The Apex 150 is a membrane keyboard with some tweaks to make it feel a bit more like a mechanical which is why it's still a lot quieter. Something like the Cherry KC 1000 is flat and almost laptop like in its look and feel. Quiet silent but also very spongy feedback. At the end of the day, unless you're smashing so many keys so fast that ghosting really matters then it's down to personal preference.

Associate
Cherry Blacks? If so, why would these be quieter? They're a Cherry Red with slightly more (+10g I think?) actuation force. Still very likely to bottom out the keys and that's where the noise kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom