The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Argh! Good luck, should still be covered where you bought it from rather than having to return to Tacx?

I bought mine in Sept 17 from Chain Reaction - they've asked me to mail it back to them - it'll be going back (fortunately I kept the retail box) probably Thursday/Friday this week and then I'll just have to wait and see what they want to do.

I'm ok with a repair or a replacement or a refund - I'm easy either way.

I took a look inside and there's bits of copper everywhere, it looks pretty sick.

Soldato
So I did 2x laps of the 9.6 mile Zwift London course tonight.
The first lap I was taking is very easy and practically falling asleep and the 2nd lap I was close to max effort.

The time difference between the laps is only 7%, dispute putting in an extra 25% more effort.

I just found it interesting how so much more effort yields such a small improvement in time.

Soldato
I bought mine in Sept 17 from Chain Reaction - they've asked me to mail it back to them - it'll be going back (fortunately I kept the retail box) probably Thursday/Friday this week and then I'll just have to wait and see what they want to do.

I'm ok with a repair or a replacement or a refund - I'm easy either way.

I took a look inside and there's bits of copper everywhere, it looks pretty sick.

CRC covered the postage back on mine. Their system is a little antiquated though so it took a long time to actually get it sent back (filling out paper forms etc) but it was then processed quickly & a new one delivered (from wiggle).

Soldato
CRC covered the postage back on mine. Their system is a little antiquated though so it took a long time to actually get it sent back (filling out paper forms etc) but it was then processed quickly & a new one delivered (from wiggle).

Thanks for the heads up on the postage refund. So how did you go about claiming that back - just scan them a receipt?

Soldato
Short on time so did the 50 minute SST (short) session last night. Had to skip the final interval due to time but otherwise good. FTP set as 270W put the intervals at 5mins at 260W then 5 mins at 240W, 3 times. Good session for me without anything too strenuous. Didn't really struggle to hold the power too much so maybe my FTP hasn't 'dropped' as low changing to the Flux as I originally thought.

I just found it interesting how so much more effort yields such a small improvement in time.
Just the law of diminishing returns & marginal gains! ;)

Derp! Certainly sounds broken! Vortex isn't it?

I've got a paper form to fill in about my 3 month old Flux, but have also been asked to supply 'evidence' of it's power readings being incorrect. I had thought the paper forms meant it would be going back to Tacx for warranty repair and I'd end up without it for a few weeks... Maybe not!

Annoyingly as it's over 30 days old they don't do a full refund, only CRC credit. Ideally I want to swap it for a Direto but CRC don't stock them... Wiggle do however. I wonder...!

Soldato
So I did 2x laps of the 9.6 mile Zwift London course tonight.
The first lap I was taking is very easy and practically falling asleep and the 2nd lap I was close to max effort.

The time difference between the laps is only 7%, dispute putting in an extra 25% more effort.

Welcome to the world of physics.

Associate
It wasn't meant as a snub :o we all start somewhere. The readings are obviously wrong!

Didn't take it as such! I know I'm not still a newbie when it comes to cycling.

It's just when someone who is approaching half my weight can hold an amount of watts for an hour that I had to sprint for, I knew something wasn't quite right. Tweaked the setup and rode fairly hard for 40 mins earlier and averaged a zpower of 172 watts which seems better.

Soldato
Didn't take it as such! I know I'm not still a newbie when it comes to cycling.

It's just when someone who is approaching half my weight can hold an amount of watts for an hour that I had to sprint for, I knew something wasn't quite right. Tweaked the setup and rode fairly hard for 40 mins earlier and averaged a zpower of 172 watts which seems better.

Glad to hear.

Yep, with perspective it was obviously wrong. That figure sounds much more realistic.

Even a very weak rider will be able to sprint at 4-700w so struggling to make 300w smelt fishy ;)

Soldato
Well tried my first “race” tonight. Probably not the best choice but was the only one at the time I wanted which had a range of levels.

Don’t remembee the race but it was a wbr one I think on a “hilly” course around 19 miles through the jungle.

For some reason it put my in class C which I didn’t agree with but couldn’t change it. So everyone flew off at the start and left me at the back. On the big hill about 3 miles in I caught and overtook one guy. He had a much better w/kg than me on the flat/downhill but I got good leads on the hills.

Ended up getting to 11miles though and I bailed. I was pretty tired and the trainer is below our bedroom and my wife had gone to bed as wasn’t feeling well and I was conscious of noise.

It’s probably the longest distance I’ve ridden so far so happy with that, especially with a lot of it seeming to be uphill. A bit disappointed I didn’t tough it out though.

EDIT - just checked and it was a track called Road to Ruins Hilly Race

Also one thing I noticed was that some D rated people were holding around 2.4w/kg for the whole race. Surely that suggests it’s the wrong class for them?

EDIT2 - Chilli is a terrible pre-workout meal. I feel like I’m gonna be sick!

Last edited:
Soldato
Climbed to the radio tower yesterday afternoon, few PBs including the cat2 "Epic KOM" and "Mount Zwift (full reverse)" segments, new best power for 20mins (287W) and 30mins (280W).

Saved the above ride, no time to check the stats, quick topup of water bottle and into a world of pain... "The Gorby" using Strava's FTP estimate (283W) from Feb. Only after the second 310W 5min interval I recalled the power could be reduced by 10% using the app, which was very welcome... Still struggled to the end, including the final 140W warm-down!

Hopefully kicking myself out the door for a recovery ride up real cat4s later this morning.

Associate
Well tried my first “race” tonight. Probably not the best choice but was the only one at the time I wanted which had a range of levels.

Don’t remembee the race but it was a wbr one I think on a “hilly” course around 19 miles through the jungle.

For some reason it put my in class C which I didn’t agree with but couldn’t change it. So everyone flew off at the start and left me at the back. On the big hill about 3 miles in I caught and overtook one guy. He had a much better w/kg than me on the flat/downhill but I got good leads on the hills.

Ended up getting to 11miles though and I bailed. I was pretty tired and the trainer is below our bedroom and my wife had gone to bed as wasn’t feeling well and I was conscious of noise.

It’s probably the longest distance I’ve ridden so far so happy with that, especially with a lot of it seeming to be uphill. A bit disappointed I didn’t tough it out though.

Also one thing I noticed was that some D rated people were holding around 2.4w/kg for the whole race. Surely that suggests it’s the wrong class for them?

Well done, you'll find lots of cheaters on there so don't get too hung up about the others!

Soldato
It wasn't meant as a snub :o we all start somewhere. The readings are obviously wrong!
Not obviously. Have a look across various Zwift forums/facebook groups and you'll soon find plenty of people with an FTP between 100-150W and sprints of 300W. Admittedly much of them are younger, older or otherwise physically limited. Without knowing situation, it's very hard to judge! I was trying to lighten the tone if it'd been taken slightly the wrong way by MM-Seat. Good to hear it hadn't! :D

Be very careful directly comparing yourself to other riders on Zwift, at least in 'open' riding anyway. During racing things should be a little more accurate, but it's still a complete minefield!

172W is a respectable starting point for someone fairly new to cycling. I'd expect that to rapidly increase to around 200W levels as you get into it, gain fitness & get used to riding the turbo. Enjoy the huge gains, they get harder and harder to attain! These days I'm just happy to see power figures around my expected FTP - I'm fairly sure when I eventually drag myself through a test to have it drop! :o :(

Well done for your first race! Most Zwift races start the same - a sprint for the first mile or two. Things generally settle down afterwards.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=49646

As you're new to racing the CAT assignment is totally down to you choosing what you think is correct at race start. On Zwift Companion app (previously Zwift Mobile Link app) when you click on an event you will see the different CATs listed as separate events below it (they kinda open as a list but you have to scroll). If joining from the Zwift program itself on PC from the startup screen you have to hover over the event (on the top right) and then click on one of the (usually) 4 CAT coloured buttons which pop up.

WBR races are generally administrated by a small team who will actually look at riders previous race results if their power/data/results look questionable (high!) for the entered CAT. All of these results are displayed and available through www.zwiftpower.com which does require registration and agreement to their T&C's surrounding your data (GDPR!). Without registering and agreeing to terms most races (and admins) will DQ riders, regardless of their results.

Hope that helps & jump in some group training rides, you'll find them much more fun when starting out. Most racing is B & C, within the CAT D power 'band' you'll have quite a smaller field of riders and many times find yourself riding alone. The race you entered had only around 15 riders, 12 of which DQ/DNF so only 3 registered finishers on ZP. Yes, you could finish on a podium racing CAT D just by finishing! :D

The LIVE results (tab at the top) has you in 108th place (out of 152 starters), even though you're not listed as DNF. No ride data so it would imply your Strava profile is set as private, can see you've not setup a ZP account so therefore not agreed to the T&C's or linked to your Strava account. Much of the ZP requirements (surrounding power & HR) come from Strava data outputted from Zwift, not zwift itself.

Soldato
Nice Hare & Hounds (Handicap) race today, rode in B for a solid workout.

Made it to the finish to get “stuck” to a rider just doing 3.5w with 1km to go and watching everyone ride off while I do 4.5w+ and can’t get past! Gave up after that and rolled over about 20th in the front group.

Soldato
Nice Hare & Hounds (Handicap) race today, rode in B for a solid workout.

Made it to the finish to get “stuck” to a rider just doing 3.5w with 1km to go and watching everyone ride off while I do 4.5w+ and can’t get past! Gave up after that and rolled over about 20th in the front group.

I've had a few bugs here and there - it's pretty annoying when it spoils best part of an hours toiling.

Soldato
I've had a few bugs here and there - it's pretty annoying when it spoils best part of an hours toiling.
It’s how it calculates the draft, infuriating.

You can stick to another rider unable to get past, or worse, decide to ride out in the wind while the whole bunch is on the other side of the road, slip from the front off the back before your avatar moves over!

Back
Top Bottom