• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Something doesnt add up with this supposed demand.

We are led to believe these cards are flying off the shelves in huge quantities.

Yet my 1070s on ebay have had 4 views in 72 hours. Hardly a sign of record demand.

Either there is a massive sharp gap between people checking retailers and ebay, or the demand is not that high, but rather just the supply is really low.

When I sold my 970 a couple of years back, it had dozens of views in one evening, my gtx 760 was similar.

Associate
Those GPU's, if you can call them GPU's, would have never entered the GPU marketplace anyway so you can ignore them as such... What they would do however is use memory, mainly, that could be used for GPU manufacture when there is a shortage of memory at the moment - which in itself increases costs. Those also would have long term supply contracts and would have been fabricated in addition to the normal projected demand for ordinary GPU's.

The main reason there is price increases, and price gouging, is, mainly, an unforeseen increase in demand for them. That coupled with memory being artificially limited by a cartel to ramp up prices and an unwillingness for manufacturers to risk producing more than forecast, especially this close to end-of-life, goes someway to explain currant prices.
They are still produced in the same Fab’s using the same processes, I’d imagine there are quite demanding non disclosure agreements in circulation.
The memory constraints are most likely coming from consumer marketing units whom require certain ceilings in pricing and perceived capacity/features in products to maintain product tiers.

Associate
Basically what I’m saying is that traditional GPU consumers are subsidising driverless car development at this stage as 4x Volta full fat in each car is going to have a lot more impact on supply/demand/production and distribution of GPU’s than mining.

Caporegime
I'm confused on why people think mined on GPU's are knackered.. We under volt and under clock. My cards barely hit 55Deg...Someone enlighten me on what I'm doing to knacker my cards...
For one several AIB vendors have come out and said their cards aren't designed for 24/7 use and that it would violate their warranty.

For two I bought an ex-mining card on the MM a while back (RX280), and within a couple months the memory died. Sold it on for spares/repair and only lost about £50, but I won't be repeating this mistake again.

I have to chuckle at the miners here saying they wouldn't touch a 2nd hand gaming card because it'll be worn out... Trying to convince people now that their ex-mining hardware is a better investment. Just... lol.

Oh and the moving parts - the fans - will be knackered. Absolutely 100% the fan bearings will be shot, or well on their way to being shot. No thanks.

Soldato
For one several AIB vendors have come out and said their cards aren't designed for 24/7 use and that it would violate their warranty.

For two I bought an ex-mining card on the MM a while back (RX280), and within a couple months the memory died. Sold it on for spares/repair and only lost about £50, but I won't be repeating this mistake again.

I have to chuckle at the miners here saying they wouldn't touch a 2nd hand gaming card because it'll be worn out... Trying to convince people now that their ex-mining hardware is a better investment. Just... lol.

Oh and the moving parts - the fans - will be knackered. Absolutely 100% the fan bearings will be shot, or well on their way to being shot. No thanks.

Have to agree with this plus if you look on MM there are tonnes of cards for sale from broken up mining rigs

Man of Honour
Running them 24/7? They aren't knackered, but statistically they will have taken more wear and thus be more likely to fail in the near future.

I'd be quite happy to buy a mining card, but the price would have to be right. When 1070s get down to 200 quid in a couple of months I will pick one up.

Absolutely this. They will all wear out eventually and these have had significantly more use than the average gamer would have on them. Just sounds like a miner in denial tbh in anticipation of selling their cards off. Like you say, I wouldn't have a problem with this if they also didn't expect the current huge markup on GPU prices (as we see often posted on the MM).

17 x 1070Ti's for sale, never used for mining. £500 each.

That cracked me up, brilliant :)

Soldato
Do gpu manufacturers use sub standard fans then? Considering my case fans have been running for years with no apparent ill effects.

Mean time to failure. If you are running your fans for 12 hours a day, they will take approximately twice as long to fail as the same fan run 24 hours a day, there are of course variables.

Just because a component is good doesn’t mean it won’t eventually fail.

Caporegime
With fans and many components, they'll either fail in the first few months or close to their stated lifespan. You'll get a few that fail between and some that seem to live forever, it's just a bit of a lottery unless you have the means to analyse the component thoroughly with expensive tools.

Soldato
What about RGB's? Do they have a shorter lift span if they come from a mining system?

Whilst I suspect this is a flippant remark, my point regarding mean time to failure still stands.

If you had one light on for 5 hours a day, and the other on 24 hours a day, would you expect them to last the same time?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Check OcUK pricing on all GPU's, 1080Ti from £749, 1080 from £550, 1070Ti from £499, 1070 from £449, 1060 6G from £269, 1060 3G from £209. Vega 64 from £699, Vega 56 from £599, RX 580 8G from £315.
This is across several cards, good stocks that should last more than a day as everything is limited to 1PC per customer, of course I cannot predict how weak or strong sales might be as in the current climate the prices are very fair.

Soldato

Ah yes I've bought things too that have unexpectedly failed...Isn't that why we have warranties???

Fan's
So my fans are shot? 100% my fans are shot? On my mining cards you are 100% that my fans are shot...On all 26 cards my fans are shot 100%? Best get some ordered then

Which AIB vendors have said that. ALL my PC's are left on 24/7 as I run tracking software, Trading software etc. I will have to avoid those

Back
Top Bottom