Posting development of our case

Soldato
Not sure about the rules of the forum, but that's a lovely looking case!

Couple of questions (not criticisms at all!) :)

Where are you hiding things like USB ports and power / reset switches etc, the look of a case of important, but so is usability.

Secondly, how are external connections managed and kept tidy? The case has a great aesthetic that would be easy to compromise with a poorly placed display connection and power lead ect? Also not seeing anywhere that a WiFi antennae could be tucked away, or a network cable, or will the motherboard IO be accessible from the bottom of the chassis?

Lastly - cooling, some airflow will be required over the VRMs etc, how will air flow over the motherboard tray?

Good luck with this, looks incredible! Keep up the good work, we need more people making better cases!

OcUK Staff
I personally have no issue with it, providing that once you are ready for mass production, you contact ourselves and Caseking about the opportunity. The case itself looks great. I will keep an eye on the progress.

Associate
OP
Not sure about the rules of the forum, but that's a lovely looking case!

Couple of questions (not criticisms at all!) :)

Where are you hiding things like USB ports and power / reset switches etc, the look of a case of important, but so is usability.

Secondly, how are external connections managed and kept tidy? The case has a great aesthetic that would be easy to compromise with a poorly placed display connection and power lead ect? Also not seeing anywhere that a WiFi antennae could be tucked away, or a network cable, or will the motherboard IO be accessible from the bottom of the chassis?

Lastly - cooling, some airflow will be required over the VRMs etc, how will air flow over the motherboard tray?

Good luck with this, looks incredible! Keep up the good work, we need more people making better cases!

For your first question:
The I/O is limited to the back of the case (I/O that comes with your MOBO).

For your second question:
All connections are on the back of the case (I/O and power connector), so it's up to your epic external cable management skills ;)

Lastly, sorry for the late reply. We have focused on completing tolerances adjustments for the internal frame of MJOLNIR I this month, making our reply speed turtle-level.

I personally have no issue with it, providing that once you are ready for mass production, you contact ourselves and Caseking about the opportunity. The case itself looks great. I will keep an eye on the progress.

I'm honored that you allow us to do this! And yes, once we're ready for mass production we'll definitely make sure to contact you and discuss how we can do some great things :)

Just a small heads-up, I'll let everybody in our "Project logs" post know that we'll be moving the discussion about MJOLNIR I to this section of the forum. I'll delete that original post after 1 week (so that people who follow the progress there have time to see where we're going to continue the conversation). Just let me know if you want me to do it some other way :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys, I'm extremely happy to share some major updates with you!

Tolerance optimization & production readiness of MJOLNIR I is finalized. IMHO this has been the most time-consuming and crucial step for this project, taking us a good 4 months to complete.

Here are some specs about the final product

update7-min.jpg

Now I know what some will say; nothing is final before the prototype is complete and tests are done. I totally agree and we built the 3D model to be very flexible and interlinked (almost everything can be altered to some degree and re-optimized & production-ready in mere seconds).

We'll start to build the prototype in the beginning of June, and as I have said before there will be no Kickstarter launch before you've seen a prototype and thermal tests :)

Improved Glass Panels

10mm mounting pin width instead of 5mm. We also removed the unnecessary (and weak) frame around the glass panels.

Update_6_6min.jpg

Update_6_6_2.jpg

Improved vertical distance between the PSU and AIO fan

Added the option to add
4mm of extra space between those components if you wish to use modded cables or something of that sort.

Check it out

Update_6.5-min.jpg

You can see that the PSU was very close to the AIO fan before (below image), this should be quite a bit better now.

update6-10b-min.jpg

Best,

Alex

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Lovely looking case. It's a good time to get into this market because I think with Dan Case and Louqe and others on the horizon it's going to get quite competitive. Your styling is a nice USP that sets it apart.

However, after a lot of deliberation I gave up my order for Dan Case and I'm going for the Louqe. I like their tophat feature and it bridges the gap between compact and custom cooled. Would you consider such a feature?

Associate
I have to say I have never been one to like or even looks towards a smaller case as I usually got for the big old full tower option but that has really peaked my interest and I do love the design of it. Love to have one of these sitting on my desk :)

Associate
OP
Lovely looking case. It's a good time to get into this market because I think with Dan Case and Louqe and others on the horizon it's going to get quite competitive. Your styling is a nice USP that sets it apart.

However, after a lot of deliberation I gave up my order for Dan Case and I'm going for the Louqe. I like their tophat feature and it bridges the gap between compact and custom cooled. Would you consider such a feature?

Thank you very much!

I haven't tried out Louqe first hand but I like the features they want to bring to the table. Perhaps we'll find our own take on case-expansion in our next project :)

Associate
OP
Heey guys, time for an update :)

1. We're aiming to prototype the unibody enclosure first, given that virtually every other part (including the internal frame) is dependent on it. It's the most time consuming part to prototype (3 weeks to 3D print and another 2 weeks to cast and get back to our doorstep). We're basically trying to avoid having to re-create prototype parts (glass panels, aluminium panels, laser cut panels) if the dimensions of the unibody enclosure need to be slightly changed.

2. We have been talking back and forth with virtually every active investment casting firm in Sweden (7 firms) to identify potential problems with our 3D models. Luckily there were very few problems, and those that did exist are now fixed. However, one part of MJOLNIR I is now significantly different: the frontal intake grill. Check out the new version below:

new_front-min.png

The previous grill was to thin according to producers, this new one doesn't have that problem and is a bit more robust. What do you think? Did you like the old one better?

Best,

Alex

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

After listening to feedback on the new frontal intake mesh (V2) we decided to redo it again. Hope you like V3 more :D It's once again similar to V1, but much more rigid.

new_front_v3.2-min.png

Best,

Alex

Associate
OP
V3 is nice, I personally prefer that to V2.

Can you give any indication at all on pricing, ballpark even?
Awesome, happy that you like it!

Standard Edition - 299 USD
RGB Edition - 349 USD

I know this is relatively steep compared to other cases and this is not because we want to grab a lot of profit, it's simply because the cost of manufacturing such a case/quality is very high.

Caporegime
I know this is relatively steep compared to other cases and this is not because we want to grab a lot of profit, it's simply because the cost of manufacturing such a case/quality is very high.

Tbf a lot of us will gladly pay for quality, in the sense that it will easily last through several generations of systems :)

I'm def going with a super-mini next time!!

Associate
OP
Tbf a lot of us will gladly pay for quality, in the sense that it will easily last through several generations of systems :)

I'm def going with a super-mini next time!!

That's certainly awesome to hear. As long as you don't have an elephant living close by MJOLNIR I should survive quite some time (6mm thick walls).

Back
Top Bottom