AMP/Soundcard for HD650

Soldato
if it's for pure stereo, with no virtual surround then the Schiit Modi 2 and Schiit Magni 3 duo sound very good.
if virtual surround is needed then the Asus STX and STX II are able to drive the HD650s with ease.

My understanding was that you could use optical from sound card to the Modi and keep the surround?

Soldato
OP
So would my SoundBlaster SBX suffice as that has the Outputs,

So it will be a red/white cable from this to the inputs of the Magni 3?

Does that make sense? I suspect maybe I need a better DAC.

Associate
So would my SoundBlaster SBX suffice as that has the Outputs,

So it will be a red/white cable from this to the inputs of the Magni 3?

Does that make sense? I suspect maybe I need a better DAC.

I would give it a go. As long as you aren't picking up noise from your pc, and your magni is providing your headphones with enough power, a more expensive dac won't make as much of a difference as the amp upgrade.

Soldato
I thought that but the Modi Multibit changed my mind, there are no "night and day" differences in the world of DACs but with well recorded music it just sounds better than my Modi 2 - better separation and imaging, more realistic bass, subtle changes but there nonetheless.

Soldato
OP
I thought that but the Modi Multibit changed my mind, there are no "night and day" differences in the world of DACs but with well recorded music it just sounds better than my Modi 2 - better separation and imaging, more realistic bass, subtle changes but there nonetheless.

I've just bought the Modi 2 to go with my Magni 3 are you saying I should return them both and get the modi multbit?

Soldato
No need to return the Magni 3, that is a very good amp and punches well above it's price.

As for the Modi, well that is just a DAC, whether it's the Modi 2 or the Modi Multibit. Whether you should cancel the Modi 2 and get the Modi Multibit is entirely up to you but I upgraded from the Modi (1) to the Multibit and noticed a decent improvement - while using the Magni 2 for both. The Modi 2 uses the AKM4490 DAC chip, which is supposed to be an upgrade over the chip used in the Modi 1, which I had but gives a warmer sound and doesn't sound as detailed as it's predecessor. The Modi Multibit is both more detailed than Modi 1 or 2 but also has better separation between instruments and better imaging, so those instruments are easier to pick out, plus it has stronger and more layered bass. It's quite a price hike for the Multibit, £270 vs £110 but I don't regret forking out the extra and am extremely happy with my Modi Multibit & Magni 3 Schiit stack :D

The only downside of the Modi Multibit is that you really need to leave it on at all times, to keep the chipset within operating temperature tolerances, otherwise it sounds like ass - it actually runs warmer than my Magni 3. Not a problem really though as it uses very little power.

Soldato
OP
Thank for you for the input that's very informative.

As much as I could afford £270 for the DAC I will see how my MODI 2 gets on it's got to be better than my Soundblaster external sound card for sound quality.

The amp has been night and day I suspect the DAC won't be but I suspect it should provide more clarity.

Soldato
"Night and day" doesn't really exist in the world of DACs, differences are more subtle than you tend to hear between amps and most definitely between headphones.

Associate
I've just received my Magni 3, I must be stupid but there's no USB in so how do I connect it to my pc?

The Magni 3 is an amp. You need a DAC. The Modi is a DAC, also by schiit, with USB input. That's what you need. For now you can run a 3.5mm to RCA cable from your PC's audio jack to the magni which will sound alright depending on how decent your integrated sound or soundcard is. Do not plug an amplified output such as the headphone jack from an Asus STX into the Magni!

I suggest that you get the Modi Multibit DAC. Pick up Schiit's PYST RCA and USB cables they are decent and affordable.

Associate
The Modi 2 is a very good DAC and is as good as most people need

I disagree. I find it rather shrill and clinical sounding. Not a very impressive DAC. I had the Modi 2 Uber, hated it, and ended up selling it recently. Arcam's cheaper DACs such as the rPAC are slightly costlier but sound more natural IMO. The cheapest Schiit DAC that's worth the money is the Modi Multibit IMO.

Soldato
I disagree. I find it rather shrill and clinical sounding. Not a very impressive DAC. I had the Modi 2 Uber, hated it, and ended up selling it recently. Arcam's cheaper DACs such as the rPAC are slightly costlier but sound more natural IMO. The cheapest Schiit DAC that's worth the money is the Modi Multibit IMO.

I think you are disliking the sound signature of the Modi 2 Uber, but in all honesty that doesn't mean it'll be worth it in someone else's perception.

Back
Top Bottom