PC won't connect to internet on boot

Associate
Hi guys, long time since I've been here, hope ya'll are keeping well!

Little problem here with my PC connecting to the internet on boot. More than often, maybe 40% of the time my PC won't connect to the internet on boot, a restart always fixes it but it happens quite often and my PC is very outdated so rebooting can be a real pain lol

I had very old set of TP Link powerline adapters and I thought it was those so I replaced them with a pair of new TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT but it didn't seem to make a difference at all unfortunately.

Anyone heard or had this problem?

Thanks

Soldato
Test with a cable and see if the problem goes away. Even a 30m cable costs under £10 so it isn't an expensive test.

The adapters may be going into power save mode. Have you checked the indicator lights on the adapters before you boot the computer?

Associate
OP
I am fully cabled up already, also my PS4 is hard wired too and it never seems to do this. It also happens if my PS4 is running before I turn the PC on, so they would already be out of power saving mode anyhow.

EDIT: Do you mean run a cable straight from the modem to my PC?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay well I will try that I guess. I’ve been using adapters for about 5+ Years now and this problem has only started occurring in the past 4-5 months and only on my PC, so that’s why I’d assume it was something to do with my PC and not the adapters.

Soldato
You can get weirdness with Powerline adapters. A cabled connection is a quick way to exclude them as a cause. If you do try with a cable unplug all of the Powerline adapters from their sockets.

It's quite possible the problem is with the PC.

Have you checked the event logs?

When it fails to connect what IP does the PC get?

Associate
OP
Okay well I'll get that ordered but in the meantime, what would I be looking for in the event logs? And how do I check what IP its connecting to when it fails? cmd>ipconfig?

Soldato
IPCONFIG for the IP.

For the Event Log look under the various Windows Logs for errors occurring at the time you booted the computer. There'll be a lot of errors that don't matter and you can ignore, bou might find some that only crop up when it fails to connect.

Associate
You don't happen to have a neighbour that's also having issue with powerline adapters do you? Theres another thread going at the moment about him and his neighbours networks connecting and using each others routers.

Associate
OP
So got testing it here, started up and it failed to connect, PS4 was already running and connected fine prior to boot.

In ipconfig all it says under Ethernet adapter and tunnel adapter is “media disconnected”, no IP address’s or anything.

In the event viewer the only errors I found were 6 DistributedCOM’s, a Time-Service warning and e1iexpress warning.

Replace powerline with direct cables. Problem sorted forever.

If only routing a ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs were so easy :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Are the powerline adapters paired properly? Read the instructions on how to make sure they only talk to each other and not any in your neighbours houses. Plug them both into a double socket when you pair them to make sure they see each other as the closest ones rather than any others that are interfering, then put them back where you want them.

Associate
OP
Are the powerline adapters paired properly? Read the instructions on how to make sure they only talk to each other and not any in your neighbours houses. Plug them both into a double socket when you pair them to make sure they see each other as the closest ones rather than any others that are interfering, then put them back where you want them.

Sorry I meant to reply to your previous comment. I doubt my 2 next door neighbours use adapters, they are mostly mobile and laptop users. I guess there could potentially be a power line user a couple doors down (I don’t know for sure) but I don’t know if that would affect it that far away, however I do live in terrace housing.

But I will put them in a double socket when I’m home from work and pair them just to ensure they’re finding each other properly.

Soldato
In the event viewer the only errors I found were 6 DistributedCOM’s, a Time-Service warning and e1iexpress warning.

If you Google 'e1iexpress' it does appear to be a network related error (media disconnected).

Have you checked that the PC's network drivers are up to date?
Have you tried a different network cable from the PC to whatever it plugs into?
What does the PC plug into? Are there network switches involved?
Are you in the habit of switching the PC power off at the wall?

Associate
OP
If you Google 'e1iexpress' it does appear to be a network related error (media disconnected).

Have you checked that the PC's network drivers are up to date?
Have you tried a different network cable from the PC to whatever it plugs into?
What does the PC plug into? Are there network switches involved?
Are you in the habit of switching the PC power off at the wall?

Nope, but I will later when I’m home. I’ve a very old mobo, an Asus P8Z68-V PRO and I’m led to believe they never released windows 10 support but I should be able to get windows 10 updates for the individual network driver right?

Nope, but I will later

The PSU you mean or? The PC is plugged into an extension lead (don’t have a choice with this) but the adapter is plugged into a wall socket connected to the PC via a 5m cat6 cable.

Nope, power from the wall is never switched off.

It is, ask an electrician friend to give you a hand :)

Well I don’t have any electrician friends unfortunately but from your experience what sort of price would I be charged for this?

Soldato
That board has an Intel NIC so you should be able to download the driver from them.

So the PC connects directly to the Powerline adapter? Does the console also connect directly to the same Powerline adapter? It's difficult to get a clear view of what's connected to what when we can't see it and you haven't provided any details.

If the problems continues it could be worth installing a discrete network adapter.

Associate
OP
Yes my adapter is dual Ethernet port with a passthrough so both my PC and PS4 are connected directly to it via a 5m cat6 cable like I said in my last post.

What exactly is a discrete network adapter? Done a quick google search there couldn’t seem to find too much on it?

Back
Top Bottom