Seeing lease agreement before making a formal offer?

Soldato
A) This simply cannot be true unless it's an unregistered lease as the Land Registry holds copies;
B) Even if it was true, why would any estate agent not get the owner's permission when it could potentially mean they miss out on at least an interested party, let alone a sale.
No. It is against the data protection act for the agent to provide the information without the express permission of the owner regardless of whether the information is easily obtainable. That was the point I was making. Without the owners permission, I as an agent (hypothetically) wouldn’t go sending out copies of the lease to someone just because they may want to make an offer - on what basis does the agent have any reason to trust that person will act responsibly with the information regardless of who they are? The owner is the agents client and it is by their instruction that the agent must act.i wouldn’t want a copy of my lease entering less inbox and that ending up on the internet for others to see. Regardless of what’s in it.

Of course, if it is the instruction of the owner that the lease is not divulged until such a time as an offer is made, then that should be made clear to the potential buyer. It goes both ways - and trust in the buying / selling game is one of the hardest things to nurture and easiest things to loose - hence lots of people are very cautious (I.e, with leases in this instance) right from the get go.

Man of Honour
No. It is against the data protection act for the agent to provide the information without the express permission of the owner regardless of whether the information is easily obtainable. That was the point I was making. Without the owners permission, I as an agent (hypothetically) wouldn’t go sending out copies of the lease to someone just because they may want to make an offer - on what basis does the agent have any reason to trust that person will act responsibly with the information regardless of who they are? The owner is the agents client and it is by their instruction that the agent must act.i wouldn’t want a copy of my lease entering less inbox and that ending up on the internet for others to see. Regardless of what’s in it.

Of course, if it is the instruction of the owner that the lease is not divulged until such a time as an offer is made, then that should be made clear to the potential buyer. It goes both ways - and trust in the buying / selling game is one of the hardest things to nurture and easiest things to loose - hence lots of people are very cautious (I.e, with leases in this instance) right from the get go.
wow just utter stupidity, there's nothing in a lease to hide, and if you really wanted to you could redact signatures and names.

Soldato
wow just utter stupidity, there's nothing in a lease to hide, and if you really wanted to you could redact signatures and names.

Yes darling I’m sure that’s true but it doesn’t detract from my point - the agent can not provide a copy of the lease without the permission of the owner. I’m not seeking an argument with you regardless of how stupid the system is. The facts are the facts. The data protection act is also a fact.

Let’s leave it there.

Associate
The lease cannot be withheld on data protection reasons as it’s a public document. I would never make an offer without seeing the lease.

Just a heads up - Local Authority owned blocks tend to be the worst run blocks with extortionate charges and no common sense or cost efficiencies applied. Also check for cladding to see if you might be liable. I’ve dealt with many over the years and wouldn’t go near one personally.

Man of Honour
Yes darling I’m sure that’s true but it doesn’t detract from my point - the agent can not provide a copy of the lease without the permission of the owner. I’m not seeking an argument with you regardless of how stupid the system is. The facts are the facts. The data protection act is also a fact.

Let’s leave it there.
You have no point, other than estate agents not doing there job and being lazy.

Back
Top Bottom