Coffee Adiction

Associate
The only time I drink coffee is my 1 a day from Costa. Just a large latte, nothing added. And your right OP, £626 a year roughly. But, the Costa club card/app helps a bit :p

Associate
i can spend up to £15 a day on coffee if im out early away with work. Usually drink filter which comes in at £3.50 a time!

Helps that i work for a speciality coffee company though so get my beans for free and usually make a v60 most mornings!

Soldato
Who else suffers from the above problem?
's not a problem if you don't suffer....

Apparently the average person spends £600 a year on coffee, imagine if we could all kick this addiction in the balls and get rid, it's like a free top end GPU a year!
I spend maybe £5 a month on a big jar of coffee, so maybe a tenth of this 'average' spend... Used to get Carte Noire, but they sold up to Dowe Egberts. Now I'm on these little jars of hazelnut coffee, although they're a bit pricey.
Between that and the free stuff at work (switch between normal and decaff, depending how I feel at the time), I'm drinking about 5 or 6 pints a day.

I rarely buy from coffee shops because they're ridiculously priced and rarely taste any good. A few small shops do stuff that isn't boiled mud seasoned with dirt, but big brand name shops are just a waste of money. I do also keep some stuff for the stovetop espresso maker, but that's more of a Summer drink. Can't warm your hands wrapping them round an espresso thimble!

Soldato
I have one bucket of coffee when I get up, strong NATO standard, and then it's mugs of tea for the rest of the day. I do like a good mocha with double, or triple, espresso and glug of hazelnut syrup though.

Associate
If you're going to be addicted to coffee at least do it right. Find an independent cafe that makes a proper coffee, or learn to do it yourself, and save yourself some money at the same time.

Soldato
I have a cup of instant with breakfast and a cup of vending machine coffee after lunch at work, then a cup of tea in the evening.

Gave up caffeine for a few days and got blinding headaches and constipation! Quick cup of coffee and everything was regular as clockwork and the headache disappeared :)

We have a grinder and cafetiere but I can't be bothered any more, just a cup if instant is fine.

Soldato
Yup. Got grinder, aeropress, cafetiere, chemex, v40 etc etc. Still end up in Starbucks most weekdays, on the bright side I get cashback for reward card top ups and get free extra shots for gold rewards level :D

'Average person' spends £600, so given a lot of us don't use overpriced coffee chains, the regulars probably spend double that. Baffles me.

£3.60 for a large extra shot latte. Multiply that by days a year..

Soldato
Is it an addiction if its one cup of warm milk with a hint of coffee a day? I'd say thats just more of a habit tbh.

The addiction is genuine though. I'm irritable at the best of times, cut coffee out of that too and I don't even enjoy my own company.

Associate
Same as neil_g, I have a coffee addiction! Can't really stand the high street chains now I've gone down the coffee micro roaster route, grind and pour my own. I have subscriptions to Extract, North Star and Square Mile. Costs roughly £25 a month but plenty of coffee to cover me and lots of origins/flavours to choose from depending on my preference.

Man of Honour
I was close to 20 cups/pods a day, urologist made me drink less....lots less after he explained why had to see him and why coffee was the cause!

Soldato
'Average person' spends £600, so given a lot of us don't use overpriced coffee chains, the regulars probably spend double that. Baffles me.

This! Given I would say I like my coffee, and I've just worked out I spend maybe £100/year on it, then someone out there must be doing a good job making up for my apparent poor performance :p

Man of Honour
I probably have 4-6 cups a day. I find going to get a coffee at work, and reaching for my cup, a handy distraction and ‘knick knack’ habit.

Soldato
I generally have three cups a day but very rarely buy it out. I have a Gaggia at home and Aeropress in the office so am reluctant to spend £3 on an overpriced cup from somewhere. All in all it works out that I spend about £30 a month on beans.

Soldato
OP
I generally have three cups a day but very rarely buy it out. I have a Gaggia at home and Aeropress in the office so am reluctant to spend £3 on an overpriced cup from somewhere. All in all it works out that I spend about £30 a month on beans.

I'd be happier buying beans, I guess it's just I don't like black coffee, I like lattes and it's hard to make them the same as buying them.

Back
Top Bottom