Critique my build please

Soldato
Hi guys, its a while since I have built a PC, so I just want to ensure my research is correct and see if there is anything you would change.

I am looking to build a high end gaming PC for a friend, he already has a decent case and PSU, so we only need the internals. CPU will be watercooled using his current custom system which I built for him in 2007 ! For now we will leave the GPU on stock cooling and see how it goes.

My main concern is have I got the right SSD compatibility for the mobo.
Currently the mem is out of stock, any recommendations for similarly spec'd reliable mem ?

Anyhow, this is what I was thinking:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,740.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Thoughts ?

Associate
Consider switching the M.2 out for a 256GB model and have it for Windows and your applications.

You can then add a 500GB SSD for your mass storage of games. Add another further down the line if it starts filling up.

Rest of the build is fine. When it comes to high end parts its as much down to personal preference. Do you want RGB everywhere? Are you focusing on cooling etc.

You have not included a CPU cooler. For the i7 8700k I would recommend something like the Noctua NH-D15 or similar to keep that cool. Perhaps a 240mm AIO cooler if you prefer. Don't bother with 120, 140mm AIO coolers, they aren't even as good as a high end air cooler.

With hindsight I would have ditched my Corsair H100i v2 and gone with something like a Dark Rock Pro air cooler and used that money for something else.

Soldato
OP
TBH I went with the larger SSD because I think we will aim to put one (or two space allowing) of his most played games + add-ons on that drive too.
Cooling, yep covered he has an EK Supreme HF nickel/acetal CPU block on the current system which I will strip and clean ready for re-use, It will all be sitting in a Corsair Obsidian 800D case with an RX360 Rad with YL 120 fans. :)

Lighting isn't a concern, looking more for subtle and smart.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's that particular PSU?
With that price level GPU (+CPU&mobo) it would better be good quality one instead of pile of cheap parts.

Soldato
OP
Shouldn't have any issues really. Corsair TX850W.
It's been reliably powering a 965BE clocked @ 4ghz and a GTX480 for the past 11 years, thanks to the advancement of tech, I don't think the i7 and 1080Ti are much, if any, more power hungry ?

Man of Honour
If going for the m.2 SSD. Then get an nvme SSD instead (like 960evo/sm961).
Also don't need sshd for a 2nd drive. A standard HDD would do for media files.
Intel is not so ram speed sensitive. 3200mhz ram would be sufficient.
Same with the mobo, if not specifically required a high end board, asrock extreme 4 should be sufficient

Soldato
OP
Hi Tamzzy, Thanks for that, The M.2 SSD's is one area I am unsure of.
Interesting on RAM speeds too, thanks.

1. What advantage does the nvme offer over the sata models ?
2. Do all Z370 Chipset boards support both or is it motherboard specific ?

Soldato
I would go with something like this.

Flagship Gigabyte board with UK warranty support and a forum rep.

An NVMe SSD won't really make any noticeable difference if he is just gaming. I would rather go with a SATA such as the 850 EVO. There is also the new TeamGroup SSD's which are priced very well. As mentioned above ram would be fine at 3000 - 3200 etc. And no need for a SSHD. Just go with a regular HDD.

Total: £584.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Man of Honour
What advantage does the nvme offer over the sata models
Nvme has faster read/write speeds, but as @lee32uk said, this difference is minimal during gaming. More applicable if doing stuff that thrashes the HDD/SSD like video editing. If budget is an issue than a sata3 SSD would be just fine. But SSD capacity trumps speed. So I'd get a 1tb sata3 SSD over a 500gb nvme SSD any day

Associate
Hi guys, its a while since I have built a PC, so I just want to ensure my research is correct and see if there is anything you would change.

I am looking to build a high end gaming PC for a friend, he already has a decent case and PSU, so we only need the internals. CPU will be watercooled using his current custom system which I built for him in 2007 ! For now we will leave the GPU on stock cooling and see how it goes.

My main concern is have I got the right SSD compatibility for the mobo.
Currently the mem is out of stock, any recommendations for similarly spec'd reliable mem ?

Anyhow, this is what I was thinking:

Total: £1,740.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Thoughts ?

Not enough RGB

Back
Top Bottom