Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Associate
Odogaron's a fun one to take on, really like his fairly sporadic movement patterns.
I think the first time you take down Bazelgeuse with a melee weapon is one of the most satisfying battles.

Edit:
Quite enjoy taking down Diablos as well.
I always make it a mission to break it's horns before finishing it off though as I like the challenge of having to be in it's face.

I've already got you. I'm "Anti-Chav"
I'm also on tonight if you still need a hand with Pink Rathian.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've hit the chance of doing High Rank and now I feel confused. With the armour, is it better to go a or b? All I seem to see is one contains extra add ons but the other can't have decorations?

I'm actually aiming towards getting the full Odogaron High Rank set. The movements he makes can really catch me off guard but I love fighting him.

Associate
The way I look at the Alpha and Beta variants of the armour is like this:
If the secondary skill on the Alpha item look like it'll benefit my build then I buy that, if not then I buy the Beta and attach a decoration that adds a worthwhile skill for my play style... usually Critical Boost, Attack Up, Handicraft or Flight.

The Odogaron set is a good early on to get for melee fighters because of the quickened sharpening and protective polish skill from the set that gives you a full minute of your sharpness not going down - really makes a huge difference when you get a weapon with a little bit of white sharpness.

Soldato
New monster out today. Some of the raw damage on the weapons is quite impressive though massive negative affinity. Balances out though with the element damage.

Associate
If the secondary skill on the Alpha item look like it'll benefit my build then I buy that

Pretty much! Alphas are good to begin with as you don't have many decos, no harm in making both if you have the cash. Word of warning on items that need gems though, think carefully before you pull the trigger. Almost all of my gear is beta now as I've got quite a few decos.

New monster out today. Some of the raw damage on the weapons is quite impressive though massive negative affinity. Balances out though with the element damage.
Going to check him out tonight!

I've been using elemental bow builds. Farmed a tempered Odo last night with a 510 Ice bow, absolutely shredded.

Soldato
I feel that comunication is key when you are fighting monsters with friends or randoms on this.

I struggled for a week or 2 on Pink Rath until last night. Venom/LackyT came and helped me out, and just the 2 of us took him down, and it was incredibly "easy". No carting and everything was controlled.

Now it's time to go hunt Big Ugly himself and start focussing on crafting some nice armour.

Associate
Nerg is dead! First attempt also! Enjoyed that fight.

Now I can focus on armour, but unsure what direction to take as I main Switch Axe.

The Nergigante switchaxe is good along with the armour. The best raw damage switch axe is the diablos axe of demons, you do need an elementless jewel to get the very best out of it though. For the Axe of Demons it can get to white sharpness with 4 in handicraft couple this with weakness exploit (dragon Eyepatch is best armour for this) at level 3 and you will be doing very good damage on crits. You can then focus anything else prioritising affinity then attack.

other jewels which would go really well would be tenderizer (1 point in weakness exploit) protective polish (does not lose sharpness for 1 minute after sharpening maintaining that excellent dmg boost from white sharpness)

Once you have a build like that you can start switching bits and pieces for specific fights eg Vaal gear or Miasma jewels to negate the effluvia debuff (cuts your health bar in half) Kushala gear to negate his wind attacks and maybe an earplugs set (needs to be level5 or nothing though) for the Bagel or when fighting multiple monsters when you could get chain raws.

FYI the nergigante switch axe will not benefit from handicraft as it cannot get to white sharpness, does have a large amount of blue though, concentrate on affinity/attack on that one with upping the dragon element.

Another really fun swax is the barroth grinder III which has good base damage and a hefty chunk of paralyse which is great in groups as you can all go to town if you have paralysed the moster.

I would try and get the Diablos Axe of Demons first off though as it will be useful against all enemies, and then build more specific sets.

Enjoy!

Associate

Despite the negative affinity, those weapons are actually now the hardest hitting weapons in the game, for most weapon types. Especially considering you can get them to white sharpness with the handicraft skill for an extra 10% damage boost. They might become the new meta (from Hazak/Nerg weapons). I managed to get the gems to max out the greatsword today.

Despite being a big fan of Monster Hunter, I feel pretty burnt out after sinking 200 hours into it, the second hundred being end-game and completing upgrades, etc. The RNG on both getting quests and then getting the decorations and Streamstones you want is just too off-putting for me. Gems and plates are no pain to farm anymore since investigations have decent chances at dropping them and there's always trading gold/silver tickets at the melder.

Soldato
Oh interesting. Think I'll farm it.

Well you got your money's worth. I'm around 130 hours and tend to jump in to do the weekly and bits and bobs.

Would be interested to see what the next update in 2 weeks will bring.

Soldato
Just reached the mission to track down Nergigante... two times I've fought him tonight and both times he ends up limping home with the skull symbol on the map.. Great, he should be dead soon. Yeah right! His attacks at the late stage are bloody annoying.

I feel like monsters are bullies as so many times I can be knocked down, stunned or whatever else and they will literally stalk you to get in that final hit to kill you off as soon as you stand up. My cat may be attacking you from behind but sure, completely ignore her!

Will attack him tomorrow but I'm tempted to just go hunting a little first so I can upgrade a pair of my power and armour charms.

Back
Top Bottom