Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Back to Ceefax it is then :/

Not relevant as Im not seeing API but I find them useful http://www.moneyam.com/register/

A digital currency is a currency only available in digital form. USD is not a digital currency.

BTC can be exchanged offline I think. I dont see it so much now but some used to make coins to go with it. The vast majority of USD is never physically exchanged, so thats my point.

Not sure its worth arguing the point as the majority have a certain point of view of what is money. Jim Rickards discusses this stuff and no doubt can justify with far better qualification and research then I could. He says bitcoin is money just due to confidence but he also thinks it will fail.
Other examples of money:
VNFC07Eg.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
BTC can be exchanged offline I think. I dont see it so much now but some used to make coins to go with it. The vast majority of USD is never physically exchanged, so thats my point.

Not sure its worth arguing the point as the majority have a certain point of view of what is money.

I wasn't trying to argue the point I was just pointing out what a digital currency is as people seemed to be making up their own terms. Bitcoin is a digital currency because it is only available in digital form, that doesn't apply to USD.

Yup bitcoins could be exchanged by handing over a USB drive too if you like (you could make it in the shape of a coin though not sure it changes anything conceptually) - it is still only available in digital form... the coin is just a container and has negligible value in itself, it is just the digital contents of it that have been assigned value.

Associate
Looking for some suggestions from the seasoned investors among you.

I want to put about £5K into a high risk/ high reward fund and also put £10K into a low-medium risk fund.

There are sooooo many funds out there and a lot of conflicting info if anyone could make some recommendations for me it would be appreciated. I appreciate it's very hard to pinpoint as you cant guarantee the market but roughly what % ROI I should be expecting from whatever funds you suggest.

If it helps or makes any difference I use Barclays as my platform and have a self managed stocks and shares ISA account. Currently have shares in several companies but now would like to branch out into funds and broaden my portfolio.

Thanks.

Permabanned
I want to put about £5K into a high risk/ high reward fund and also put £10K into a low-medium risk fund.
There'll probably be some double-puchasing in this, both funds are likely to contain some of the same stuff, better to decide on a level of risk.
But also understand that traditionally low risk funds will have a large proportion of bonds, and they're in a bubble which will pop as interest rates rise over the coming years.
Global equities are also in a bubble, right now that's being closely watched with the whole Facebook/Trump trade war shenanigans.
My view is there'll be a much better time to buy in the next 2-3 years than today.

Associate
A not wildly dissimilar request to that above, I am looking to set up a monthly investment of c£2000 per month into a couple of managed funds. I have built up reasonable stakes in UK companies that I have faith in / work for / know people who work for them (c£40k split between 4 companies) and would like to get some exposure to the rest of the world. I was thinking something along the lines of £500pm Japan, £500pm Asia pacific ex Japan, £500pm India £500pm North America. I have three children in nursery at the moment costing c£1400 pm, when i no longer need to pay these fees, I will pile the extra cash into investing.

I was planning on having a look at the Hargreaves Lansdown wealth 150 (who I used to work for and am invested in) and choosing some sensible funds but am very open to suggestions :) The intention is to cash out in 5- 7 years and use the funds to buy a holiday property. Any suggestions / advice welcome

Soldato
Don't worry about short term price movements unless you're a trader. There are always bull and bear factors, and people get spooked very easily. Fear is generated, which is later seen to be overblown- goes on and on and on.

Soldato
Hope this isn't out of place in this thread for those that dabble or more in their own portfolio's or share trades but has anyone managed to stave off less than 5% losses over the last month or two?

Reason I ask is I have a Stocks & Shares ISA and iirc about 6 weeks ago was up about 9.85% over 15 months, today after weeks of losses, its down to 0.11% up. I know in the long term it'll almost certainly recover but it just seems everytime Trump does something or there's rumour of interest rate rises, stocks tumble although the US (DOW) seems to have bigger up & down days but on balance I think its lost a lot less than FTSE based stocks (which I think my ISA is probably 75% based on).

In short, just curious if these tumbles back to 15 month lows are fairly common or is Trump really messing the market up despite his bragging 6-8 weeks back about how well the US stocks were doing?

Personally I use my ISA for Dividends. My long term goal is to split it over 5/6 stable companies and just reap dividends tax free while adding 20k to it each year.

At the moment i'm all ploughed into two shares:

LLOY: about 8% of my ISA. Been there for years

PFC: 92% of my ISA. Up 43% from it's low of about £3.50 and providing a real nice dividend. Eggs in one basket but at some point i'll sell and diversify.

Soldato
Oil seems very bullish now. Maybe commodities in general doing not so badly due to dollar weakness story.
I own PSX but might sell that into strength as oil approaches late 2015 prices. I think gold rising is likely to help FCX but it might be simplier for me to trade RIO who own a part share also in one of the worlds largest mines which presently has some doubts helping to reverse FCX gains since December.
EGO price destroyed by similar problems with its Greek gold mine vs government, it would be the largest gold mine in europe if allowed. Considering Greece needs the business its pretty unfortunate for everyone , I guess it'll take 10 years in any case so price is speculative. Less risk/more cashflow returns in APF or even CEY

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-01/apocalyptic-paul-tudor-jones-warns-fed-about-lose-control

https://youtu.be/1CLhqjOzoyE?t=915

Soldato
Personally I use my ISA for Dividends. My long term goal is to split it over 5/6 stable companies and just reap dividends tax free while adding 20k to it each year.

At the moment i'm all ploughed into two shares:

LLOY: about 8% of my ISA. Been there for years

PFC: 92% of my ISA. Up 43% from it's low of about £3.50 and providing a real nice dividend. Eggs in one basket but at some point i'll sell and diversify.

Just realised my post was last up until now. My baby PFC still going string, now up almost 62% and amazingly today just paid an 18p dividend.....and climbed back to raise about half of that back on divi day. Great day!

Edit: Make that 1p down :eek: 17p recovery on divi day!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, hoping someone can help in this thread. I'm a total noob at all this so apologies for all the questions.

We have shares through a share incentive plan/save as you earn type investment in the company that my wife works at. We've been investing for the last 9 years and have built up a fair amount from this.

From my understanding, they are held by a third party through which we sell if we wish to cash them in. In the past, when we've done this, my wife has phoned said company (used to be capita) and we've had the money in our account a week or 2 later. The main problem with this is that during that time, the share price may change so we never know precisely what we are getting in terms of the value until it hits our account. The whole process takes far too long.

We'd like to transfer these shares over to a share dealing account with our bank (or something similar) so we can sell more instantaneously. We are about to buy a house and need to cash in some of the shares (roughly 30k's worth) to put towards our new place.

My question really is how? Is it as simple as opening a share dealing account and filling out a from to transfer them over? Neither of us have ever dealt in shares and do not currently have a stocks and shares ISA so we're a bit confused by the whole thing. As most of the shares have remained within the share incentive plan for over 5 years I think we are exempt from paying capital gains. If we transfer them over to a share dealing account with our bank, do we lose that privilege?

Has anyone done this before or can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

:)

Soldato
Capita, with phone dealing, should give you a price there and then at the point of sale. If the shares are held on their nominee they'll transfer the funds to your bank account in a couple of days. If they're certificated, they can still do this if you're generally prompt in getting the certificates and transfer form back to them. Most other brokers will be the same, but equally most are online and again give you the price there and then - you can choose to accept it or not.

You should be exempt from CGT if held for five years. That won't change if you transfer them - the key price is the point they became available out of the scheme rather than the point of transfer.

Soldato
Just realised my post was last up until now. My baby PFC still going string, now up almost 62% and amazingly today just paid an 18p dividend.....and climbed back to raise about half of that back on divi day. Great day!

Edit: Make that 1p down :eek: 17p recovery on divi day!
PFC put in a decent low seems like. Post up any news you see, I have that one also

cjSPJVm.png
https://twitter.com/TraderStef/status/988908228602888192

Phillips 66 earnings - https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...309431f4b67b5d55171db2a9d69e435&uprof=45&dr=1

Last edited:
Soldato
Some discussion in the video below by Jim Grant as mentioned in the Big short, on Euro Junk bonds yielding less then US treasury debt, etc
Very bearish, one of the four horsemen calling a cyclical bear market to bonds which has boomed since early 80's and 15% rates. Just posting as some resource or in case anyone has trouble sleeping perhaps :p

https://youtu.be/66UsX-zzVbA?t=2328

Wish I did rebuy BP also or Shell even, The decline of Venezuela is part of that story. Libya becoming calm and productive would help lower price also. There is a good demand growth rate apparently, so positive for world GDP outlook overall?
I sold some AAZ because its a tiny little company which has gone up a lot and is now showing at 10% holding. I guess it can go up a lot still but not good to only hold non yielding stock based near Iran

at93XDa.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom