Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
What's the most tried and tested way of removing swirl marks?

I'm picking up a new (to me) car this week, and it's covered in them. I've never really given a hoot about car cleaning/detailing, but now the weather should be improving, I'd like to start taking a bit more pride in my motor's appearance.

Would appreciate some recommends for stuff to help keep the paint looking fresh after each wash too. Keep in mind I'm a car-washing novice, so dumb it down if you can! :)

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
For me the beginner kit should be :

• 2 buckets and a decent mitt (ive used Kent noodle mitts well.)
  • Decent shampoo, i use chemical guys citrus.
  • Clay bar - bilt hamber.
  • Autoglym Tar remover.
  • Autoglym super resin - old but gold polish with mild cut and fillers.
  • Collinite 915 or FK1000P wax - hard wearing, good for 6 months beading.
  • Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer - to use as a drying aid after a wash and helps keep the wax topped up a bit.
  • Kent drying towels.
Once you get into the hobby a bit more, i'd invest in a rotary with decent pads (CG hex,3M etc etc), i'd get a jet wash (nilfisk are better than karcher in my experience),snowfoam gun,iron x fall out remover, much fancier polishes and glazes and much much more lol

Associate
How bad are the swirls, minor ones can be masked by a filler polish like auto Glym super resin, bad ones will need a machine polish.

Pretty bad from what I can recall - I'll probably give it a go by hand before either getting a rotary/getting someone in to do - I can't make it any worse! Will give it a closer inspection when I pick it up mid-week.

For me the beginner kit should be :

• 2 buckets and a decent mitt (ive used Kent noodle mitts well.)
  • Decent shampoo, i use chemical guys citrus.
  • Clay bar - bilt hamber.
  • Autoglym Tar remover.
  • Autoglym super resin - old but gold polish with mild cut and fillers.
  • Collinite 915 or FK1000P wax - hard wearing, good for 6 months beading.
  • Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer - to use as a drying aid after a wash and helps keep the wax topped up a bit.
  • Kent drying towels.
Once you get into the hobby a bit more, i'd invest in a rotary with decent pads (CG hex,3M etc etc), i'd get a jet wash (nilfisk are better than karcher in my experience),snowfoam gun,iron x fall out remover, much fancier polishes and glazes and much much more lol

Thanks for this - very helpful. I've just watched a video of a guy washing his car - 15 separate steps. Almost lost my mind when he dried it, applied tar/fallout remover, rinsed it, then dried it again!

I appreciate the effort that goes in to cleaning a car, and can certainly appreciate the results, so it's definitely something I'm keen to get to grips with.

Don
So gave the focus it's first full wash since winter today (had just been snowfoaming and pressure washing) and noticed quite a few rust coloured dots on the rear bumper. Car is white and apparently fairly common problem (although had it 2 years now and first time I've seen it).

Thinking of buying some ironx as seems to come up as the solution, but also think I need a claybar/lube?
Any suggestions on choice and also idiot guide to using/storing/reusing etc.

Associate
So gave the focus it's first full wash since winter today (had just been snowfoaming and pressure washing) and noticed quite a few rust coloured dots on the rear bumper. Car is white and apparently fairly common problem (although had it 2 years now and first time I've seen it).

Thinking of buying some ironx as seems to come up as the solution, but also think I need a claybar/lube?
Any suggestions on choice and also idiot guide to using/storing/reusing etc.

Iron X should get it off with a few hits.

Claybar - I like Bilt Hamber soft (quarter of a bar is all you'll need if that), can just use water as lube (I add a little car shampoo for extra lubrication).

At this time of year when you want to use it, keep it in a bowl of warm water as it makes it much easier to manipulate. Regularly fold it over and store it back in the box.

Don
Iron X should get it off with a few hits.

Claybar - I like Bilt Hamber soft (quarter of a bar is all you'll need if that), can just use water as lube (I add a little car shampoo for extra lubrication).

At this time of year when you want to use it, keep it in a bowl of warm water as it makes it much easier to manipulate. Regularly fold it over and store it back in the box.

Thanks - have ordered the Bilt Hamber soft clay and some IronX - will let you know how I get on (probably next weekend).

Soldato
hmm.. my Karcher K2 packed up yesterday, obviously I already have the accessories so just the washer itself would cost me £60 from screwfix..

Is the Nilfisk really that much better?

Soldato
hmm.. my Karcher K2 packed up yesterday, obviously I already have the accessories so just the washer itself would cost me £60 from screwfix..

probably the pump

I've only had my k4 for a few days but it seems alright for now.

had my bosch for a couple of years and it's still going strong(other than psi etc)

nilfisk runs a metal pump so they're stronger in general.

Soldato
probably the pump

I've only had my k4 for a few days but it seems alright for now.

had my bosch for a couple of years and it's still going strong(other than psi etc)

nilfisk runs a metal pump so they're stronger in general.
Yeah not sure what went wrong on mine but I'm guessing either the pump or motor failed.

I think I'll go with the Nilfisk this time, the change of colour can't hurt either :p

Associate
Gave the 1 Series MSport Shadow Edition a good wash on Saturday. Hand wash with AG Shampoo, dried using AG Aqua Wax and finished off with CarPlan No.1 Super Gloss (highly praised by Gibbo earlier in the thread). There was some seriously good water beading going on this morning! A few miles down the Motorway to work and last nights dew had flown right off - car was dry as I pulled into the car park. Excellent stuff!

Shawrey

Associate

you can get a karcher to nilfisk adaptor for around £10 as i have been looking my self at changing to a nilfisk from my k4 only thing that was stopping me was all the karaher accessorys that i have.And yes the nilfisk are better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom