Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Just got my replacement monitor which is an A07 (previous one was A04). After looking through this thread for settings the posts regarding calibration tools are making me think it's about time I had one. As someone who just mainly games is it worth buying one? If so, would the ColorMunki Smile and Spyder5 Express (about same price to buy) both be adequate for me? My eyesight is not 100% and slowly getting worse in my twilight years :)

Man of Honour
Just got my replacement monitor which is an A07 (previous one was A04). After looking through this thread for settings the posts regarding calibration tools are making me think it's about time I had one. As someone who just mainly games is it worth buying one? If so, would the ColorMunki Smile and Spyder5 Express (about same price to buy) both be adequate for me? My eyesight is not 100% and slowly getting worse in my twilight years :)

Unless you are really sensitive to very dialled in colours - if you are doing something where it is really critical these monitors aren't for you anyhow - it isn't essential - you can get a nice image from them with some basic tweaking that is bright and vibrant while still natural looking and reasonably close to accurate.

I've actually slightly tweaked mine away from the most accurate settings as some slight adjustments make the display "pop" more which is nice for gaming and doesn't bother me too much when compared to the properly calibrated IPS along side it.

Soldato
Unless you are really sensitive to very dialled in colours - if you are doing something where it is really critical these monitors aren't for you anyhow - it isn't essential - you can get a nice image from them with some basic tweaking that is bright and vibrant while still natural looking and reasonably close to accurate.

I've actually slightly tweaked mine away from the most accurate settings as some slight adjustments make the display "pop" more which is nice for gaming and doesn't bother me too much when compared to the properly calibrated IPS along side it.

Thanks, it looks good to my eyes now :).

I've never changed anything in the Nvidia CP before so is there anything I need to change in there for this monitor? It's already set to use G-Sync but no idea about all the other settings.

Man of Honour
Under adjust desktop colours settings adjusting the gamma can be useful - but I've not had my hands on a A07 to see if that is even necessary with that version.

If you aren't too worried about accuracy then Digital vibrance up a couple of notches can make the image look more vibrant as well. I'm not a fan personally but some people like it.

As long as you've enabled G-Sync no other changes should be necessary.

Associate
Hi, I've just bought a s2716dg rev A07 and am using it with displayport and a 980. About twice an hour while gaming a vertical line appears in the middle of the screen and the image on the right half of the screen seems to overlap by a few mm. Is this a faulty screen issue or something else?
Thanks

Soldato
I took a punt and bought a Spyder5 Express to calibrate my monitor. Took late to use it now so I'll try it out tomorrow but got a couple of questions before I use it:

1. Do I have to factory reset the monitor and Nvidia CP settings before using it?
2. Do I pick the LCD (Generic) or the LCD (White LED) option?

Cheers

Soldato
Well, I must have really kak eyesight cos I can't really tell the difference between using the Spyder to when I manually set it. I've done it a couple of times now and didn't like the results so gone back to my old settings. Might give it another go after some more reading up and if it's still the same it's going back. I was using DisplayCal so I might give it a go with the Spyder software to see what that produces.

Soldato
So I've just grabbed one of these for £246, when it says it has been reduced from £500. Is that a good deal or is there a reason it has had a massive reduction??

Soldato
So I've just grabbed one of these for £246, when it says it has been reduced from £500. Is that a good deal or is there a reason it has had a massive reduction??

I was tempted at that price just to see what turned up, but it looks like the product has completely disappeared from the merchant's catalogue when there were 4 in stock.

Smells fishy...

Soldato
Bought the screen and started using it yesterday, I am very happy so far with the quality of the screen itself, the only annoyance are the tiny buttons and how hard it is to press them.

How do you make sure that GSYNC is enabled while playing a game? I have noticed that you can press the settings button on the monitor and then press the button next to it again to get some info displayed including the GSYNC message on, I assume this indicates that GSYNC is on.

Soldato
Did it arrive?
Unfortunately no. I did some more looking into it after posting here, and made a few phone calls and apparently the sellers account had been compromised, so it wasn't them selling the item. Amazon should have known this and stopped that account from selling anything but they hadn't. They were next to useless helping me, but I cancelled my credit card and was told I would have any money taken refunded back to me. Fortunately none was, so that was OK.

Still on the lookout for a new monitor :).

Associate
Mine arrived today, A07 revision. Very impressed. I've been using a BenQ XL2411T with Lightboost up to now, but there's no comparison, really. I'm no expert but it looks amazing, and G-Sync is just incredible. Buttons are fiddly but once set-up to your liking you won't really bother with them. You can toggle G-Sync via the Nvidia control panel.

Soldato
I took a punt and bought a Spyder5 Express to calibrate my monitor. Took late to use it now so I'll try it out tomorrow but got a couple of questions before I use it:

1. Do I have to factory reset the monitor and Nvidia CP settings before using it?
2. Do I pick the LCD (Generic) or the LCD (White LED) option?

Cheers
You shouldn't have to factory reset the monitor, but I would reset any colour changes you made in the Nvidia control panel. The monitor is a "White LED" model so you should pick that (most are these days).

Soldato
Well, I must have really kak eyesight cos I can't really tell the difference between using the Spyder to when I manually set it. I've done it a couple of times now and didn't like the results so gone back to my old settings. Might give it another go after some more reading up and if it's still the same it's going back. I was using DisplayCal so I might give it a go with the Spyder software to see what that produces.
You should have been presented with an option to import colour corrections for your Spyder from the Spyder software when you first launched DisplayCal. You should say yes for it to work properly.

Man of Honour
Wow had some burn in like effect with this monitor today :( I usually have a web-browser up on one half of the screen and there is an inversion of the line between the web page contents and the toolbar :( which stays there 50/50 with whatever pixel value is being rendered there - leaving it on a black screen it has faded away but was definitely on the monitor - changing source had the same line in the same place.

Associate
Hello,

I have recently purchased this amazing monitor, could anybody help me regarding these two questions, please:

- What is Deep Sleep?

- The monitor turns itself on, as soon as i turn my UPS on, i have my PC and monitor connected to my UPS, why this happens?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom