Chain lube recommendations?

Soldato
Hi all,

What's your preferred lube.......ooer!!!!:p

I've sworn by Scotoilers for years, even on superbikes but they do tend to get the trickle of oil all over the back wheel, even when the remote reservoir is turned down.

What are you guys using? Any good ones which have minimal fling off?

Man of Honour
Gear oil is by far the best I've used. Brush on a tiny amount after each ride (or use a Tutoro oiler) and you have a perfect very thin layer all the time with minimal fling and absolutely zero stickiness. Any fling is not black and wipes off with a clean dry cloth, and doing this means you never need to clean your chain too.

It washes off immediately with rain though which is the biggest disadvantage, and you really do need to apply it regularly and in small amounts. On tours I bring a can of Castrol OR lube as it's the least sticky/gunky lube I've come across, but it doesn't hold a candle to gear oil as I need to clean the chain when using it.

Chain wax is the devil and if my new dealer uses it at service time I'll give them a slap! It takes ages to get that rubbish off.

Soldato
In the winter, when I ride (too bloody old now and I’ve become something I used to mock), I use Motul C2. From spring onwards I like to use a ptfe dry lube, such as Muc Off’s, though I have to lube more often.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Castro racing lube here. Spray on after every fill up or thereabouts. Has lasted a solid 8-10 months of riding so far

Soldato
61307996da0b7a44877e07b57bf23f6d.jpg

SDOC100 dry chain lube: (old chain, ignore the nastiness!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Castrol here too, used Wurth in the past too and Castrol is miles better.

I did used to use gear oil and it worked really well, but like Kreeeee said, rain just takes it away and considering I commute all year round in one of the wettest cities, it just wasn't going to work!

Soldato
I don't find any fling with the wd40 wax, lasts for ages as well.

After a week or so, same as you really. Lasts ages, no fling I've noticed (though I do have a chain guard). When I applied it, I let it dry, then gave it a soft wipe with a rag to take the excess off.. Maybe that was it? Dunno.

Back
Top Bottom