BMW and M Power Owners

Permabanned
That's the problem I'm having. Both are rare cars with those engines (or so i keep being told by local dealers) so both are difficult to get hold of for test drives.

Have a 340i, where are you in the country? :)

I expect the Focus St is a little more of a "performance car" than the 340i, which while is imo pretty good its not really a "performance car". :)

Permabanned
It's completely different dynamically to a normal focus, suspension is different, steering rack is different, gearbox is different, brakes are different, some interior parts are different. Much like a 3 series vs M3 or 5 series vs M5. They differ so much from each other it is nearly wrong to call an M3 a 3 series based car

Still a Focus... still FWD :p

Man of Honour
It's completely different dynamically to a normal focus, suspension is different, steering rack is different, gearbox is different, brakes are different, some interior parts are different. Much like a 3 series vs M3 or 5 series vs M5. They differ so much from each other it is nearly wrong to call an M3 a 3 series based car

It's a sporty Focus just like a 340i M Sport is a sporty 3 Series. The 340i M sport has different suspension and brakes to a 320d SE, too.

It's no Focus RS.

Associate
Have a 340i, where are you in the country? :)

I expect the Focus St is a little more of a "performance car" than the 340i, which while is imo pretty good its not really a "performance car". :)

Leeds.

That comment surprises me. I'm expecting the 340i to be at least as engaging to drive as the Focus and definitely to be much better screwed together :D

Permabanned
Ah, bit too far away, 180 miles! :p

Dont get me wrong its a decent drive, its fast, fairly well built and I love it but something holds me back from calling it a "performance car". Also the centre console bit where your left knee leans on creaks, which annoys the hell out of me. :)

Fair bit faster than an ST but I expect quite different drives and arguably the ST might be more fun/performance oriented.

Oh, didnt know they were bringing an M340i out, want!

Associate
Anyone elses 1 series got this 'normal' knocking sound?

M140i, 7500 miles:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/scjj72n5695KPoIq2

Took it into BMW and was told it's 'design related' and that it is normal (it was present when the car was new). When I asked the sales guy why the cars in the show room didn't knock he said something about the power steering fluid - I informed him they are electric racks.
My friends F30 with 80k on the clock doesn't knock and the steering feels much tighter around the central position.

Anyway I've re-booked it in to have a technician sit in the car with me as it's not only the knock but the car has started tram-lining more and the steering feels vague around the central position as well as a slight rumbling sensation from the steering wheel.

Guess I'm asking for some advice where to go next if BMW telling dealerships not to replace racks as I don't think a £39,000 car when new should have steering that knocks.

Soldato
Soldato
Have you tried a different dealer or is it a distance away? Sometimes it's just easier to go somewhere else than to have to deal with incompetent technicians

Associate
I had something very similar, knock at full lock and a slight rumbling when driving along. First dealer said it was the same for every f30, second dealer tech recognised it as a faulty steering rack so mine was replaced under warranty.

You don't happen to have the report from the dealer or any paper work from the replacement?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Thread needs more 1 series.

M5lssClh.jpg

I've given it a wash, but the weather has been too poor to properly attack it and do things like put on fresh number plates, so that's the best photo I've got for now.

It's a manual 130i in Le Mans Blue with a black leather interior and 104k on the clock. It's got an impressive spec list for a 1er including things like comfort access, xenon headlights, heated seats and professional audio.

There's a few little niggles that need to be sorted out:
  • Drivers door comfort access doesn't function (passenger side and boot are fine)
  • Drivers side headlight misted up
  • Roof paint is a bit messed up (a machine polish may get it back up to scratch here)
  • Wheels need a refurb
  • Bluetooth calls ceased to work (MULF2 module in boot probably needs a repair)
But other than that, it's got a great service record with a recent replacement water pump, and good life left on all consumables.

It's time to buy a house in the next month or so, so the 991 has to go to actually give me the cash back to act as a deposit. I'd intended to go for something like an E46 M3/E39 M5, but the more I looked the more I realised most of the examples out there were pretty bad and would end up as money pits. I drove a friends 130i and realised it was a huge amount of fun to drive whilst costing about 1/3 to 1/2 of a decent M3/M5, and that £10k could come in very handy for a house purchase. I'll see what the finances are like once everything is settled in but I've got to be honest, this thing is an absolute hoot to drive! :)

Soldato
That's a better spec that mine!

Yeah usually new number plates is the first thing I do, unless they're actually in good nick.

Machine polishing the whole car will bring up the paint very nicely.

Associate
Anyone elses 1 series got this 'normal' knocking sound?

M140i, 7500 miles:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/scjj72n5695KPoIq2

Took it into BMW and was told it's 'design related' and that it is normal (it was present when the car was new). When I asked the sales guy why the cars in the show room didn't knock he said something about the power steering fluid - I informed him they are electric racks.
My friends F30 with 80k on the clock doesn't knock and the steering feels much tighter around the central position.

Anyway I've re-booked it in to have a technician sit in the car with me as it's not only the knock but the car has started tram-lining more and the steering feels vague around the central position as well as a slight rumbling sensation from the steering wheel.

Guess I'm asking for some advice where to go next if BMW telling dealerships not to replace racks as I don't think a £39,000 car when new should have steering that knocks.

Copy and pasted from my thread on babybmw:

Well I just watched some dashcam footage that I have from the techs working on my car on the previous visit. Needless to say it'll be an interesting conversation on Tuesday when I take it back in.

Two techs get in the car and 1 wiggles the wheel and then asks, "is that normal? Theres obvious some play in it somewhere".

The other tech replies, "does sound a bit noisey dunnit, can feel it through the floor. Could be anything - the rack or the linkage".

They then proceed to tell me on collection that there's nothing wrong with the car...

Soldato
Interesting! I’ve heard people say they’ve had a replacement rack which cured it but then it returned soon after.

There’s an explanation on one of the Facebook groups that explains what’s happening, seen it about a month ago but I can’t remember the details.

Back
Top Bottom