Why G-SYNC?

Associate
Hi

Does anyone know why us nvidia fan boys with super powerful PCs need G-SYNC for stutter free gameplay when the xbox one s/x does not yet appear to be silky smooth on regular TVs?

I am struggling to justify the price hike for G-SYNC monitors when maybe a normal 4k 32" monitor/TV for my 1080ti and Ryzen 1700x will do.

Soldato
Because wellw pay it regardless haha

Don't forget they are a piece of hardware program and built to perform a specific task, your pc is prob doing tens of tasks in the background which has nothing related to gaming . Any of these can trigger slow downs etc etc . That's the way I think of it for PC Vs console

Permabanned
Because wellw pay it regardless haha

Don't forget they are a piece of hardware program and built to perform a specific task, your pc is prob doing tens of tasks in the background which has nothing related to gaming . Any of these can trigger slow downs etc etc . That's the way I think of it for PC Vs console

You've just proved that PCs actually DO need as many physical processors as possible. The myth of quad-core or hexa-core enough for gaming busted :D

Seriously, you need more cores for the backgrounds processes, and some fixed number of cores for gaming alone ;)

Man of Honour
if your minmum fps is well above the monitor's refresh rate, gsync is pointless.
would be nice with a 1060, but not really with a 1080ti (unless it's 4k g-sync)

Soldato
You've just proved that PCs actually DO need as many physical processors as possible. The myth of quad-core or hexa-core enough for gaming busted :D

Seriously, you need more cores for the backgrounds processes, and some fixed number of cores for gaming alone ;)

Not really as 90% of tasks and running programs use 4 cores at most , normally just loads first two cores as they aren't built for multithreads .
Also background tasks use ram and disk drive so regardless of how many cores you have, then can still cause hang ups .
Every day in the office my PC is crippled by backups at 10am and no amount of cores till do anything about that .... New IT team might though :D

Man of Honour
Hi

Does anyone know why us nvidia fan boys with super powerful PCs need G-SYNC for stutter free gameplay when the xbox one s/x does not yet appear to be silky smooth on regular TVs?

I am struggling to justify the price hike for G-SYNC monitors when maybe a normal 4k 32" monitor/TV for my 1080ti and Ryzen 1700x will do.

Most games on console are engineered to run at either 30fps or 60fps as much of the time as possible which allows them to be tied into the refresh rate and generally with a controller the latency from V-Sync is less noticeable than with keyboard and mouse - if you tried to translate that to the PC you'd get very smooth rendering but for many people a noticeable delay in input. When a game on console doesn't adhere to those requirements it is very noticeable in terms of stutter, etc.

G-Sync can't work miracles but it does tend to take a lot of the sting out of framerate drops and means you don't have to make the compromise between screen tearing and low latency. With the larger range of possible hardware and other variables it is far harder to engineer a game on the PC to run within stringent performance parameters so things like G-Sync can be really useful.

if your minmum fps is well above the monitor's refresh rate, gsync is pointless.
would be nice with a 1060, but not really with a 1080ti (unless it's 4k g-sync)

I find in a lot of cases even in that scenario the best blend of smoothness, no tearing and low latency often comes from capping framerate just below the max refresh rate and using G-Sync.

Permabanned
Not really as 90% of tasks and running programs use 4 cores at most , normally just loads first two cores as they aren't built for multithreads .
Also background tasks use ram and disk drive so regardless of how many cores you have, then can still cause hang ups .
Every day in the office my PC is crippled by backups at 10am and no amount of cores till do anything about that .... New IT team might though :D

Can't you connect every specific application to the core(s) which you would like that application to use?
For example - you have a Ryzen 7 with sixteen threads - 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.
Threads from 0 to 7 go only for the current game in progress.
Threads from 8 to 11 go only for video decoding, streaming or another software that is relatively heavy and needs to run while gaming.
Threads from 12 to 15 go only for everything else - internet connectivity, Skype, downloads, Windows, Office, etc.

Man of Honour
I find in a lot of cases even in that scenario the best blend of smoothness, no tearing and low latency often comes from capping framerate just below the max refresh rate and using G-Sync.
My eyes must be getting old then lol. With 75hz panel and uncapped fps, I struggle to see any screen tear. I guess everyone is different, but gsync with a 1080ti certainly wouldn't benefit me...:D

D3K

D3K

Soldato
My eyes must be getting old then lol. With 75hz panel and uncapped fps, I struggle to see any screen tear. I guess everyone is different, but gsync with a 1080ti certainly wouldn't benefit me...:D
If I haven't capped my framerate, and I'm idling in a place with little to draw (orbiter in warframe for example) then the framerate goes into the 300s. I often see tearing in those situations, but do have to look for it.
Hi

If your game has been rolling along at 144Hz and then suddenly drops to mid-60's it is likely going to be a bumpy ride til it gets back up. G-sync smooths that out and makes it less jarring. I guess it's hard to relate to the issue when your maximum framerate is below that minimum, especially when less than half that minimum (30fps) is generally accepted amongst your peers as the norm.

Associate
At the moment things like games are being designed on older engines that just don't make use of multicore processors so well. We have seen how core scaling works well up to 6 cores but beyond that the drop off is significant.

Intel have acknowledged themselves that the trend for higher core counts is going to continue and they intend to bring 8 core cpus to market very soon.

It's up to the game developers now to produce games that can make better use of all these cores, but parallelising the workload is no easy task. It basically needs to be done from the ground up.

Again Intel have told us the benefits of increased core counts in games. It will allow for better in game AI, weather effects, rendering processes as well has having extra headroom for background tasks.

Going back to G Sync/Freesync. It's great. My old G Sync display died and I replaced it with a budget 1440p display at the time. I've had buyers remorse ever since. Some people are just more sensitive to artifacts and screen tearing than others. I think part of that is being an enthusiast we tend to just look for it more, like when you buy a new car and suddenly notice them on the road all the time. Screen tearing irritates me and I can't abide it. I'd rather take a latency hit and use V-Sync than have screen tearing.

Permabanned
It's up to the game developers now to produce games that can make better use of all these cores, but parallelising the workload is no easy task. It basically needs to be done from the ground up.

It is an easy task, actually :D Just tell them to use the idling cores for additional compute - physics, AI, etc :D

Back
Top Bottom