University at 23

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
I did uni when I was 32! I also had a g/f who did a uni course.

It basically works the same except she because it's household income she only has to declare her own income and that of a partner if she's living with them. I ended up getting a small grant and loan.

I think I had to prove that I had been 'financially independent' of my parents. Which basically involved producing enough pay slips to demonstrate that I'd been in a job paying tax for 3 years.

It might be worth posting over on TheStudentRoom forums, there's a mature students section where you'll get up to date advice.
Thanks mate

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I did uni when I was 32! I also had a g/f who did a uni course.

It basically works the same except she because it's household income she only has to declare her own income and that of a partner if she's living with them. I ended up getting a small grant and loan.

I think I had to prove that I had been 'financially independent' of my parents. Which basically involved producing enough pay slips to demonstrate that I'd been in a job paying tax for 3 years.

It might be worth posting over on TheStudentRoom forums, there's a mature students section where you'll get up to date advice.

FYI - there are no maintenance grants anymore, just maintenance loans (i.e. you have to pay the loans back where as you didn't have to pay the grant back). The overall amount you get is still the same though.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
FYI - there are no maintenance grants anymore, just maintenance loans (i.e. you have to pay the loans back where as you didn't have to pay the grant back). The overall amount you get is still the same though.

So if you sign on the dole you get dole...but if you go to uni you get a loan !!!

Caporegime
So if you sign on the dole you get dole...but if you go to uni you get a loan !!!

you sign up to job seekers allowance if you're actively seeking work... it is kind of implied in the name, if on the other hand you choose to pursue full time study you're not making yourself available for work (other than perhaps part time or holiday work)

Associate
I went at 23 as a mature student paid for by local council. They paid the fees but I had to get loans for living costs and such. Mind this was 18 years ago mind

Soldato
I went at 27, got both the grant and maintenance loan. Finished last year. Has it changed since then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom