i7 8700K sanity check

Soldato
Hi Guys,
I have just built a system for a mate, the above cpu is under an EK supreme running through a 360 rad with 3x120mm fans. Case temps and airflow are good.
With room temp at 20 deg, cpu idle is 26, but running P95 (max heat small ftt) after 1/2 hr cpu is reaching 75.
This is all at stock, with it "only" turbo-ing to 4.3 for some reason.
This seemed a little high to me, but then its my first dabble into coffee lake, how would you say it sounds ?
Benchmarks like 3DM and Unigene run the cpu @ 4.7 no problem and cpu temps seem to be ~60 deg on those.

It does seem we got a poor clocker, but that's another thread !

Associate
It would be 4.3 on stock if all the cores are running. Those temps do seem a little high, but I have limited experience with the 8700K. It seems like a very variable CPU mwhen it comes to heat. When I run the cpu I have here at 100% it barely even warms up. With an idle of 25 degrees, it reaches 53 degrees at 100%. Using similar cooling to you. That's a very, very large difference. One I can't account for.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seems about right, they hit 100+ on good air with Prime! I think gaming he should get 45/50, which imo is more than acceptable (and should get a good clock out of it).

Mine with a D15 hits 50/55c during gaming (delidded), which I'm more than happy with :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.
OK, well I am not about to de-lid a friends £300 CPU :p
I have ordered some new thermal paste (Grizzly Kryonaut) as my old Artic Silver had been sitting around for a few years so may not be helping, got nothing to lose by trying !
It does sound like these are hotter than the older Intels like mine, some obviously as it has more cores and some due to the intel toothpaste !
I could only get a potential 4.8ghz out of all 6 cores with 1.25v ... I didn't like the temps pushing more volts and #12 worker is the weak one according to prime, otherwise the others were looking promising for 5ghz.
Once prime pushes to 80 deg C I get nervous :o
Gaming (or gaming benchies) are running it 4.7 (stock turbo) at around 60, so unless I can reign in those temps, I see little point in clocking, reliability is the #1 priority.

Caporegime
just do what you normally do with it and use those temps.most oof the benchmarks are stupid and will never be close to what you will actually use the cpu at.

Back
Top Bottom