BMW Warranty

Soldato
I had a similar experience, initially the online warranty site wouldn’t give me a quote and then when it did it was higher then the figure I had seen being bandied around. Waited for a letter but then with 3 weeks to go I emailed their warranty services and they gave me my much lower quote.

Caporegime
I had a similar experience, initially the online warranty site wouldn’t give me a quote and then when it did it was higher then the figure I had seen being bandied around. Waited for a letter but then with 3 weeks to go I emailed their warranty services and they gave me my much lower quote.
Good to know, how much lower out of interest?

Associate
So, after an initial excellent experience with BMW warranty with regards to replacing the alternator on my 320d, I have now experienced issues whilst trying to claim for another issue.
The alternator was causing I-drive issues and loss of electric assisted steering (which was quite frightening). Alternator was undervolting, but on my was back from London, the dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree and I had to stop.
Quick call the BMW emergency assist and the guy was with me within an hour. Did all his checks, said it would be ok to drive home at "sensible speeds" (only 30 miles left).
He followed with to Stratstone Derby, where it was booked in and repaired within 48hrs. (replacement alternator)
The BMW emergency technician said I should get the clutch looked at under warranty as there is quite bad vibration whilst on tickover and noticably worse when the clutch pedal is depressed. He said probably the bearing in the dual mass flywheel was buggered, allowing oil onto the clutch plates. He said, it is quite a common problem.
Stratstone said that it would cost £430 to drop the gearbox to inspect and that if it was clutch wear, it wouldn't be covered.
I haven't booked it back in as of yet.
Car has covered 56k with at least 40k of that being motorway mileage.

Caporegime
So, after an initial excellent experience with BMW warranty with regards to replacing the alternator on my 320d, I have now experienced issues whilst trying to claim for another issue.
The alternator was causing I-drive issues and loss of electric assisted steering (which was quite frightening). Alternator was undervolting, but on my was back from London, the dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree and I had to stop.
Quick call the BMW emergency assist and the guy was with me within an hour. Did all his checks, said it would be ok to drive home at "sensible speeds" (only 30 miles left).
He followed with to Stratstone Derby, where it was booked in and repaired within 48hrs. (replacement alternator)
The BMW emergency technician said I should get the clutch looked at under warranty as there is quite bad vibration whilst on tickover and noticably worse when the clutch pedal is depressed. He said probably the bearing in the dual mass flywheel was buggered, allowing oil onto the clutch plates. He said, it is quite a common problem.
Stratstone said that it would cost £430 to drop the gearbox to inspect and that if it was clutch wear, it wouldn't be covered.
I haven't booked it back in as of yet.
Car has covered 56k with at least 40k of that being motorway mileage.
Given the technician’s advice and the relatively low mileage I’d have thought that would be warranty (and would expect it tbh!) you’d have to be pretty ham fisted to kill it in that sort of mileage imo.

I’d be making a stink with the service manager, this isn’t something you’ve been advised by some random, it’s been advised by a BMW technician and I’d expect them to agree with him!

Some interesting things for me to note re asking about how good their warranty is, I’m going to Stratstone Derby on Saturday to negotiate with my partner on a prospective 118d for her.....

Soldato
I’ve had varying degrees of success with getting warranty work done. Was working in Leicester last year so booked it in there to have a look at interior squeaks and rattles, idrive resetting randomly, the front door locks not always opening and the stop/start was really rough amoungst other things. They kept the car for 2 days and did nothin except to update the idrive, with all other faults it was a case of the tech can find nothing wrong.

Booked it into a garage near me down south and the experience was so different, they identified all and resolved and found other problems which they claimed and repaired under warranty. My car is now completely squeak free, the door locks were changed and they updated the cars firmware which has made a huge difference with the stop/start. They also found a problem with the front suspension and the ac which they fixed.

I think the hourly rates that can be claimed for warranty work is much lower than their standard hourly rates so some garages don’t like doing warranty work.

Associate
The car now has quite a severe rumble when the clutch is at the biting point.
Their is no issue with pulling off, but you can feel it through the pedal (like a grinding feel)
The gearstick really vibrates when sat in idle, to the point that it moves your hand when you hold it.
I work down south, so may pop it into the dealership in Maidenhead to see their views on it.

Soldato
Thought I'd add my recent knowledge. For extended warranty... Paying monthly does not lock your monthly cost at all. BMW reserve the right to immediately change your monthly premium and write to you and give you 30days to continue or decline, however on an Annual payment, any price hike only occur on renewal. Annual is the most effective way as you are saving quite a bit over the 12 single payments, but of course you can cancel that at any time.

I've had this direct from BMW Warranty Sales.

Soldato
Thought I'd add my recent knowledge. For extended warranty... Paying monthly does not lock your monthly cost at all. BMW reserve the right to immediately change your monthly premium and write to you and give you 30days to continue or decline, however on an Annual payment, any price hike only occur on renewal. Annual is the most effective way as you are saving quite a bit over the 12 single payments, but of course you can cancel that at any time.

I've had this direct from BMW Warranty Sales.

Correct, but in practice the annual premium only increases with inflation each year, which is far less than the jump you'd otherwise get at 60K. Mine's gone up £3 per month since I first took it out 2 years ago.

Soldato
Correct, but in practice the annual premium only increases with inflation each year, which is far less than the jump you'd otherwise get at 60K. Mine's gone up £3 per month since I first took it out 2 years ago.
I phoned them today to see if there was any negotiation on price considering BNP paribas are charging £300 for a year. No dice.
Interesting.

Soldato
I phoned them today to see if there was any negotiation on price considering BNP paribas are charging £300 for a year. No dice.
Interesting.

They don't budge on price, but if you're currently out of warranty and go for an annual policy, there'll be a discount on renewal. That other warranty provider likely won't cover even half of what the BMW offering does, it will come with a load of extra hassle come claim time though.

Soldato
Mine runs out on my 2015 X5 40d, currently on 81k miles; crapping myself at how much it's going to cost but will pay it regardless. It's already paid out about £3k in (unnecessary) repairs to the suspension.

Soldato
Just put in a random 2017 plate X5 40d and 80k miles and the insured warranty site spat out 2.5k for fully comp warranty with £100 excess for the year.

Christ!

At that price I would go without and just have a slush fund for a year. That's only 1k off a McLaren warranty price for a year.........

Soldato
I'm hoping it will be a bit less as it's been covered since day 1 but we'll see. I only intend on keeping it till April 2022 so for a year I might just stomach the cost.

Soldato
I'm hoping it will be a bit less as it's been covered since day 1 but we'll see. I only intend on keeping it till April 2022 so for a year I might just stomach the cost.

Yep, I hope you can get a deal. I had no idea it was that crazy.

I know Fox, truly mental. Either get it gone or keep a kitty in the bank.

Oh, I know it's probably been asked before, but if you have an AUC with 2yrs warranty (from BMW Main Dealer), do you know if it's requirement to get it serviced by the dealer. I've looked at the 'Insured Warranty' Docs online and it doesn't say it has to be the main dealer. Might need to get the official docs for our car first before deciding which way to go.

The dealer offered us a 2yr service plan for just under £1k and in said quote said the F15 X5 40d was a 4 cylinder and that even though IDrive says an oil service is due in 07.2021/4500 miles, that their system says our next service is 2022..........Muppets.

Back
Top Bottom