Sony PS5/Next out before end of 2018?

Associate
Captain of the rumour mill, Charlie over at SA, has an article up relating to the next Sony console, the PS5/Next.

Dev Kits are already out apparently in great numbers, which means launch titles will be in development as we speak.

Specs are a little bit smoke and mirrors but he suggests a Zen based APU with Navi graphics are the basis for this new machine.

If true, this could be a seriously powerful machine but will all depend on the accuracy of the rumours and the spec of those parts.

Also bodes well for the PC if Navi is going into a PS console as it means the silicon is close to completion.

Caporegime
Hope so. Despite the feeling that this generation hasn't really hit its stride yet, I'm eager to get new hardware so hopefully we can put to bed the weaksauce 30fps CPU-bound games. Either Sony or Microsoft should mandate 4K60 for everything.

Soldato
The X1X is running Far Cry 5 at 4K30. I don't see why a better CPU/GPU can't exceed that. :)

It can, but they generally won't spend that extra resource on frame rate they'll instead spend it on increasing the graphical effects along with the complexity and scope of the open world.

If you want high frame rates across the board you need to build a PC.

Associate
I would be surprised if it was before late 2019. The PS4 is still selling v well, and there's some big titles in development to be relased for it next year (Days Gone, TLOU2?).

Caporegime
It can, but they generally won't spend that extra resource on frame rate they'll instead spend it on increasing the graphical effects along with the complexity and scope of the open world.

If you want high frame rates across the board you need to build a PC.

Well I'll keep hoping that they'll target 60fps (and if they don't manage to keep a lock on it, use the VRR FreeSync 2 of HDMI 2.1 to smooth things out). PC will be required if you want 60fps+ like 120fps or 144fps.

Soldato
I don't think we will see next gen systems till at least 2020/2021/

there are still many years left in current gen. especially with the newer more powerful mid gen systems.

Soldato
No - it will not.
Site throw as much crap at the wall as possible "It will be out tomorrow, it will be out at the end of the year, it will be out in 2019, it will be out in 2021" and then, once announced they will tell you how "in the know" they are, forgetting conveniently all the times they were wrong.
I am confident that we will not see a PS5 before 2020.
Does it bother me if it appeared tomorrow? No - because unless it had full PS4 compatibility for both digital and physical games, I wouldn't purchase until 2+ years in.

Caporegime
2019/early 2020

They usually aim for a christmas launch and usually try and make it worldwide on the same day. However they have staggered them and made them 1-3 months apart too.

I would say november 2019 or november 2020 would be the aim.

They will only push it to Q1 if they can't get enough stock for a november launch date worldwide and probably screw over the EU market. they will then launch in the US and Japan in november with a january date for EU.

This year? Absolutely zero chance of that

Soldato
They usually aim for a christmas launch and usually try and make it worldwide on the same day. However they have staggered them and made them 1-3 months apart too.

I would say november 2019 or november 2020 would be the aim.

They will only push it to Q1 if they can't get enough stock for a november launch date worldwide and probably screw over the EU market. they will then launch in the US and Japan in november with a january date for EU.

This year? Absolutely zero chance of that

I’d be amazed if they actually released in Japan before the EU tbh.

But I agree, we might get some mutterings this e3 but it’s unlikely. 2019/2020 is more like it.

Back
Top Bottom