Anti-Semitism and Racism

Soldato
OP
Well apart from that. I don't really understand why a different word a different term is used exclusively for Jewish people.

Not that I have a problem with the term. Just curious..

Soldato
Well apart from that. I don't really understand why a different word a different term is used exclusively for Jewish people.

Not that I have a problem with the term. Just curious..
There's a quite extensive Wikipedia article regarding the origin and evolution of the term and its usage that might satisfy your curiosity.

Permabanned
It's religion-specific, like Islamophobia. The problem is these terms are used too often for minor things, so I for one don't take them seriously anymore. Boy who cried wolf, basically.

Capodecina
Soldato
SEMITE - A member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.

SEMITES - A member of a group of people originally of southwestern Asia that includes Jews and Arabs.

Presumably this excludes Palestinians - because Palestine never existed.

Soldato
surely isn't it the difference between sectarianism and racism

one's against a religion, the other is against an ethnicity

whilst it could be argued that due to strong links between religions and ethnicity on the whole the 2 do overlap somewhat, there's still a difference.

if we take 2 jews- a white american jew and an israeli jew, the anti semite would hate both but the racist would only hate the israeli.

unless it's a racist anti-semite, in which case he hates both of them but he'd really hate the israeli

perhaps the more pertinent question (or at least the one i've always pondered) is what exactly did the jews do historically that garnered all the hate they get? it's not like the current crop of hate against the "west" which is understandable given our collective history of rocking up in other peoples countries and taking them over.

Does anti-Semitism mean being anti-Jewish? If so, I think being sectarian (against religions) should suffice. I don't have a great opinion on religion myself either as I've been bulled in the workplace by religious folks who share similar values to the UKIP. Sure there are good religious folks out there too. It's just that I think religion should be a 16+ / 18+ lifestyle choice because it is easily abused. Like drinking and gambling.

The word racism is over-used (along with misogamy).

Soldato
perhaps the more pertinent question (or at least the one i've always pondered) is what exactly did the jews do historically that garnered all the hate they get? it's not like the current crop of hate against the "west" which is understandable given our collective history of rocking up in other peoples countries and taking them over.

You only have to read the opening couple of books of the old testament to appreciate the start of the persecutions.

Ultimately, whether you believe in the religions or not, the Jewish people have been persecuted to biblical proportions for thousands of years and inline with their prophecies.

This then creates a considerable problem.

Whilst many governments and individuals clearly don't believe in their religion or the existance of God, it's pretty difficult to refute the evidence of their persecution. Thus the broad adoption and acceptance of the anti-Semitism definition.

Capodecina
Soldato
It seems that a number of "Lords", including the charming and consistently patient, tolerant and polite Lord Sugar, have reported anti-Semitic abuse on FB pages backing Jeremy Corbyn to the Met.

One can only assume that the FB posters learned their tolerance and good manners whilst watching The Apprentice.

Caporegime
It seems that a number of "Lords", including the charming and consistently patient, tolerant and polite Lord Sugar, have reported anti-Semitic abuse on FB pages backing Jeremy Corbyn to the Met.

One can only assume that the FB posters learned their tolerance and good manners whilst watching The Apprentice.

Why was Lord Sugar racist or antisemitic towards anyone on that show? Or are you conflating being rude/outspoken with being outright racist/antisemitic?

It is no wonder there is such a problem in Labour if supports conflate things like that.

Back
Top Bottom