• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Soldato
I've managed to hold off getting a 1080ti, i game at 1440 and I#m hoping the next round of GPU's will max everything out at that res.

Well there or there abouts anyway

I’m with you man, I believe (and hope!) the next gen ti will finally deliver what I want for the next couple of years.

Caporegime
Bitter? Nah. Resigned and sad, yes.

I have accepted the reality that no matter how high prices get, the usual suspects here will say it's "just fine", and we should put up or shut up. We'd be having exactly the same "discussion" with those price I put forward. People here would literally rush to defend a 2060 at £450.

It's gotten to the point now where people are saying, "Be happy for what you've got, nobody needs more power!"

It's those people I feel completely detached from. The people who say "We don't want/need more. We're happy for perf to stagnate. We're happy for prices to rise. We can still afford it."

Associate
...the upgrade itch is burning me hard and I want high frame rate, high resolution, frame sync technology, but it’s going to cost.

I got that itch too, don't get me wrong, and i don't even like what I'm typing, but my observation is on the state of the whole GPU market. My personal preference doesn't come into it, just my opinion that in the last couple of years the market is saying there is no mainstream demand for 4K yet, same with high end VR. Add in DRAM under supply and the bloody crypto miners who accounted for around 20% of GPU revenue last year and It really looks like the next gen of cards has no real incentive to use its limited resources to make massive performance leaps to enable everyone to get 4K gaming @60 fps. So, imo, a 1080ti is likely still going to be up at the top end of those game fps benchmark charts we all see well into 2020, with maybe just one or two new cards beating it by any significant margin (including AMD's next offering).

I'm just blurting out what I see and am interested in others views. Back when the 10 series was due to come out, i was saying complete opposite with the advent of VR and that pascal die shrink.

(P.S. I'll be getting whatever Nvidia release by the end of the year, assuming its under a grand!)

Soldato
Bitter? Nah. Resigned and sad, yes.

I have accepted the reality that no matter how high prices get, the usual suspects here will say it's "just fine", and we should put up or shut up. We'd be having exactly the same "discussion" with those price I put forward. People here would literally rush to defend a 2060 at £450.

It's gotten to the point now where people are saying, "Be happy for what you've got, nobody needs more power!"

It's those people I feel completely detached from. The people who say "We don't want/need more. We're happy for perf to stagnate. We're happy for prices to rise. We can still afford it."

I think its more about just accepting it, rather than been happy with it. Obviously I would love to be able to buy a 1070 for £250 or a 1080ti for £500, but in the real world that now seems extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
To me the higher end cards have gone up and will almost never go back to lower prices. I bought my 7990 in 2012 with a 650w PSU in a bundle for £299 (good deal at the time). The 290x came out and was trading just under £400 from release, these were good performance cards. I later RMA'd the 7990 and recevied a 290x.

In todays market, to upgrade from a 290x your looking at a 1070 or better. However its pricing is then adjusted to £449+ for an upgrade, and only a Ti would be a proper upgrade IMO (which is £500+). Someone pointed out the £ falling in one of these threads and that is an important factor in why harware costs went up. The higher end gaming cards are now sitting at just below a grand, whereas I think it used to be more like £500 would have been the previous ceiling. So thats basically doubled and nVidia/AMD have adjsuted their ranges to keep it that way.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I got that itch too, don't get me wrong, and i don't even like what I'm typing, but my observation is on the state of the whole GPU market. My personal preference doesn't come into it, just my opinion that in the last couple of years the market is saying there is no mainstream demand for 4K yet, same with high end VR. Add in DRAM under supply and the bloody crypto miners who accounted for around 20% of GPU revenue last year and It really looks like the next gen of cards has no real incentive to use its limited resources to make massive performance leaps to enable everyone to get 4K gaming @60 fps. So, imo, a 1080ti is likely still going to be up at the top end of those game fps benchmark charts we all see well into 2020, with maybe just one or two new cards beating it by any significant margin (including AMD's next offering).

I'm just blurting out what I see and am interested in others views. Back when the 10 series was due to come out, i was saying complete opposite with the advent of VR and that pascal die shrink.

(P.S. I'll be getting whatever Nvidia release by the end of the year, assuming its under a grand!)

I wouldn’t say there’s no demand for 4K PC gaming. It’s used as a selling point for the current crop of consoles and most people buying a new TV these days are likely to end up with a 4K set.

I used to play PC exclusively on monitors but I took a break from PC gaming and since coming back I’ve only played on the TV.

We know Nvidia and AMD have been plugging their own sync-tech for monitors but lots of people play from the sofa these days. Maybe fewer on this forum due to its nature but it’s pretty widespread.

More grunt for a better 4K experience is something I’ve wanted ever since getting a 4K TV.

Soldato
I think its more about just accepting it, rather than been happy with it. Obviously I would love to be able to buy a 1070 for £250 or a 1080ti for £500, but in the real world that now seems extremely unlikely to ever happen.
I agree

Same as fuel prices I used to pay under 50p per ltr of petrol but can't see that happening again...or 33p for packet of cigs

Some thing just seem to go crazy up in price and never back down to what they were :mad:

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you accept it and keep buying, at the inflated prices, then you effectively tell the vendors you're happy with that price.

It doesn't matter if you then post here how angry/sad you are that you had to spend £500 for an 1170. If you actually went out and bought an 1170 for £500, then you were "happy" with that price. That's what you told nVidia with your purchase.

Associate
I wouldn’t say there’s no demand for 4K PC gaming. It’s used as a selling point for the current crop of consoles and most people buying a new TV these days are likely to end up with a 4K set.

You will like this - lets all thank the Chinese for pushing this as i never knew till now!

"Dataxis expects 4K televsion sales in Europe to rapidly continue growing, but nonetheless the 4K TV market in all Europe remains far away from China, which is the world’s single largest market for 4K TVs, gaining even over all of North America in terms of how many models have been shipped to consumers year-over-year.

More than 25 million 4K TV have been sold in China in 2016 and Dataxis estimates that 40% of TV shipments were 4K for the first quarter of 2017 against 33% for year 2016,” according to the report.

"The standardization of 4K screens made by the manufacturers and the growing worldwide selection of 4k content show that 4K sales are bound to rise everywhere in the coming years. The total 4K technology market was valued at $18.1 Billion in 2014 is estimated to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 21.8% to reach $102.1 Billion by 2020."

http://4k.com/news/4k-tv-sales-will-expand-to-17-million-units-shipped-by-the-end-of-2017-20229/

so maybe mainstream 4k is on its way for 2020. Wonder if this makes Nvidia eager to roll out more 4k capable gaming cards now, or hold back a generation for more impact when 4k is seen as the norm by your average punter?

Soldato
If you accept it and keep buying, at the inflated prices, then you effectively tell the vendors you're happy with that price.

It doesn't matter if you then post here how angry/sad you are that you had to spend £500 for an 1170. If you actually went out and bought an 1170 for £500, then you were "happy" with that price. That's what you told nVidia with your purchase.

Yep, specifically why I held off buying the 1080ti.

Associate
ah, it's that time of the year again. This time I will be watching, but not buying. My beautiful 1080 still does a marvelous job and if it blows up, I still have my 970 which can still do the job. Not upgrading whatever the prices are :)

I'd be keen to see what Nvidia and AMD come up with this time around, only from a nerd perspective though :)

Back
Top Bottom