• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much does your graphics card really cost?

Associate
Interesting way to calculate the cost of hardware, I paid £480 for my 1080 founders edition back in august 2016, so about £25ish a month.

Soldato
Are we forgetting to add the cost of actually using the card aswell? I wouldn't know how to work it out but it's still a cost.

So if you never sell a card on and keep it forever it ends up costing you 1p per month. This isn't something that's going to catch on lol.

About 2p per hour.

Soldato
How is turning something into a monthly cost make it any better?

Same trick used for getting people to pay £1k for phones.

Caporegime

You could justify everything if you do this. It's not a sensible way to work out costs.

Though I do it with bikes, oh it's actually only £10 a ride so it's cheaper than renting. Yeah sure here take my money :D

Soldato
I'm back to using my trusty 5850 since my 290X died after just a year. Bought from OCUK for £115 almost 7 years to the day which works out at around £1.60 PM if I remove the year I used the 290X.

You don't want to know how much money you could have made with that via mining XD

Soldato

Everyone has a different way of looking at whatever. I game now more than I used to, but i also used to drink/club more and do paintballing and airsoft, overall my monthly costs now are lower, but i tend to get a higher rated GPU than I used to. (560ti and 670 to Titan and 980ti then 1080ti)

I can justify to myself going from a 560ti to a 1080ti because the cost per hour and cost saving of not going out on the lash 4-6 times a month more than makes up for it (and my liver is probably thanking me too).

I also now sell before launch and buy on release day as I get the best return / least cost upgrade too.

Soldato
Seriously?

My hardware has been a real plus in my marriage. I used to go out drinking with mates a lot and spending a lot of hard earned money on booze. Now the Mrs (married for 24 years) is well happy, as I am home and my PC costs far less than what I have spent on beer.
I spend too much time on my computer apparently :( it's why i'm probs not as active on these forums as i used to be. Could have been worse, it could have been consoles lol.

Soldato
Well it doesn’t but surely you see the benefit in evaluating a product’s probable lifetime and resale cost in your decision making?

Soldato
I spend too much time on my computer apparently :( it's why i'm probs not as active on these forums as i used to be. Could have been worse, it could have been consoles lol.

Sorry to hear that man.

I don’t play as much these days, purely for that reason. If I was single I’d spend considerably more on it.

Sold one of my 980s for £40 less than I bought it for, got about 18 months out of it so £2.22 a month. The other is about 3 years I think so about £13 a month. Total cost of my 980 SLI setup was £15.22. Bargain.

Loved my rig since day one.

Back
Top Bottom