Icarus avenger 180 simpit gaming. Buyers beware. Avoid.

Associate
OP
That looks great. I know nothing of projectors, how dark a room do they need to make for a nice viewing? Would be great to see how clear text can be displayed - I wonder if this would be usable as a work desk for coding and browsing?

Did you go for the MDF kit? How much is shipping costing you?

i went for the icarus avenger 180 in plain mdf. including simwarp software
and including shipping was £900 then 1.5k for projectors. will be making my own desk to sit inside the screen ;)
if you get the benq 1080st+ can be used in ambient light no problem as there very bright and with using the black pearl screen.

Soldato
Hiya you can use ati software to upscale to 6400x1800 the text is really sharp.
when mine arrives will do some recording on my dji osmo in 4k to show the projection quality.
someone built a stage 3 with the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2iZEbiAJOM
POV video looks pretty good.
Image still looks blurred/stretched, seems a nice project if you are into sim games.

Setting it all up looks pretty interesting, the guys use of lasers looks pretty advanced.

HR4

HR4

Associate
What came to my mind was, bendy FDF board, a good quality screen paint (black) and the warping software.
Its really only the software that's important here. The rest is easily built and fairly cheaply.

Associate
What came to my mind was, bendy FDF board, a good quality screen paint (black) and the warping software.
Its really only the software that's important here. The rest is easily built and fairly cheaply.

A good screen isn't cheap, just black paint will not have the same effect. There really are only 2 suitable for the job, black diamond and black pearl and as my previous post was deleted for self promotion despite answering many questions I guess you'll just have to google me or talk to DazBoots to find our site.

HR4

HR4

Associate
A good screen isn't cheap, just black paint will not have the same effect. There really are only 2 suitable for the job, black diamond and black pearl and as my previous post was deleted for self promotion despite answering many questions I guess you'll just have to google me or talk to DazBoots to find our site.

I know which paints are suitable. ;)

Associate
Dazboots;29079585 said:
Getting ready to purchase the simpit unit in the next couple of weeks.
will be a Icarus Avenger 180 and Desk and Warping software.
Getting my good M8 Deblow to Fully wrap in Carbon.
will be the Icarus Avenger Desk And 2 Short Throw projectors Benq1080st+
Will post when complete.
Link here to what im getting.
website its coming from www.simpit.co.nz

link to the same unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQGOanO_0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrMBEM4dj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRJuG_ZaOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OKKRjRyaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0OFuiTCHns

Hi, I have just come across this and was wondering what your thoughts are a year on about the simpit and if it was worth the money, how easy it was to set up etc.

I might be looking to get one myself in the near future.

Caporegime
Dazboots;29080807 said:
had oculus dk2 and got gear vr. you can only play vr for a while and would not be able to sit with it on your head for 5 hours straight. need to see keyboard to help with most games.

I beg to differ about using VR (CV1) for 5 hours straight. I have done some real long sessions on ED with it and no probs but in fairness, that setup looks amazeballs and pretty epic. Plenty of pics when you get it fella and I am a bit jelly :)

Edit:

Doh!!! Just seen the date of the OP :D Did you get it OP?

Associate
just waiting for the knock off cheap vr headsets.
i mean it cant cost that much to produce 2 tiny 1080 screens for vr can it!

also something something,
they will hack into oculus and vive software and jack it.

but damn im jelly esp Assetto damn

Associate
OP
I would like to update my review from 2 years ago.
My old Icarus avenger got broken up due to house move.
On January 15th I purchased another unit.
Because I purchased one before got free delivery and upgraded to Black mdf.
After 2 weeks of paying I emailed him about delivery to be told all his stock was on hold due to dhl overcharging.
I then asked for a refund 3 times and he would not. Then I put a PayPal dispute in for a refund due to thinking I was not going to receive one.
Then got email from dhl that it was going to be picked up. He told me it was sent to airport can I stop the dispute.
Went to PayPal and was going to cancel dispute but it said if any problems happen I won’t be covered if I cancel.
So I left the PayPal open till delivery. Funny thing was it was picked up a week after then sent to airport. So 3 weeks later it was on its way.
Then get a msg from simpit technologies that because I put a dispute in he has lost 10.0000 nzd to other customers lost his goods and they got a refund. This is not my fault.
Item gets delivered and I stop PayPal claim and msg him.
Only to build it and find no instructions on how to build it or new projection mounts. Loads of screws missing and had to msg him again.
6 pieces of wood that hold the projectors was missing. He said he sent out the 6 pieces only a month later still not here.
I made a temp fitting until they arrive, but if they fail 2 grand of projectors would be gone. He said he would send another set of wood out.
By this time I was getting a bit annoyed. This is just short of 3 months still don’t have a fully working unit. He doesn’t care about customer service and kept saying because it’s free
Delivery I’ll have to wait as long as it takes. So I have given up on this. He has since moved from PayPal and only does bank transfer. Please anyone considering buying from him I would have second thoughts. I’m not the only one who has had enough. I will not recommend.
2 years ago his customer service was amazing. Now it’s not great. Takes ages to reply to emails. Reads them and does not reply. Have to ask same questions over and over.
If he knows your going to buy one he will be very quick on responding. Soon as you have one no so much.

Back
Top Bottom