Sound has suddenly stopped

Associate
Hi all,

I noticed a few months ago that my sound suddenly stopped working. I have really old speakers but they have always been fine. They still get power but the pc doesnt seem to recognise them now?

Have i had an update that could have stopped them working on windows 10?

Associate
OP
As far as i can remember it just looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack with a light purple surround. I havent had time to look properly as im working all weekend. From memory it used to plug into the top central hole of six on the motherboard. It was fine until not so long ago.

Soldato
Anything can happen with automatic "improvements" of Wintoys 10...

And analog speakers aren't detected by Windows in any way unliek USB things with their own sound card.
It's case front panel headphone connector which can detect something being connected.
Anyway it's green connector which outputs (front) left and right channel signal.

Also you can use any 3,5mm connector audio source (like phone) to check if speakers themselves are capable ot making sound.

Associate
So glad im still on windows 7 had the chance few months ago to upgrade but thought again'st it and glad i did with seeing so many people have issues with Audio especially Schiit users

Associate
OP
Finally tested the speakers and they do work with other things like my phone so no idea why my computer has stopped working with them?

Associate
You've probably got another device set as default. right click the little speaker icon bottom right in task bar, select playback devices, find your audio device (ie, Realtek <make sure you don't pick the digital out>) and right click it and set it as the default device.

If that doesn't work a driver update from your motherboard mfg's website might do the trick.

Associate
OP
For anyone with the same predicament I have sorted the problem.

Turns out I needed to do a repair/reinstall on windows 10. I used this link
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...YAp8QFggsMAE&usg=AOvVaw3i3fcoqtZylbSwfMVZWxTw

It was very simple but took a bit of time to do all the installation. I tried deleting everything realtek and reinstalling from the msi website but that had no effect so my last option seemed like a clean install of windows but luckily I could do this and keep everything as it was without having to clean install.

Hope this can help someone else with this problem.

Soldato
My sound stopped working after this latest big Win10 update but that wasn't unexpected. The Creative drivers for my Titanium HD have always been **** and I've had to rely on 3rd party drivers for a long time :/ I just reinstalled drivers and it's working again.

Back
Top Bottom