Recommendation for new modem/router?

Associate
Hi,

I currently have a Huawei HG635 router from TalkTalk.
TalkTalk are my ISP, and I am on a 76Mb fibre service with them.

Its pretty old - I think it first came out in 2015, and I'm getting a few connection problems as well as limited firmware functionality issues with it.

I was looking for replacements such as the Asus RT-AC86U, but then read that this is just the router component without a modem like the HG635 has built in.

Which models are popular that have the modem and router functionality in one unit?
I connect approx 10-15 wireless devices, plus about 8 wired to it.

Thanks for any pointers.

Floob.

Soldato
If that's your preference there is a dsl-ac88u which includes the modem so a one box solution. Asus routers with Merlin firmware are top notch even if a few years old themselves.

You could always get a modem separate or see if that Hauwei has a modem only mode

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip. Good to know even the older Asus have a good reputation and can use merlin firmware.
I'll check that model out.

I think the Huawei does have a modem only mode, but I just dont trust the device anymore.

Soldato
What firmware functionality issues would you like to resolve?

And when you say connection issues are we talking WiFi or the VDSL connection?

Associate
OP
@bremen1874 Yep, I just had a look and it does seem that merlin is just for RT models. Although as the Asus firmware seems streets ahead of the built in Huawei TalkTalk models, I think it'll be fine.

@BigT I would really like the ability to view the data transfer usage, as well as set device access by MAC.
The connection issues are really poor performance when trying to service multiple wireless devices, I feel as though it struggles to send data sometimes - no hard facts on it, but I get the impression an updated router may improve performance. Wireless devices (PCs with ac cards) about 3 walls away get about 20Mb down with the router connecting at 70Mb, the local PC connected by Cat5 get abouts 60Mb down.

Soldato
So if you want to view overall data usage I’ve seen that on consumer routers but if you want to see usage by device I think you’re going to struggle. In real-time I can do that with Ntopng on pfSense but I don’t think I’ve seen it on anything else. Ubiquiti Access points log historical bandwidth per device which may be enough for you and also solve your second problem.....

The lower WiFi speed through three walls is only going to be fixed by taking the walls out of the equation. You can do that by running a cable from your router to somewhere more central in the house or nearer those PCs and hang an Access Point off it, a solution often recommended on here, with Ubiquiti being a solid cost effective choice.

If you can’t run cables anywhere then a mesh system is the next best, albeit expensive, thing.

With both those solutions you can turn the wireless off on your router which may lighten its load enough that you see improved routing performance to fix your last problem of it ‘feeling’ like it’s struggling. If it doesn’t you’ve not wasted any money and can introduce a high performing cheap router as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom