Type R and VTEC owners

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yeah I used to be able to stuff a fullice hockey kit bag in the boot, suitcase had to go in passenger footwell with sticks in the cabin but it all went in :)

Associate
Personally I like to see pictures of the interior too. You've only got wide-angled shots and no close ups either (especially of the damage).

Considering the bodywork damage and no paperwork for the engine change (so effectively very high mileage) and the bonnet issues, your price is probably on the high side too.

[Edit] and you paid £2000 less than that price when you bought it last year :p cheeky bugger

Yeah interior pics are coming once I've given the inside a proper clean too, was supposed to be this weekend but hasn't happened :)

Even ignoring the engine change, it's still the cheapest facelift about and wouldn't be all that badly priced for 126k in fairness. Engine has actually done ~70-80k miles, but without the email trails/invoices it basically has to be considered as 126k miles.

I did pay less, but in January rather than spring and I've spent a bit on it too - price it's worth now isn't relative to what I paid :) Plus I had to chance it unseen on eBay :D

All in I want to see £7k for it and it'd be a pretty darn good car for £7k imo :)

Soldato
I melted my bumper a little the other week after much 2nd/3rd gear usage on a small track.

JjKj57j.jpg

eINpWJq.png

It's not massively obvious but the exhaust pipe stops short about 1-2cm from the beginning of the bumper exhaust outlet.

Do we reckon if I get the exhaust lengthened so that it fits half-way in the exhaust outlet then that would be enough to stop it melting the bumper again? Thought that might introduce some rattle back there if it's not solid enough!
Or should it be cut back a bit and replaced with a thicker exhaust towards the end?

Exhausts aren't really in my area of knowledge so... thoughts / suggestions?
Thought I'd see what you chaps think before I bother taking it somewhere :)

It's a 3" single exit TDI North with the screamer pipe routed to it so I'd rather not change to a twin exit (which surely would stop this re-occurring) where I can help it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exhaust tip needs to be longer so it properly extends further into the metal bumper insert.

Some form of reflective heat shielding on the inside of the bumper would not go amiss either, something like the Zircoflex stuff that actually works, not just shiny tape.

Soldato
Exhaust tip needs to be longer so it properly extends further into the metal bumper insert.

Some form of reflective heat shielding on the inside of the bumper would not go amiss either, something like the Zircoflex stuff that actually works, not just shiny tape.

Cheers Will, glad to know my train of thought isn't massively off then.

The dangers of Curborough :p

Associate
Civic Mk8 (2006) - Looks like my coolant sensor needs changing. Can anyone recommend a brand?

Also, I think I read somewhere these Civic's have two? Is that correct?

Bit of back story as to how I've come to the above conclusion, in case anyone has any further advice/ wisdom/ knowledge to impart:

A month or so ago I had the EML come on, booked into a local garage and in their words "it's showing 2 faults, one is the lambda sensor, the other is the coolant system". I didn't ask to see the codes, although I wish I had. As it wasn't clear exactly which code it was, and the car showed no symptoms, code was cleared just to see how it went. Day after next the EML came back on. Given that the coolant level was fine, engine wasn't overheating, and the fan was working, I assumed it was the lambda. Left it a few days and the EML went off of its own accord.

Fast forward to last week, EML comes back on, my assumption is that it will be one of the same codes again. This time however the fan is running a lot, even from cold on some days. Again, look in radiator cap, coolant full. Ergo, probably the temp. sensor. EML has now gone off again, however the fan seems to still be running a lot.

Associate
Possible replacements for a DC5? Owned it for 3 years, previously done ATR, DC2 and an S2000. Only thing that seems to remotely interest me is other old Jap motors and perhaps the possibility of a GT86 / BRZ. If I was to go the 86 route I think I'd have to mod it and go for a supercharger, current DC5 is running around 240bhp and think moving to 200 in the 86 would be a bit of of a come down.

Maybe I should just keep the DC5. I can't make my mind up.

Sorry should add the only reason I'm contemplating selling the DC5 is due to availability of some parts. I'm at the point when I'm either considering selling or spending a fair whack on it getting full anti rust treatment and getting the whole front end sprayed.

Last edited:
Associate
Have contemplated them but values are really strong and looking at 15k plus, then cost of light mods, for a similar price i could pick up a charged GT86. I don't know if the FD2 is worth near enough double the price of my existing DC5? Then again maybe the GT86 isn't either? Ahh who knows, I'm continially going round in circles with the whole thing.

Also getting a wee bit tired of old rusty Honda's.

Man of Honour
OP
FD2 is much better than a DC5 out of the box. My heavily modded DC5 wasn't much different than my near standard FD2 when I first got it.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Whichever route you go down, shout if/when you sell it. I keep getting tempted to buy another DC5 as I miss my last one! :D

If it were me I wouldn't be moving to an FD2 from a good DC5 that's had useful mods and geo work done, not for the cost of changing. Charged GT86 sounds like good fun though...

Associate
FD2 is much better than a DC5 out of the box. My heavily modded DC5 wasn't much different than my near standard FD2 when I first got it.

My DC5 has a load of suspension mods, remap, mugen twin loop, tegiwa carbon filter and all that so I don't think the FD2 makes much sense for me. I don't doubt it's a fantastic car though. Just don't think it's worth the cost over my already sorted DC5.

Will do bJN, I'll probably still be arguing with myself this time next year. Not many cars really interest me these days. I just love old Jap stuff. Think the GT86 would be a right hoot and it's got the added bonus of being new Jap stuff.

Man of Honour
OP
My DC5 has a load of suspension mods, remap, mugen twin loop, tegiwa carbon filter and all that so I don't think the FD2 makes much sense for me. I don't doubt it's a fantastic car though. Just don't think it's worth the cost over my already sorted DC5.
My DC5 had B16 coilovers, big brake kit, plated diff, shorter FD, Mugen intake, DC race header, RM01A exhaust, map etc etc. Standard FD2 is better (with the exception of my uprated diff and brakes). By the time you sell your mods it's not going to cost twice as much to upgrade.

Everything is better bar the outside looks and perhaps seating position.

I was lucky to own both for a month and drove them back to back.

Back
Top Bottom