Crazy running-in recommendations for new bike

Soldato
According to the manual, I cannot exceed 6,000 RPM for the first 1,000 KMs. Then from 1,000KMs to 2,500 KMs I cannot exceed 7,000 RPM. The bike revs to 12,000.

During the whole running-in period, the maintenance and service rules recommended in the Warranty Card should be observed carefully. Failure to follow these instructions releases Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A from any liability whatsoever for any engine damage or shorter engine life.

I've probably gone slightly over 6,000 but only marginally. Due it's first service, no doubt the telemetry will be recorded.

Is this reasonable? Not sure what run-in mileage is like for other bikes.

It's taken me 6 months to notch up 800 KMs! Still, that has been due to bad weather.

Man of Honour
If you want the best mpg, performance and the least oil burn you shouldn't run the bike in like that.

Those recommendations are set like that to catch problems before they develop into a catastrophic failure, but they don't seal the surfaces very well.

Caporegime
If you want the best mpg, performance and the least oil burn you shouldn't run the bike in like that.

Those recommendations are set like that to catch problems before they develop into a catastrophic failure, but they don't seal the surfaces very well.

I've done a TON of research in to this (well, studied other peoples' research) back when I was a kid running in RC car engines and again when I was a teenager running in a new top end on my scooter every other week and the best results seemed to be to heat cycle the engine quickly. Run the engine gently until at operating temperature, then hoon the nuts off of it, then run it gently for a few mins to cool it down a bit, then stop. Leave it for a while to completely cool off, and do it again. Do this repeatedly for two to three tanks of fuel and it should be good.

(don't do this please, this is purely my own conclusion so I take no responsibility for your lovely Ducati engine going pop :p)

Man of Honour
The most important thing is to never sit at one rpm for any length of time. Motorway journeys or excessive idling are terrible for new engines.

Soldato
For the first 600 miles on the R1 i took it slow but tried to use the rev range as much as possible, after 600 miles i absolutely hammered it to 1000, changed the oil again for Fully synthetic and i've hammered it ever since, makes very strong numbers on the dyno and not had any issues.

Soldato
Had numerous new cars and bikes . Always thrashed them from new .. never had an issue . There is a lot of info online but seems to 50/50 on whats best but as long as you dont abuse it or let it labor in a high gear then i think personally you can use all the rev range once warm

Soldato
OP
It's the warranty bit that bothers me (especially as it's a Ducati and I'll probably need that at some point!). Or am I reading that bit wrong? Based on current usage it will be about 3 years before I can rag it! :o:eek:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Another vote for hard break in, I did a bit of research when I was considering buying a new bike and it seems like the way to go. :)

Soldato
OP
I spoke to my Ducati dealer this morning as I've missed the 6 month service date by a couple of weeks. Although, despite the service card stating 6 months or 1,000 KM (whichever comes first) the dealer said just do the 1K then bring it in. I asked about the running-in and he re-affirmed the importance of keeping it below 6,000 RPM for the first 1,000KM but I can be flexible between 1,000KM and 2,500KM. I.e. I won't have to ride it like Miss Daisy and keeping it below the recommended 7,000 RPM.

Said something about the engine components having to bed-in, and something about seals. I really should pay more attention.

Soldato
Owned 3 new bikes and 2 new cars (car and truck). Bikes have been run in hard, get it to temp and let it rip. Even hit the rev limiter on the way home with the R6 and R1. Car and truck were driven how I wanted to.

Not a single drop of oil gets used in any of them.

Wouldn't worry about it, it's mainly for brake pads, tires, making sure it doesn't fall apart etc

Soldato
The most important thing is to never sit at one rpm for any length of time. Motorway journeys or excessive idling are terrible for new engines.

Unfortunately the day after I got my SV my great uncle went into hospital in Birmingham. Funnily enough I didn't give a **** about engine sitting at 6k rpm all the way down :( He recovered and was all fine afterwards :)

To actually add something to the thread, with said SV other than this journey i had like up to 7k rpm for the first 500 miles, then up to 9k to 750 miles, then red line after 1000 miles. I generally waited for it to warm up and would ride it generally within the 'running in procedure' though with the odd run up to the limiter to bed it in properly.

Man of Honour
It's the warranty bit that bothers me (especially as it's a Ducati and I'll probably need that at some point!). Or am I reading that bit wrong? Based on current usage it will be about 3 years before I can rag it! :o:eek:

Ducati have an excellent reliability record these days.

Soldato
Get the next 200k done in a day when it's nice, get the 1st service out the way, then book yourself a nice 4 day trip and you'll have the next 1500km done in no time! :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Unfortunately the day after I got my SV my great uncle went into hospital in Birmingham. Funnily enough I didn't give a **** about engine sitting at 6k rpm all the way down :( He recovered and was all fine afterwards :)

To actually add something to the thread, with said SV other than this journey i had like up to 7k rpm for the first 500 miles, then up to 9k to 750 miles, then red line after 1000 miles. I generally waited for it to warm up and would ride it generally within the 'running in procedure' though with the odd run up to the limiter to bed it in properly.
There's no point in redlining the SV, its better to just change up a gear when you want to hoon it. The juice runs out just after 9.5k, I use to upshift just before 10k, closer to 9.5k.

Man of Honour
There's no point in redlining the SV, its better to just change up a gear when you want to hoon it. The juice runs out just after 9.5k, I use to upshift just before 10k, closer to 9.5k.

10,200 is the max engine rpm on the FI SV650s iirc. I found 6-8k rpm had the best torque response on mine.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
10,200 is the max engine rpm on the FI SV650s iirc. I found 6-8k rpm had the best torque response on mine.
With my straight through exhaust and modified airbox I found it lost a little down low and gained a bit more at the top. On the SV group most people that race these, say there's no point in revving higher than 9-9,5k rpm

Soldato
OP
Ducati have an excellent reliability record these days.
Good to know. The amount of times (pretty much every time really) I get 'Ducati eh, will spend more time in the garage' etc etc.
By the way I always let it run for a few mins after starting it. I usually wait for the temp to change from the word 'Low' to actually registering a temp which is usually in the 40s. 40 what though I have no idea sitting here. Would have to check to see if F or C.

Never do motorways (rarely A roads). As it's a weekend bike it's nearly always twisty countryside routes.

Back
Top Bottom