What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
I think the Thor films have gotten progressively worse.

First one was decent, second one average, third one poor. Far too many silly gags per minute in the third one for me.

I guess I'm just getting a little fed up with endless super hero / marvel films now.

I agree. I didn't get the hype with the third one, felt out of place.

Soldato
I think the Thor films have gotten progressively worse.

First one was decent, second one average, third one poor. Far too many silly gags per minute in the third one for me.

I guess I'm just getting a little fed up with endless super hero / marvel films now.
I liked both the first and second - but still haven't seen this third one.

I'm concerned I won't like it based on these reviews because the first two while a little lighthearted were reasonably serious and it worked. If 3 is anything like GotG (which I didn't enjoy despite it being hyped up so much), and making a mockery of the setting then I doubt I'd enjoy it either.

Associate
I actually enjoyed a lot of Thor, but came out of it concerned that Marvel/Disney had seen the success of Guardians of the Galaxy and decided to apply the same formula to its other films. Korg was the highlight of that film for me.

Yes, Korg was the big win for me. Otherwise, yeah, I prefer dry understated humour to 'look here, it's a gag, chortle chortle lol' stuff so the film itself was meh for me.

(NB: I'm not suggesting that Korg is representative of dry, understated humour - just that that's what I like outside of this sort of film).

Soldato
Thor Ragnarok 5/10 (And that's me being generous)

Worst Thor film yet. What is with these films trying to cram in as many dumb gags per minute as possible these days?

A few of them made us snigger, but most fell flat and just made the film seem forced and silly.

Not a good film.

Agree with this. I think it would have been a spectacular movie if they kept the same tone as the first two movies. Trying to turn into a Guardian of the Galaxy/Deadpool type movie just ruined it. The gags would have been so much funnier if there was less of them and the movie was a little more serious.

I really liked the first two movies.

Soldato
I liked both the first and second - but still haven't seen this third one.

I'm concerned I won't like it based on these reviews because the first two while a little lighthearted were reasonably serious and it worked. If 3 is anything like GotG (which I didn't enjoy despite it being hyped up so much), and making a mockery of the setting then I doubt I'd enjoy it either.

I don't think you will enjoy the third one then. It was basically guardians of the galaxy crossed with Thor. Totally different feel to the first two.

Associate
Valerian - 5/10 (now available on Netflix)

Some good moments, cartoonish aesthetic is quite nice. I felt that the story was a bit baggy and the main lad was super annoying. Thought Cara was decent although her accent was a bit patchy.

Caporegime
Isle of dogs 8/10

I loved the start, it's bloody weird as you would expect from the director but I personally lost interest in the middle a bit. Nice ending.

Not a kid's film at all even with PG rating it will just go over their heads. We had kids in our showing. Stupid parents....

Soldato
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - classic late 80's time travel cheese with a very young Keanu Reeves. It truly was most bodacious. Maybe I'm biased as I loved it when it came out but 5/5

Coincidental - that was the same day I decided to introduce my kids to Bill and Ted. I loved seeing it again after all these years. Kids commented that the special effects were terrible, but enjoyed it at least enough to ask when we can watch the sequel, so I take that as a success!

Soldato
Coincidental - that was the same day I decided to introduce my kids to Bill and Ted. I loved seeing it again after all these years. Kids commented that the special effects were terrible, but enjoyed it at least enough to ask when we can watch the sequel, so I take that as a success!

Might be watching that myself very soon. My kids laughed more during Bill and Ted than a lot of modern films. You don't need special effects!

Associate
Rampage (2018) - 4/10

A mindless action film with a simple and predictable plot, cliché characters, passable acting and destructive action scenes.

The monster effects are great and the scenes with the ape at the beginning are really good, but it could have done with more humour – played straight, it’s not as entertaining or fun as it could have been, ending up flat and boring at times.

Soldato
Get Out - 6/10.

Not quite sure where the Oscar nominations for this came from. It's alright, enjoyable enough but nothing special. If they are dishing out Oscar nominations for slightly silly 'horror' films these days, then Tucker & Dale vs Evil should have won every award going when it was released as it's a far superior and fun film.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Shape of Water - 6.5/10

Suppressed all expectations given the oscar, but was still left a bit disappointed. Nice cast and good acting, nice cinematography, all round decent film, but very forgettable.

Soldato
Star Wars - The Last Jedi. It honestly wasn't that bad, just a tad over long. Would rate 3.5/5.0. Obviously not a patch on Ep IV - VI but better than Phantom Menace (no po-faced pontificating and no comedy relief Jar Jar) and way better than Clone Wars.

Friday night - Ferdinand. Quite funny in places but very sanitized and watered down for the kiddies view of bull fighting and the culture surrounding it. Again, 3.5/5.0.

Back
Top Bottom