Crazy running-in recommendations for new bike

Man of Honour
No need to let it sit in fact most people would say don't. Start it and go, ride it gently until up to temp.

It makes me twitch when people idle to warm up a bike. Many parts don't warm up unless you're moving.

Start it and ride immediately, but take it easy for the first few minutes.

Soldato
Good to know. The amount of times (pretty much every time really) I get 'Ducati eh, will spend more time in the garage' etc etc.
By the way I always let it run for a few mins after starting it. I usually wait for the temp to change from the word 'Low' to actually registering a temp which is usually in the 40s. 40 what though I have no idea sitting here. Would have to check to see if F or C.

Never do motorways (rarely A roads). As it's a weekend bike it's nearly always twisty countryside routes.
It's Celsius - 80-90 Fahrenheit which is most bikes operating temperature (in C), would be 30 Celsius, which is nothing.

Oh and as others have said, turn on, ride. Only in very cold weather might you need to give it 30 seconds of idling, otherwise just ride it slow for the first few minutes - it'll warm up in less than a few miles.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

“Take it easy on new tyres and let the bike warm up first”, are the exact words that the dealer told me when I picked up my new bike.

As long as you aren’t hitting the Rev limiter when the engine temp is below the ideal range then I can’t see an issue. To be honest you’d struggle to do that legally anyway, unless you’re screwing the bike on an A road or motorway which you really don’t want to be doing from new.

To;dr Ride normally but consider warm up.

Soldato
OP
“Take it easy on new tyres and let the bike warm up first”, are the exact words that the dealer told me when I picked up my new bike.

Exactly that. Thing is, since being told I’m like Rainman when I first start it up, mentally reciting what the dealer had told me and not daring to deviate.

Where the rev limit is concerned, the manual hints telemetry is recorded and they will know if I’ve gone over which will (not might, will!) void the warranty on the engine.

Sources online say for the first 1KM the redline occurs at 6 but I’ve never seen it light up.

Anyway. From today I’m going to be a little more adventurous. On the bike, of course. Sod it.

Man of Honour
Exactly that. Thing is, since being told I’m like Rainman when I first start it up, mentally reciting what the dealer had told me and not daring to deviate.

The dealers have to echo the manufacturer's advice, which is just done from a warranty point of view and not with any thought towards getting the optimal power/economy from the engine. They'd prefer a minor failure that they can potentially fix rather than a catastrophic failure.

Back
Top Bottom