Hardline fittings: incredibly tight?

Soldato
Hi all, first post as I've opened an account ages ago but still busy putting together my first WC build!

I'm using Alphacool hardline fittings (Eiszapfen 16mm) and the same brand frosted acrylic tubing. The fittings have double o-rings, one in the fitting and one under the lock collar. I'm finding it ridiculously hard to fit the tubing into the internal o-rings.

I've managed to get them in with *extreme* force outside of the PC, with twisting. By heavily bevelling the tubing and wetting it, I've managed to install one or two into the PC but there are areas I simply can't apply that much force, like on the GPU block.

Am I missing something? When they're in, they're a great fit so I don't think they're supposed to simply sit against that o-ring, though I have my suspicions.

I've got lots of experience with wood and metal work, so I feel like I know how much force is too much and I'm really not sure it'd be safe to continue.

Soldato
OP
I made a lot of progress yesterday - it seems like one fitting in particular has some moulding marks on the o-ring. All the others I can get tubing into with (very firm) but controlled force.

I'll try changing the fitting on that connection and see if that helps.

At least I'll be confident the tubing won't be going anywhere once installed!

Soldato
I made a lot of progress yesterday - it seems like one fitting in particular has some moulding marks on the o-ring. All the others I can get tubing into with (very firm) but controlled force.

I'll try changing the fitting on that connection and see if that helps.

At least I'll be confident the tubing won't be going anywhere once installed!

Did you chamfer the tubing you cut? You should... also just take some distilled water or fluid and wet a clean finger in it and run it round the o-rings before you fit, much easier.

Chamfer though, too much force without it you might be damaging the seals.

Soldato
OP
Yep, I've tried going to the extreme of a huge chamfer and rounding its edge off afterwards, then smoothing it.

I'll try changing the fitting tonight because all the others with moderate chamfers go in tight, but consistently.

Back
Top Bottom