*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Personally I find the Playbar very good for what it is. If you utilize the Sonos system, i.e. stream music to rooms, then the Playbar makes sense to buy. Sound wise, in my opinion, it is very capable. I find it very good on highs and mids and okay on lows. The surround aspect of things is also surprisingly very good, either with or without the Play 1s (although with is obviously much better).

If you won't be using the Sonos App for the Playbar it might make sense to buy something else which can do the same job sound wise but cheaper.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I'm not shy of saying I'm very pleased with my playbase setup, with two play1s. Once tuned using the iOS app it's ace. Sure, it's not as good as a dedicated separates system but to get what I want I'd be paying a lot more and have a much bulkier system.

It would have been nice for the playbase to have an HDMI input, but with an HDMI switch with optical out I'm getting 5.1 across all my devices. That's attached the back of my screen tidily all controlled by my harmony remote.

The playbar (my mate has that setup) maybe has slightly less bass but it still sounds great IMO.

Associate
Which threw me when I switched from an iPhone to a Pixel2 and realised it was an iOS only feature :o

Always had Android phones. When Trueplay first came out, it wasn't applicable to the Playbar. Few months later missus wanted a tablet, and Trueplay was available on the Playbar/5.1 surround, so made the decision of getting an iPad very easy :p

Soldato
That's true I could always return it.

What gets me is, surely it is due a refresh and I just know I will buy one and a new one will be released shortly after :o

I'm going to go to Richer sounds at the weekend and at least have a listen and see what I think. I've been really impressed with my Play Ones in stereo and I would love to have everything in the house Sonos so I can stream to everywhere so I do like the idea of their soundbar in some respects just not in all.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Give it a listen but make sure if you do it's positioned as you would be using it and been set up with trueplay. The difference is night and day once set up, especially if you've added the play1s. Like @ChrisD. said, why not just get it on the 100 day and if you don't like it/it doesn't live up to expectations they refund you and provide the postage.

One thing to note, with the playbar the sub does add quite a bit more, the playbase has a little more depth without the sub. So if you aren't adding the sub I would suggest checking out the base over the bar.

Caporegime
That's true I could always return it.

What gets me is, surely it is due a refresh and I just know I will buy one and a new one will be released shortly after :o

I'm going to go to Richer sounds at the weekend and at least have a listen and see what I think. I've been really impressed with my Play Ones in stereo and I would love to have everything in the house Sonos so I can stream to everywhere so I do like the idea of their soundbar in some respects just not in all.

We’ve all been expecting a Soundbar refresh for years but the Soundbase came out last year with absolutely no new features. I’m not sure a refresh will be any time soon based on that. Unless it’s mostly cosmetic anyway.

Soldato
I
Give it a listen but make sure if you do it's positioned as you would be using it and been set up with trueplay. The difference is night and day once set up, especially if you've added the play1s. Like @ChrisD. said, why not just get it on the 100 day and if you don't like it/it doesn't live up to expectations they refund you and provide the postage.

One thing to note, with the playbar the sub does add quite a bit more, the playbase has a little more depth without the sub. So if you aren't adding the sub I would suggest checking out the base over the bar.

I will do that and see how I get on. Thanks for all the advice peeps.

Associate
Sounds daft but is there any benefit of having the playbar and play 1s and putting he play 1 next to it sort of thing? My bed is against the back wall and my tv is facing me so not sure where I could put play 1 for surround it’s a small bedroom

Man of Honour
Sounds daft but is there any benefit of having the playbar and play 1s and putting he play 1 next to it sort of thing? My bed is against the back wall and my tv is facing me so not sure where I could put play 1 for surround it’s a small bedroom
Mine are mounted on the wall about 1.5-2 feet either side of the bed, works well enough.

Associate
Thanks Chris, my room is small to be fair

I have a double bed against the right side wall and the tv is mounted at the end of it with the play bar ..

So essentially because I am in the corner is have to have the play 1 either side of my bed to be in front of the playbar and tv? Would it work or would it be too close together you think?

Associate
Question for Playbar owners here. I have a play bar connected to a Panasonic ex700 TV. When watching netflix using TV app most the time 5.1 works fine, just sometimes theres no sound and I have to go to audio within the netflix app and choose the stereo audio. Generally I hadn't noticed a pattern, it only seemed to happen with stuff the kids wanted to watch so haven't given it much thought. Yesterday however I watched s1ep2 of Stranger things, 5.1 worked great, then moved onto s1ep3 and no sound ?.
The issue could be one of three things, the TV app, the netflix content audio or the Playbar. Logically you would assume the content audio was different, but I can't verify that, however the Sonos App shows 5.1 so it makes me think its receiving the signal but just not playing the sound, ie the Playbar is the problem ?

Anyone else had anything like this ?

Back
Top Bottom