Help and advice please

Associate
Hello

Im new to the forum and desperate for some advice please, im looking to buy or build my first gaming pc but have no idea where to start

obviously i want the games to play at high specs and run perfectly, the kind of games i want to play would be the arma series , star citizen etc and most new releases at a high spec easily

is there anything on here that you recommend to buy, just a bit nervous about building one myself

i appreciate that this question has been asked many times before and i am reading through the forum but just wanted to start my own thread and introduce myself

any help and advice would be very much appreciated

thank you
kain

Associate
Hello

Im new to the forum and desperate for some advice please, im looking to buy or build my first gaming pc but have no idea where to start

obviously i want the games to play at high specs and run perfectly, the kind of games i want to play would be the arma series , star citizen etc and most new releases at a high spec easily

is there anything on here that you recommend to buy, just a bit nervous about building one myself

i appreciate that this question has been asked many times before and i am reading through the forum but just wanted to start my own thread and introduce myself

any help and advice would be very much appreciated

thank you
kain
Hi, what's your budget for the build?

Soldato
as above , as well as do you have a monitor , if so what is it/res/max hz ?

youtube is a very good source of info for self building :D

and dont worry about creating a thread, everyones needs are slightly different :D

Associate
OP
hello

i would like to stay under £1200 if possible as it is my first gaming pc but if i need to spend a little extra i don't mind

i do not have a monitor yet as i am not sure when i will be getting the pc, would you be able to recommend me a few goods ones to check out
i will also be having a look on YouTube for different builds and general info

cheers
kain

Soldato
hello

i would like to stay under £1200 if possible as it is my first gaming pc but if i need to spend a little extra i don't mind

i do not have a monitor yet as i am not sure when i will be getting the pc, would you be able to recommend me a few goods ones to check out
i will also be having a look on YouTube for different builds and general info

cheers
kain

just to make a list, would the monitor be included in the £1200 budget or separate ? monitors can range from £100 to £1000 with different res and specs. easier to know if it is/isn't included to build a system that can perform and drive a given monitor

Associate
OP
just to make a list, would the monitor be included in the £1200 budget or separate ? monitors can range from £100 to £1000 with different res and specs. easier to know if it is/isn't included to build a system that can perform and drive a given monitor

The monitor would be separate, i would like to keep the monitor under £450 if its possible

Soldato
im ok with just plug and play, maybe learn to overclock in the future

non K intel CPU and board- means no overclocking but just drop in and go. i5 8400 has the edge over amd ryzen 1600 even when overclocked for PURE gaming.

Though id wait for Ryzen+ and reviews on ryzen 5 2600 to see if it out performs intel

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,197.47 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
OP

thank you, i appreciate your help
do you recommend that i continue to look at some other options or would i just get similar builds

Associate
Do some reading up on intel vs amd to see if you prefer one or the other, that will probably be your main differentiating factor. As Orbital has already mentioned Intel has the edge for solely gaming purposes still, however AMD are bringing some interesting options along too. Be aware that a large chunk of the costs will go on a graphics card (more than usually would) due to the prices. Also there is a new gen of Nvidia cards supposedly on the horizon so could be worth waiting on those.

Soldato
thank you, i appreciate your help
do you recommend that i continue to look at some other options or would i just get similar builds

Everyone has each to their own , I spec'd for max GPU power and Intel chip that's fine for your average gamer with no need to overclock .

Hopefukly some other list other versions .and screens ! They'll be much better at screen the .me.
Also, on the 19th, should have some recommended ryzen specs or, previous ryzen core to keep costs down if performance isn't justifiable for the extra cash etc

I've selected Gigabyte for rep support and RMA based in UK . GPU was one of the cheapest with 3 year warranty and just under gtx 1080 performance so will drive 165hz 1080p monitor or 60hz+ 1440p monitor

Associate
OP
Do some reading up on intel vs amd to see if you prefer one or the other, that will probably be your main differentiating factor. As Orbital has already mentioned Intel has the edge for solely gaming purposes still, however AMD are bringing some interesting options along too. Be aware that a large chunk of the costs will go on a graphics card (more than usually would) due to the prices. Also there is a new gen of Nvidia cards supposedly on the horizon so could be worth waiting on those.

ok will read into it
thanks

Associate
OP
Everyone has each to their own , I spec'd for max GPU power and Intel chip that's fine for your average gamer with no need to overclock .

Hopefukly some other list other versions .and screens ! They'll be much better at screen the .me.
Also, on the 19th, should have some recommended ryzen specs or, previous ryzen core to keep costs down if performance isn't justifiable for the extra cash etc

I've selected Gigabyte for rep support and RMA based in UK . GPU was one of the cheapest with 3 year warranty and just under gtx 1080 performance so will drive 165hz 1080p monitor or 60hz+ 1440p monitor

thank you for your time, i will continue to look around and hopefully have one by the end of the week

kain

Associate
OP

hello
i was just wondering how much of a difference an intel core i7-8700k 3.7GHz would make to this build instead of the i5-8400 2.8GHz
would the extra cost be worth it or is there another processor that would improve it that is in the £250 to £300 price range

Soldato
hello
i was just wondering how much of a difference an intel core i7-8700k 3.7GHz would make to this build instead of the i5-8400 2.8GHz
would the extra cost be worth it or is there another processor that would improve it that is in the £250 to £300 price range

Depends what your doing, the 8700 and 8700k will always be stronger due to to factors , speed and thread count .
Some older games don't use lots of threads for 2-4 cores as speed is what counts and recent RTS games will use all the cores that count over few fast ones .

Depends also on your resolution and GPU, gaming at 1080p is more CPU bound and if your running a flagship card to push one of the leading 240hz 1080p screens, you need a rip fast core like the 8700k overclocked .

If your just into gaming and don't want every bit of edge leading performance then non K chips will be fine . Also along with ryzen chips .

Associate
hello
If you did get an 8700k, you'd need to spend £50 more on motherboard and atleast £50 more on cooling too. Performance gains would depend on which games and workloads you run.

i7-8700 could be a decent compromise, although you may need to spend £10-£15 more on cooling for that. But you do get a more 'future-proof' CPU with double the thread-count.

Soldato
Ah yes, cooking the 8700k or cooling it.. how ever you look at it haha

8700 Vs 2700

Total: £517.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

I'm looking forward to this shoot out, B360 Vs B450 board. 2700 OC + 3400/3600hz ram Vs 8700 MCE + 2666hz
Pure Gaming , BF1, GTA5 and other titles that take advantage of core speed and thread count :D

Associate
Ah yes, cooking the 8700k or cooling it.. how ever you look at it haha

8700 Vs 2700

Total: £517.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I'm looking forward to this shoot out, B360 Vs B450 board. 2700 OC + 3400/3600hz ram Vs 8700 MCE + 2666hz
Pure Gaming , BF1, GTA5 and other titles that take advantage of core speed and thread count :D

Any ideas when we can expect the comparisons to start coming out?

Soldato
19th 2pm, or guessing 1pm if some countries jump the gun a little (china/russia) though if anyone has the 2700 chipset will be hard to see.
one place has the 2600 and already released data - but not to accurate as different memory has been used with intel so not a direct head to head

Back
Top Bottom