2 Frying pans in 4 months...Spec me a new Frying pan!

Soldato
We bought a 'Jamie Oliver by Tefal Hard Anodised Frying Pan' as our day-to-day upon many recommendations on here (and the rest of the net). I have to say it's superb. However we're very careful with it, and only use it for 'everyday' stuff such as pasta sauces, green curries etc. We have a selection of Le Creuset pans for searing big hunks of meat as above, and a cast-iron griddle for steak etc.

Man of Honour
what where they and how on earth do you destroy them.
a range is good.
cast iron for high temp things like steaks, enamel for things that are deglazed, stews, spag bol etc and hard anodized for general frying like the eggs and anything else you want non stick for. Remember metal handles for oven use and lids for a lot of them are useful.

or if not so into cooking and just want something cheap, tefal when theyre on 50% off.

Soldato
These are good, easyrider. Worth consideration unless you've ordered a pan already.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/ikea-365-frying-pan-art-10329898/

My Ikea 365+ pans are still in excellent condition after 2 years. I don't do a lot of frying but it's had fair use and I always use a little bit of oil or butter. The wok has had more use and far outlasted any other similar priced ones I've thrown away. I took these pics just now.

https://s18.postimg.cc/3kd1i7f6h/20180416_190225.jpg
https://s18.postimg.cc/fyztikop5/20180416_190253.jpg

Soldato
(BAD PURECHASE) these are hard anodized .. but the concentric ridges, are crummy and just allow fat to catch in the dips and are hard to clean

Circulon TOTAL Non Stick System
Circulon features the technologically advanced TOTAL Nonstick System which combines a relaxed Hi-Low wave technology with one of the most nonstick coatings available.

Food cooks and releases on the entire surface of the pan. But raised circles on the 'Hi' area allow a fraction of the cooking surface to take all of the abuse of utensils, protecting the majority of the cooking surface on the 'Low' area from abrasion. The result of this has been enhanced cooking performance and nonstick durability.

41503031821_2d4b9565ba_o_d.jpg

Soldato
How thick are they on the bottom? From your pics they look pretty good.

The bottom section joined to the pan is just over 1cm thick, but it's hard to tell if it's a solid piece stuck on or a hollow piece shaped around the base of the main pan. Feels solid enough though. I've done a quick video and tapped both pans. Maybe you can tell by the sounds? :D

Caporegime
OP
The bottom section joined to the pan is just over 1cm thick, but it's hard to tell if it's a solid piece stuck on or a hollow piece shaped around the base of the main pan. Feels solid enough though. I've done a quick video and tapped both pans. Maybe you can tell by the sounds? :D

Typical drummer :D

I've bought the De Buyer one...fancy a play with the seasoning aspect plus I can bang it in the oven for stuff...

I'll do a video of before seasoning and after :D my goal is a deep black patina :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Turning the pan upside down (so you get an even coating) and leaving it in the oven for a couple of hours will do it :p

What will take you a couple of months is getting used to the weight. At least they're lighter than cast iron!

Caporegime
Soldato
(BAD PURECHASE) these are hard anodized .. but the concentric ridges, are crummy and just allow fat to catch in the dips and are hard to clean

41503031821_2d4b9565ba_o_d.jpg
I concur. We have a set of these and they've gone the same way. As @a1ex2001 says, it's from over heating. (At least that's what Circulon told me before they grudgingly replaced the largest of our pans under their warranty. To be fair, the replacement seems to be faring better).

I might be mistaken, but I think the copperstone pans mentioned by @HazardO are stocked by Tesco and are on offer in our local shop. If they're the same, I thought they looked decent.

Back
Top Bottom