• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
I could see the value in paying £700 for a 1080Ti if PC games were producing visuals better than what God Of War on PS4 Pro is turning out, but there isn't a single game on PC that looks as good as it does on a crappy old 2014 era, 4.2Tflop GPU.

All goes to show the old saying...it's not what you've got but how you use it.

Umm dont quite agree.

Most ports I play, I mod them, the mod tends to add software HDR, extra AA, and to boot I tend to also get better performance.

As an example FF15 on the ps4 vs the PC is a pretty big difference visually especially when you enable high res assets. Plus the ps4 version is a jittery mess, the PC version isnt perfect but its a massive improvement frame pacing wise.

Been honest with console gaming I have never felt I have had value for money. Having to deal with propriety cables etc., so when a new console comes out, the cables etc. all have to be purchased again. New console means paying for the entire unit, so even tho my PS3 has a bluray drive, I have to pay for another bluray on the PS4. No backward compatibility meaning I cannot sell the old console so need to have two and also more clutter with both consoles been connected. Then on top of that if I played online there is the silly monthly fees.

The PS4 in particular feels bad value, as a higher model got released only after a couple of years, and a PS5 seems to be coming already even tho the PS4 has a pretty small game library, the games library for the PS4 is tiny compared to both the PS2 and PS3.

Rup

Rup

Associate
Dont like the massive GPU prices increases, and they've still not come down, but PC gaming is way better.
Got GOW 4 on order but know i'll hate 30 fps.

Ive got a 1440p ultrawide screen, 75 fps freesync, looks amazing.

Also hate playing with Joypad, need steering wheel for racing & keyboard & mouse for FPS.

Work harder, get paid more, get a high end PC and enjoy a far better gaming experience. :)

Soldato
I could see the value in paying £700 for a 1080Ti if PC games were producing visuals better than what God Of War on PS4 Pro is turning out, but there isn't a single game on PC that looks as good as it does on a crappy old 2014 era, 4.2Tflop GPU.

All goes to show the old saying...it's not what you've got but how you use it.

Its also much easier to get the most out of your resources when you have only 1-2 hardware targets to hit.

When you have to make a engine and do production values on a massive range of hardware its a lot harder to get the most at of any of said hardware in that range.

Personally I prefer a PC build of Horizon, best looking game out there full stop imo pc or console on a PS4 pro in HDR

Soldato
Work harder, get paid more, get a high end PC and enjoy a far better gaming experience. :)
No amount of money will let you play an exclusive on a PC - that's why I have my PS4 Pro, just for that.

What saddens me as a PC gamer is over the last year or so some of my favourite gaming has been on the PS4. Sure you can moan about lower frame rates, worse graphics etc but to me it's the gameplay that matters and most of the PS4 exclusives really nail that.

Rup

Rup

Associate
Tried the big PS4 exclusives like Uncharted, GT Sport etc, still prefer similar on pc.
I really dont like joypads.

Also steering wheels nowhere near as good. Tried my expensive Fanatec wheel base on Forza 7 on Xbox one, felt awful.
Same wheel, so much better on Forza 7 on PC.

Associate

Hmm, not sure I agree. There are limits to how much i'm willing to pay for things based on what i'm prepared to pay for them even if the market says somthing else.

Other things would take precidence.

£700 for a gfx card alone? No

Soldato
well technically he said harder not faster.

How do you work harder without working faster?

If you are not giving 100% effort then start giving 100% effort then you are working faster (achieving more in same time)

If you become more efficient you become faster at working.

Please give me an example of working harder without increasing your speed.

What job guarantees you more money for working harder? Yes I know you can get promoted, get more sales etc. But only working longer hours or achieving more in a given time at piece rates guarantees you more money.

Work harder in this case = git gud.

Associate
How do you work harder without working faster?

If you are not giving 100% effort then start giving 100% effort then you are working faster (achieving more in same time)

If you become more efficient you are becoming more fast.

Please give me an example of working harder without increasing your speed.

What job guarantees you more money for working harder? Yes I know you can get promoted, get more sales etc. But only working longer hours or achieving more in a given time at piece rates guarantees you more work.

Work harder in this case = git gud.
well, working harder would imply you are giving work more effort, possibly implying more shifts undertaken, more overtime etc. if you are sales based, being more motivated to phone people and er sell stuff.

yeah loads of jobs wouldn't get you any more money from working harder or indeed faster, mine included. but still, doesn't mean hes piecemeal.

Associate
The PS4 in particular feels bad value, as a higher model got released only after a couple of years, and a PS5 seems to be coming already even tho the PS4 has a pretty small game library, the games library for the PS4 is tiny compared to both the PS2 and PS3.

Trick with consoles is never to buy at the start of a new generation. I held fire until the Pro came along and by then there was a decent selection of excellent games, all that could be picked up cheap in sales and off thebay. I've owned every Playstation since the original, and I have to say the PS4 generation has been the best by far for me.

PS5? No chance. 2020 at the earliest. So the PS4 range will have had a good long run. And let's not forget, there are people on this forum who change graphics cards more frequently than most of us change socks, so the PS4 will have had a terrific run in comparison. ;)

Rup

Rup

Associate
Do you get paid piece rates at work so you actually get paid more the faster the you work?

Can't believe nobody's destroyed you for this comment.

Obviously if u work harder u get better pay rises/bonuses etc. Can’t believe u don’t understand that.

Associate
Obviously if u work harder u get better pay rises/bonuses etc. Can’t believe u don’t understand that.

In an Ideal world this would be the case but currently in a lot of multi national companys all extra profit goes to the share holders and not the workers. I know in the industry I am in that pay and conditions have reduced since the last recession and yes volumes have increased above the pre recession levels but the pay rises since have been below the rate of inflation and no bonuses paid.

Do not Judge that every ones situation to be the same as yours.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are we going to see GPU prices come down again? They went up pretty fast due to the weakness of the pound.

The pound has climbed to its highest level since Britain's vote to leave the European Union in June 2016.

Sterling has been boosted by expectations that the Bank of England will raise interest rates.

Dollar weakness after uncertainty about US trade policy has also been a contributory factor, traders said.

The pound gained more than 0.2% to $1.437, beating a previous post-Brexit-vote high set in January.

Sterling was flat against the euro.

The pound sank in June 2016 after the Brexit vote, hitting $1.2068 in January of last year.

But since the beginning of 2017 it has started to recover.

Back
Top Bottom