Ryzen 1700 + 8 Pack 3200 ram = unstable

Soldato
@8 Pack

Please help. :(

Before purchasing the 8 pack Team Group 3200MHz ram my PC was stable.

I was running 1.35v on my 1700 @ 3.8Ghz. Happily stable since Sep 2017.

I bought the 8 pack ram a few days ago. Reset my bios to defaults set the DOCP profile applied my cpu overclock and played away. Within 20 mins of either BF 1 or Assassins Creed Origins game freezes but windows is OK.

The first thing I did was verify the ram worked. I reset the CPU to stock and applied the DOCP profile.

I played about 4 hrs with no issues.

Next thing I did was with RAM OC in place, I tested my CPU. Eventually by upping the volts from 1.35v to 1.36xx it passed 3hrs in Prime 95.

However I am still experiencing lock-ups when I play games.

I have been slowly upping the SOC so far up to 1.15v and still no luck.

I tried setting the SOC back to auto and applying 1.4v to the ram, still lock-ups.

I tried setting my CPU to 3.7Ghz and using the DOCP at default settings but it still locks up.

Why is my CPU and RAM independently stable but not together?

Any ideas?

With the CPU OC in place, as a test should I set my DRAM to 1.4v and the SOC to 1.2v to see if it is OK?

Because if that doesn't solve the issue then I don't know what will.

---

Edit.

I tried 1.2v on the SOC and 1.4v dram and still locks up.

This was with my CPU at 3.8Ghz which as I said above independently is stable for 3hrs in prime 95.

Last edited:
Associate
Crappy IMC on that 1700. I have the exact same issue with mine. Mine won't even boot in the morning without me pressing reset 20+ times. I'm hoping I won't have these issues with Ryzen 2

Permabanned
Soldato
OP
I'd be more inclined to get rid of that 1700 ;)

Yea I think I will.

Either take another punt on Ryzen with the 2700x or go with my brain and get a 8700k.

I see the 2700x base clock is basiclbas my overclock so even at stock it will match my current CPU.

Not sure what to do with ram. Return it and buy 3600MHz when the dust has settled.

I've had it 6 days so far so need to make my mind up quick. I have up to 14days right to return it?

Other complication is I have a buyer for my Corsair ram set for today.

If I end up sending this 8 pack ram back I will theoretically be left with no ram.

Soldato
OP
I would 100% recommend going back to stock and tweaking using this, mentioned above.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...lator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html

This calculator got me up to 3333 with my lpx memory and 3200 fast timings with daughters 8 pack memory.

Once you ram is HCI memtest stable then start clocking the CPU.

I tried playing with this with no luck when I had my Corsair ram installed.

That's why I thought sod this I just want plug and play ease.

So I bought the 8 Pack ram... which works when CPU is at stock.

But something is falling over when I apply a Prime 3hrs stable cpu overclock.

Permabanned
I've had no problems with a 1600x and 3200 8pack ram on an M-ATX Asus prime B350 board, It seemed okay at 4ghz but it red screened in Superposition so I dropped back to 3.9 GHZ. I've since found out that for me Superposition crashes my system no matter what I do if I try to use it at 3440x1440. Every other test I do works fine but not even stock clocks on everything is okay at 3440x1440 for some reason. I never bothered going into the bios to turn it back up though. It also boots up okay at 4.1 GHZ but the high voltages and the fact that I'm only using a low profile air cooler put me off even bothering to run tests on it. The memory has behaved perfectly to date. Because it's 14,14,14,31 and supposed to be good for overclocking I was going to run some tests with it at 3200 and then at higher clocks with this cpu first and then with a Ryzen + cpu to see how the speed increase affects performance with each one.

Associate
The calculator is probably a nice tool to use provided you have a half decent IMC on your CPU. If the IMC is garbage though, it's probably not gonna get you any better results.

Soldato
Aida64 stress test with just Cache and Memory selected seems to be really good at finding memory problems quickly on Ryzen from my experience. Did you try RAM at 3066MHz down to 2133 MHz and CPU stock and overclocked? Have you tried increasing CPU core voltage instead of SOC and DRAM?

When the PC freezes does it hard freeze forcing you to press the reset button or does the application just crash with it has stopped working message? I had the former problem with a faulty Asus Sabertooth X99 board, since the problem randomly occurred it was very difficult to troubleshoot.

Soldato
OP
Aida64 stress test with just Cache and Memory selected seems to be really good at finding memory problems quickly on Ryzen from my experience. Did you try RAM at 3066MHz down to 2133 MHz and CPU stock and overclocked? Have you tried increasing CPU core voltage instead of SOC and DRAM?

When the PC freezes does it hard freeze forcing you to press the reset button or does the application just crash with it has stopped working message? I had the former problem with a faulty Asus Sabertooth X99 board, since the problem randomly occurred it was very difficult to troubleshoot.

Games freeze. But windows is still stable.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
But something is falling over when I apply a Prime 3hrs stable cpu overclock.

You can't think like that. That previous OC is irrelevant now you've changed your memory. As @Zeed mentioned, the higher you OC your memory the harder it is on your CPU. It's a balancing act, and you'll need to rework your CPU OC from scratch.

Reset everything, this is very important! Make sure you have properly reset your BIOS back to defaults, saved & exited. Then set memory to 3200 and stock settings via DOCP, then run tests to confirm stability. If it's stable you know the memory is fine, and you know your IMC is fine while the CPU is at stock.

Then start bringing up your CPU OC slowly until you reach instability. Try fixing it with additional Vcore until stable, if more Vcore doesn't help, then try upping SoC voltage and see if you can return to stability that way. Then slowly increase core speed again until instability returns, rinse and repeat until you reach the point where no amount of additional voltage helps and back it back down to last good settings.

Also if you want a faster indication of system stability use IBT 20 loops V.High. It'll very quickly fall over if your mem/cpu isn't stable.

Back
Top Bottom