Another red bites the dust

Associate
Got just one 4TB red and touch wood it's still going after 4 years.

Tried and external 8TB WD and the thing made a right racket at idle, sounded like it was constantly accessing the disc even though it should be idle. As soon as you actually opened a file it shut up, returned it as a result. I'm wondering if the bare drives do that as well because I'd really like to replace a 6TB with either an 8 or 10TB but if it's not idle when it should be it'll drive me mad sitting next to it. Can anyone comment on the idle noise of the 8-10TB drives?

Associate
Just to add to this, I bought 8 4tb reds about 6 months ago. Of these drives 3 failed within 2 months with 2 RMA replacements DOA. I can’t help but think something happened at the factory in terms of QA at some point and failed drives have been released into the wild.

At the same time a friend of mine bought 5 x 4tb, 2 of these were DOA.

It would seem that WD have done a bait and switch. They have built their reputation and now are cost cutting as hard as the brand can take until sales suffer.

Associate
I do wonder how much of this is due to poor packaging when buying the drives from certain river based retailers. I've found after testing properly it's quite rare for drives to die for at least a year or two of hard use. Also cooling on some of the small home NAS boxes is really terrible, which would account for the difference seen between home use and work use.

Associate
You could be right but I wouldn’t only blame retailers I had 2 sent direct to me and the packaging was appalling. The drives used to come in a plastic tray with bubble wrap around them, no longer, paper is now the weapon of choice. Seagate packaging was much better.The worst were amazon France where the bare drive was effectively inside the box with a tiny price of crumpled up paper for protection. But the boxes looked like they had come that way from the factory as the stickers on the outside was the same as the others and the box seals did not look like they had been changed.

Soldato
I do wonder how much of this is due to poor packaging when buying the drives from certain river based retailers. I've found after testing properly it's quite rare for drives to die for at least a year or two of hard use. Also cooling on some of the small home NAS boxes is really terrible, which would account for the difference seen between home use and work use.
"Bulk" boxed drives from manufacturers should be shipped to distributors and shops inside bigger boxes holding something like couple dozen of drives with drive sized individual holes/"slots" cut into cushioning foam.
It would likely become expensive for manufacturer to ship drives in insufficient packing which would make them start taking damage from any smaller bumps...
But after that they have unfortunately little control over packaging.
So certainly would be wary about small unknown sellers.

Last time I bought HDDs (2x 5TB Reds) they came with manufacturer ESD bagged drives inside individual smaller foam cushioned boxes which where then in bigger box with further cushioning.
Would call that as 10 out of 10 for packaging.

Associate
OP
Just RMA'd a 1Tb WD Black drive which I used for storing my downloads onto. Got read errors but managed to copy off the data. Tested it on WD Diags and it failed.

I just got an email today with notification that a replacement is shipping out for Monday and they are sending a 2TB Black instead of the 1TB which is a bonus.

I was going to sell the replacement on ebay especially as I have already replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB drive. I might still sell it if they send a recertified one.

Back
Top Bottom