Should I buy a mirrorless?

Soldato
Hey all,

So I've got a dlsr, 2 lenses.
And I've got in the habit of never taking it anywhere..... :/

I find it big and bulky, though have no problem with using all the settings and everything. I also love (some of) the photos I can take with it.

Though I've got 2 lenses, I really rarely changed them and found I could take satisfying picture with whichever I had on at the time.

I'm just wondering if a mirrorless would give me the carry-ability I want that'll get me back in the habit of taking photos again.

Soldato
I was in the same boat as you,big DSLR and never took it out,sold everything (had a Nikon D7000+5 lens) and got a Sony A6000 and was blown away by it.

Then came the time to get a new lens,had a look around and found them to be out of my budget,they are so expensive compared to a DSLR lens.

Sold the Sony and went back to a DSLR (got a canon now) and I'm happy again,I always take it out and make a habit of it.

Have a think what you want and need and your budget.
A decent lens for the Sony was ££££

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on the mirrorless really.

Whilst the body of something like an A7 is smaller, when you stick a good lens on it, it may as well be a DSLR.

Have you thought about something like the Sony RX100 ?

Soldato
OP
I wasn't really looking for a compact,
I'd looked at the likes of a couple of the sonys, fujifilm xt1
But wasn't sure what I'd be getting/losing getting one.

Tbh Schizo's reply makes it sound like a good avenue, I probably wouldn't move into multiple lenses (he says) so I might start looking for things to get some hands on

Soldato
The best gear is the one with you when you need it. If something is too heavy to be taken outdoors then it doesn't justify its value and should be sold asap to avoid further depreciation despite the sunk cost.

Mirrorless is the future direction. Canon and Nikon will eventually get there.

Soldato
The best gear is the one with you when you need it.

Beaten, but I came just to post this. I'm way out of touch on gear now but the best camera is the one you have with you. If thats a compact or even your phone then so be it. If you will carry a mirrorless with you day to day, keep it in your bag, your car and take more photos as a result then go nuts.

Caporegime
I am in a fortunate position to have the choice of both APSC and FF mirrorless and FF DSLR, the question of taking the camera out isn’t a question of size as every one of them fit will inside a messenger bag (and none of the will fit into my jeans pocket), the question of whether I take it out is whether I have the intention to do so.

I don’t really consider 1 body and 1 lens to be an obstacle to anyone who wants to go out and take a photo, especially when you say you are happy with either lenses, no matter which one. The question comes down to intent, if you want to shoot, you will go shoot so don’t be fooled that you will take more photos because you get a mirrorless. You might do that initially due to having a new toy to play with but in the long run, once the honeymoon period is over, I would expect you will fall back into the old habit.

I am totally the same, between jobs, between holidays, I seldom take my camera out and about, I really don’t go on purpose photography walks, partly because I shoot enough between paid jobs and holiday to satisfy my needs. So if would suggest you look at your habit and perhaps changing that instead of spending money first.

p.s. unless you go APSC mirrorless, FF mirrorless isn’t that much smaller lenses wises. So I presume that’s what you mean, say a Fuji X-mount or Sony A6xxx bodies E-Mount (not FE mount) bodies.

However, if you want a new toy to play with, no harm there either, just go for it, if that’s what you need to get your photography kick going again, go for it. But I don’t really understand the size to be an issue, unless your current body is 1Dxm2 and your favourite lens is a 300mm/2.8. I can walk around all day with a 5D4 with a 35L all the time and I don’t notice the weight.

Soldato
OP
Well my camera only comes out on holidays and birthdays as it is, pictures of the family.
I don't consider bringing it to say, nice days in the park etc. And after I do regret not bringing it.
I think that APSC is what I was looking at yeah.

I completely understand the 'new toy' problem. And I know I'm bad for it :/

It stems from getting the 50mm for my Canon and it feeling much nicer to carry with the shorter lens, then thinking if everything else could just be a bit scaled back I could feel like it's 'a camera in my bag' rather than 'the bag for my camera' which it becomes with my Canon

Caporegime
I’m getting a new camera soon and may have got a mirrorless if it weren’t for the reasons Schizo stated. Lenses are just way too expensive for a hobbyist. With a DSLR, I can go on the likes of eBay, MBP and others and get good lenses for very reasonable prices. I’ve decided to stick with a DSLR and am just waiting for the right deal on a used D7200.

Soldato
I have both a Nikon 35MM frame dSLR and a Fuji mirrorless APS-C camera,and the main advantage I have seen is with battery life,and ease of getting lenses with the dSLR. However,the mirrorless camera is just more compact and lighter than even my mates APS-C dSLRs. In the end I tend to take the Fuji out with me more often despite the disadvantages.

Associate
I have just brought a mirrorless for that reason, a EOS M5, its a lot smaller so easier to carry but with the adaptor I can if I wish use it with my larger lenses.

Soldato
My go to and most used lens is the XF100-400 and carrying is not and never has been an issue.
Got to echo this:
the question of taking the camera out isn’t a question of size as every one of them fit will inside a messenger bag (and none of the will fit into my jeans pocket), the question of whether I take it out is whether I have the intention to do so.

Soldato
I will echo what raymond said,you have to want to take the camera out,get used to going to the park and take the camera with you,it will become the same as taking your wallet with you.

Soldato
Unless you can slip it into a pocket or a bag that you would normally carry then even a m4/3 body would need to be carried in the same way as any other system.
I moved from full frame Canon to m4/3 Olympus because of the type of photography I adopted. I shoot mostly wildlife because its what I’m best at and what I enjoy most in it’s execution.

Reaching my advanced age the necessity to lug around a massive body and lens combination gradually sapped my will to continue with my hobby so I switched to m4/3. It’s infinitely more portable and I can spend all day in the field.

There is a “downside”. I’ve found the learning curve of mastering the half frame sensor more difficult than I imagined, I don’t think my images with m4/3 are really quite up there with what I had achieved with full frame but I think I’ll probably get there eventually.

If my photography was not wildlife then I would not have made the switch. I still can’t let go and my 1dx still sits in my study :D

Associate
I've had a an A6000 for almost 2 years now and wouldn't be without it. The A6000 with the kit lens is just great when it comes to size vs performance. I've got a 50mm f1.8 for it and for me that is the carry everywhere kit, it fits in my pockets and comes almost everywhere with me.

I also shoot with a Sony RX100 and a Sony A7. RX100 is great but doesn't come close to the A6000, don't let people tell you it does.

The A7 is a dream to shoot with in low light. I normally use it for gigs, portraits or street stuff at night with an 85mm or a 50mm. With one of those FE lenses added it is still way smaller and lighter than a lot of other set ups.

I've been doing photography for about 2 and a half years now and I really think that the size of the Sony stuff has been a huge factor.

Soldato
Is the A6000 better than the rx100 in your eyes ?
I have a Sony compact camera and use it now and again as it takes pretty good pictures,I was looking at getting a rx100 as a replacement for the older compact.

Associate
Is the A6000 better than the rx100 in your eyes ?
I have a Sony compact camera and use it now and again as it takes pretty good pictures,I was looking at getting a rx100 as a replacement for the older compact.
It's miles better, a little bigger but still very portable. When I'm travelling I often take the A6000 over my A7 and don't feel like its lacking at all.

Soldato
I loved my A6000 and people laughed as its so small,when i showed them the shots they were shocked how good they were and that was with the kit lens.

Soldato
Having owned an a6000 from launch and a few lenses, whilst the Sony bodies are decent, I'd advise not to get any model as the lens choice is poor and no decent fast general zoom is available. Nothing like fixed f2.8 or even f2.8-4. The kit lens is junk relative to the new bodies. The sigma 19mm 2.8 however for only £120 ish is amazing for the money.

Back
Top Bottom