Helmet removal in shops and the law?

Soldato
What is it?

I went into Sainsbury's and it's shop policy to remove for security to see your face. I did but asked them if they make people of religious persuasion take their head dresses off because they can't see their face.

They said no because it infringes on their rights and helmets intimidate people.

What's the law on this please? I've googled and cannot find much. I'm curious more than anything because it doesn't bother me removing it to make people feel better but when law is said I like to know who is right.

Soldato
Helmet for safety use is different to a Religious item of clothing tbh so they can and will ask you to remove it , just like a shop asking you to wear a T-shirt if you don't have one on, or shoes if your out bare foot, if you decline they can refuse to serve you.

Soldato
Seems to depend on the shop or petrol station.

Sometimes I'm asked to remove my helmet, sometimes not. Generally I do though because I have my earplugs in and can't hear a thing.

Soldato
For us it was a CCTV thing. If you ride off your a bloke in a helmet. we used to have the same policy at the pubs I worked at for baseballcaps etc. Not bothered about you putting it back on after you got in but we wanted CCTV in case of an incident

Soldato
OP
Helmet for safety use is different to a Religious item of clothing tbh so they can and will ask you to remove it , just like a shop asking you to wear a T-shirt if you don't have one on, or shoes if your out bare foot, if you decline they can refuse to serve you.

This is the line I don't get. The excuse was because they can't see my face so security. They can't with certain veils so same security rules should apply to all?

I'm not anti religious or anything as each to their own and I was curious.

I've seen 8 year old threads but obviously rules change often.

Soldato
AFAIK there isn't a law, its just policy that most petrol stations make up as and when they feel like it.

Filled up at same petrol stations for years then one day you'll get someone that starts being awkward over the tannoy.
Most annoying one was a shell garage, started an argument because he wanted me to remove my helmet to use PAY AT PUMP, of which I had already put in £15 before he turned off the pump.... Haven't been back since, I know they won't care but at least it makes me feel better over £100 of fuel a month is going elsewhere :p

Man of Honour
It's their shop their rules as long as they're not discriminating against a protected characteristic then you can oblige or go elsewhere.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
If you live in a ghetto they'll ask you to remove it, around my area I never been declined service whilst wearing my helmet. Some parts of London and Luton I've been asked to remove the helmet though...

Last edited:
Associate
It’s for security purposes in and around the city where I live, seen a few pictures on doors.

Please take off helmets

And a picture of a Security camera.

Especially see it at banks and petrol stations. but will depend where you go

Soldato
It is really random, usually I fill up on the same petrol station, sometimes they ask to remove sometimes don't.

But last year coming back from the Beach I went to a petrol station, filled up without removing my helmet and went to pay...
Then the guy asked: why you don't have a number plate?
me: what??? I do.. pointed to my bike just to find out that I lost it. (so no more plastic bolts)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I always remove my helmet when going in shops, but typically go to pay-at-pump so I can leave it on when filling up.

Never had a funny bugger on the speaker, asking me to remove it. Possibly because you have to pay before you fill?

Question: do people with flip-up face helmets get away with just opening the face in shops? Always wondered if they’re more convenient than full face helmets.

Man of Honour
My next helmet will be a flip up one as I find it such a faff removing my helmet just to fill up with fuel. I often seek out automated fuel stations to avoid needing to remove it.

Glasses are always a pain and my ears are very sensitive so it hurts to put it on and take it off unless I buy a poorly fitting helmet that's too loose.

Back
Top Bottom