*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
well it would go against forum rules to say, but something is planned for the switch this summer and nintendo are launching v2 consoles (revised motherboard) in response to what's going on.
anyone who has a switch now should keep it, as once all the v1 machines are sold the resale value will go up.
I assume you're referring to the fact it's been cracked and opened up opportunity for piracy/homebrew, which a move from Tegra 210 to 214 is designed to stop?

Associate
I finished Zelda but it felt more tech demo than real game, it was amazing but not fun. Mario was very slick but largely too easy and I can’t by bothered to keep going after completing the main story.

Skyrim though has hooked me, it’s brilliant to be able to pick and up and play on a handheld.

Agreed except for Zelda, Mario was just okay but Skyrim feels amazing on a handheld

Associate
People play Mario games for the story? :o:D

I agree the game is a little on the easy side, but much of Odyssey's challenge and best parts come after the credits roll. I'm always surprised when folk say its too easy but don't continue to play even though they enjoyed it.
The main path is just a warm up really, or something for the more casual players to enjoy. Mario games have been that way for a while.

Man of Honour
People play Mario games for the story? :o:D

I agree the game is a little on the easy side, but much of Odyssey's challenge and best parts come after the credits roll. I'm always surprised when folk say its too easy but don't continue to play even though they enjoyed it.
The main path is just a warm up really, or something for the more casual players to enjoy. Mario games have been that way for a while.

I've 100% completed Mario Odyssey and it's one of the easiest games in the series. I still enjoyed it a lot though, it was really charming.

Soldato
Does anyone know if there are different versions of the dock, or possibly updated firmware for it? I've bought a 2nd dock off Ebay (an official one), but even with the same cables as I'm using with my dock I get no video or audio from it, but the green light on the dock comes on, and the switch screen goes off, so there's definitely sufficient power etc. Sell says they tested it before sending it out and it worked fine for them.

Soldato
There is this to think about:

Writing on its Japanese support site, Nintendo has clarified that using third-party USB-C cables with the Switch is okay, so long as they contain a 56kΩ resistor.

This should prevent any dodgy cables from over-charging and damaging your console, or causing it to take too long to charge, reports Ars Technica.

I don't know how important that is, but I bought a new cable because of it.

I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011995DDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Man of Honour
There is this to think about:

Writing on its Japanese support site, Nintendo has clarified that using third-party USB-C cables with the Switch is okay, so long as they contain a 56kΩ resistor.

This should prevent any dodgy cables from over-charging and damaging your console, or causing it to take too long to charge, reports Ars Technica.

I don't know how important that is, but I bought a new cable because of it.

I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011995DDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good to know!

Man of Honour
I've never heard of that, thanks for sharing.

Edit: Having read up on the topic it looks like the risk is only to your charger/port and not the Switch. If you have both a dodgy cable AND a dodgy port/charger that will give as much as the device asks instead of a safe limit then you can damage your port/charger.

Associate
Thinking of buying a switch second hand. Anything I should be looking out for?

Also, what's the deal with digital games on second hand switches? I've seen loads being sold with them on. Will they still work when I sign in using a different account to the one that purchased the game?

Soldato
Pretty sure if it's installed on the system it's there for everyone. I've got multiple accounts and they can all see and use the same content.

When you start a game it even prompts you asking which account you want to use before it launches.

Back
Top Bottom